The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Best Monitor Setup Under $2000 Studio Monitors
Old 15th December 2018
Gear Maniac

Best Monitor Setup Under $2000

Hey. So I’m making a studio out of a 15.6 x 7 x 8 room in my house. I’m getting it acoustically treated via RealTraps. I’m currently using JBL LSR 308s in my untreated room, but I’m looking to upgrade. So far I’ve looked at Adam A7X, Genelec M040, Neumann KH 120 (possibly with the Neumann KH 805 sub). Are there any other options I should be considering/what could y’all recommend? I make hip hop btw
Old 15th December 2018
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snow Fox View Post
Hey. So I’m making a studio out of a 15.6 x 7 x 8 room in my house. I’m getting it acoustically treated via RealTraps. I’m currently using JBL LSR 308s in my untreated room, but I’m looking to upgrade. So far I’ve looked at Adam A7X, Genelec M040, Neumann KH 120 (possibly with the Neumann KH 805 sub). Are there any other options I should be considering/what could y’all recommend? I make hip hop btw
Hello,

One lsr310 for each lsr308.
Old 15th December 2018
Gear Maniac

two subs?
Old 16th December 2018
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snow Fox View Post
two subs?
One left and one right
Old 16th December 2018
Lives for gear

neumann kh120 with single sub kh805 - if you got some money left, get a broadband mono center speaker such as the fostex 6301
Old 16th December 2018
Lives for gear
two 8 pouces have a surface of 2xpi*4² = 100 pouces²

one 10 pouces have a surface of pi*5² =78 pouces²

Change lsr 308 for two 5 pouces + one sub 10 pouce is a regression.
Decrease the emissive surface
Decrease the smoothing of accidents in the low
Increase the distortion upon 80 Hz
Increase the setup difficulty (time alignement with which speaker ?)

There are on GS a subject on the advantage of the sub in stereo.

Ancient owner of a KH810 coupled with K+H O300. The extention of the sub in the low 18 Hz is true, but i never verify the spl capability at 18 Hz.
Old 16th December 2018
Lives for gear

the discussion of using a single or multiple subs is a discussion of whether to use subs to smoothen room issues or using subs for lf extension only - i much prefer treating the room in a way so i can use but a single sub and i rather spend money on a speaker processor than on a second sub.

each way has its quirks and dis-advantages...

owner of both kh805 and kh810 here (not getting used in the same room).
Old 16th December 2018
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by deedeeyeah View Post
the discussion of using a single or multiple subs is a discussion ...
NOT
Old 16th December 2018
Lives for gear
i forget :

the summation stereo to mono in the bass create an electronic comb filtering.

If the listening of the vinyl do not worry why not ?
Old 16th December 2018
Lives for gear
Not GS but

Stereo Subwoofers
Why Every Man Needs Two

https://kenrockwell.com/audio/stereo-subwoofers.htm
Old 16th December 2018
Lives for gear

you seem to have no idea how multiple subwoofers combine/interact...
Old 16th December 2018
Lives for gear
Quote:
you seem to have no idea how multiple subwoofers combine/interact...
a bad Sunday, a fight with mrs, what else?

For the rest, bla bla...
Old 16th December 2018
Lives for gear

i'm not having a bad sunday, but i can't stand statements as yours in posts #8-10 !

subs are about three things:

lf extention, 'room smoothing' and pattern control - the first needs no discussion, the second you denied (several threads here on gs, check them out) and third is not commonliy known/used in studios (and impossible to achieve in small rooms) but daily business in live sound (can recommend a paper by ev, most anything that bob mccarthy writes plus there are tons of literature/videos available)

regarding the use of 'stereo' subs: most music (for good reason) does not get mixed with bass panned to one side, hence using a single sub is not an issue - au contraire: with two subs, the distance between them (and their hf cut) heavily affects the response you - that's where i suspect you're not having much experience... - prove me wrong (and have a good sunday)!

dual subs is a different topic, using two or more subs yet another: i agree that when 'load' a room, then multiple subs can do so more efficiently but a single sub in a front corner is mostly enough for small rooms; same for lf extension.
Old 16th December 2018
Lives for gear
Quote:
i'm not having a bad sunday, but i can't stand statements as yours in posts #8-10 !

subs are about three things:

lf extention, 'room smoothing' and pattern control - the first needs no discussion, the second you denied (several threads here on gs, check them out) and third is not commonliy known/used in studios (and impossible to achieve in small rooms) but daily business in live sound (can recommend a paper by ev, most anything that bob mccarthy writes plus there are tons of literature/videos available)

regarding the use of 'stereo' subs: most music (for good reason) does not get mixed with bass panned to one side, hence using a single sub is not an issue - au contraire: with two subs, the distance between them (and their hf cut) heavily affects the response you - that's where i suspect you're not having much experience... - prove me wrong (and have a good sunday)!

dual subs is a different topic, using two or more subs yet another: i agree that when 'load' a room, then multiple subs can do so more efficiently but a single sub in a front corner is mostly enough for small rooms; same for lf extension.
You denie the fact that the bass reproduction in stereo is possible. It's a scoop.
For your information left and right in the real life is the stereo.
I repeat the rest is bla bla.
Old 16th December 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
neumann kh120 with single sub kh805 - if you got some money left, get a broadband mono center speaker such as the fostex 6301
Curious. Not sold on the Fostex, but why add BB mono unless it's a 5.1 system?
Old 16th December 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilRoy View Post
Curious. Not sold on the Fostex, but why add BB mono unless it's a 5.1 system?
localisation gets much more difficult towards the lower frequencies (to impossible at the bottom end). another reason you just mentioned: transition from 2.1 to any surround format is easier. another reason is that more than one sub is mostly not needed levelwise unless you have a rather wimpy model (the kh sub is quite powerful). and what mr. blabla denies: distance between subs their x-over/hi cut affect how they combine - too bad if at half the distance of the length of the wave of the x-over frequency 'cause you get max. cancellation...

Last edited by deedeeyeah; 17th December 2018 at 06:31 PM.. Reason: typo
Old 16th December 2018
Lives for gear
Ridiculous, you will revolution the audio world. All folks in studio and living room reproducing the bass in stereo are deaf.
Old 16th December 2018
Gear Maniac

You didn't say how many traps you're getting. Genelec SAM monitors will help in that situation to some extent by letting you reduce room modes in the speaker.
Old 17th December 2018
Here for the gear

Snow Fox,

Re: Best Monitor Setup Under $2,000 - Well, I would encourage you to increase the budget by $500 to save $500 by getting the A7X-SUB10 MK2 bundle. It's a really nice deal.
Attached Thumbnails
Best Monitor Setup Under 00-adam_bundle1.jpg  
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinococcus View Post
Ridiculous, you will revolution the audio world. All folks in studio and living room reproducing the bass in stereo are deaf.
i'm not trying to re-invent anything, i'm just reminding some folks that proper alignment in both the frequency and time domain (and hence regarding the phase) can yield stellar results when done properly, meaning one needs to consider a few more parameters than you seem to be willing to accept - your repeated personal attacks and unqualified statements clearly show that you have not much experience when it comes to alignment...
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
i'm not trying to re-invent anything, i'm just reminding some folks that proper alignment in both the frequency and time domain (and hence regarding the phase) can yield stellar results when done properly, meaning one needs to consider a few more parameters than you seem to be willing to accept - your repeated personal attacks and unqualified statements clearly show that you have not much experience when it comes to alignment...
Insert coins to play again.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilRoy View Post
...Not sold on the Fostex...
whether it's an auratone or a fostex: single band is thing - can drive my fostex digitally, hence my choice (and single center speaker to avoid listening to phantom center - not 'needed', but preferred by some)

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search