The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Best Alternative to Treating Walls in Small Project Studio Within Studio Complex?
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

Best Alternative to Treating Walls in Small Project Studio Within Studio Complex?

Hey y'all,

Got a bit of a weird situation here. I'm located in Brooklyn, and I just moved my stuff into an 115 SF rectangle room in a studio complex here, mostly filled with art studios and small businesses. The price per square foot was good, and I really didn't have much better options in a city where it's hard to find a good quiet space, so this is what I got.

Well, I found out that the walls have absolutely no insulation within them. Between rooms it's an empty shell of a wall. My neighbors are all creatives, either in art or video production, so they are all rather quiet, but my main concern is that I will be too loud for them. My goal is to keep as much sound in as I can. I understand that the best possible solution for keeping sound in and keeping sound out is a room within a room construction, but I just don't have that kind of space.

So, I'm looking for a next-best solution. I thought about making a bunch of acoustic panels with rockwool and fabric. Does anyone have any ideas on how I might be able to slightly reduce outgoing noise/incoming noise? I know that without isolation between walls it is near impossible. Just looking for ideas. Thanks.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

If you covered 100% of the surface area 1 foot thick with just rockwool, fiberglass, etc, you would only get around 3-6db reduction in noise.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search