The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Would love some help with new control room - includes measurements!
Old 6 days ago
Gear Nut

Would love some help with new control room - includes measurements!

Hey yall!

First time posting measurements I hope I did everything right. I am sure I didn't but I read through the sticky post 5 times, tried my best to keep everything clear and included the .mdat.

This is a new room for me and we kind of DIY'd the treatment before hearing what the room sounded like. I put in a cloud up because everyone needs a cloud right? And they look cool? Maybe not - I am not sure it really sounded that much better once we put it up.. it took down 130hz by almost 5db! So I took a little bit of the rigid out of it to compromise. I think I like it better here.

The back wall is 1.5 feet of the fluffy stuff. Rigid 1' panels on top of that. 4" of safe n sound on the side wall parts, covered by 1" rigid panels. Corner traps filled with rigid and some fluffy I think (with rigid on outside). I can find out more, didn't build it myself but had direction on what I thought would be a good starting point. The whole ceiling also has 1" panels rigid on it, but nothing behind that. Front wall untreated.

My first feeling when even walking into it before bringing in a speaker was a little lifeless and dead. With a speaker I had the same feeling. It also feels like with just the speakers and no sub, VERY bass light, as well as a little dull at times. There are very few sweet spots to put monitors or even a ghetto blaster. The middle of the room seems to have the least bottom end. After experimenting with sub positions I ended up having to put it on the left side, about 3.5 feet in the air. It actually sounds quite good there, and fairly miserable in any tradition sub spots.. the middle front of the room nope.. corners nope.. a little odd?

It sounds kinda good in here, I can get to work. But I have had better aspects in other rooms and I really like the vibe here and would like to make it great. I work on a lot of pop and alternative.. hip hop etc. Mastering as well. Would love it to sound great in here and if that means major changes that bring major benefits I am not opposed to going down that road. Things are a little disconnected right now in terms of impact and phase.. especially in the 100-300hz region. There is also something going on where the the speakers sound almost flattering and indecisive, which is not what I expect of proac studio 100s in most rooms I have used them in. Originally I was thinking flush mounting some of this stuff but we didn't do it. Not sure that would work in this room as even putting speakers very close to the front wall somehow doesn't sound that good. Front wall is untreated mind you.

All tests are done with the Studio 100s, the little guys which is what I mainly use. In The mday rew files I also included the big Studio 3s, "Towers" in file, they are great sounding speakers and basically unusable in here so far.

I got a Dayton UMM-6 and used the cal file to do these, the speakers are in a spot that makes sense for now. The further away they are from me it seems the more wild and unclear things get. Please let me know if there is anything else I can upload to help anyone willing to help me out.

I am gonna separate this into a few posts so its easier to digest.

Thank you!!
Old 6 days ago
Gear Nut

Pics

Pics of layout
Attached Thumbnails
Would love some help with new control room - includes measurements!-screen-shot-2018-12-04-12.36.29-pm.jpg   Would love some help with new control room - includes measurements!-screen-shot-2018-12-04-12.35.35-pm.jpg   Would love some help with new control room - includes measurements!-cloud-side-3-inches-deep-.jpg   Would love some help with new control room - includes measurements!-screen-shot-2018-08-09-9.08.06-am.jpg   Would love some help with new control room - includes measurements!-dw-studio-1.1-measurements.jpg  

Old 6 days ago
Gear Nut

pics

Pics of room
Attached Thumbnails
Would love some help with new control room - includes measurements!-img_3552.jpg   Would love some help with new control room - includes measurements!-img_3551.jpg   Would love some help with new control room - includes measurements!-img_3550.jpg   Would love some help with new control room - includes measurements!-deskk.jpg   Would love some help with new control room - includes measurements!-front-.jpg  

Last edited by West0n; 5 days ago at 05:17 PM..
Old 6 days ago
Gear Nut

Measurements

FR
Attached Thumbnails
Would love some help with new control room - includes measurements!-sub.jpg   Would love some help with new control room - includes measurements!-right.jpg   Would love some help with new control room - includes measurements!-left.jpg   Would love some help with new control room - includes measurements!-l-r-sub-zoom.jpg   Would love some help with new control room - includes measurements!-l-r.jpg  

Old 6 days ago
Gear Nut

Measurements

ETC
Attached Thumbnails
Would love some help with new control room - includes measurements!-sub-etc.jpg   Would love some help with new control room - includes measurements!-right-etc.jpg   Would love some help with new control room - includes measurements!-left-etc.jpg   Would love some help with new control room - includes measurements!-l-r-sub-etc.jpg   Would love some help with new control room - includes measurements!-l-r-etc.jpg  

Old 6 days ago
Gear Nut

Measurements

Waterfall
Attached Thumbnails
Would love some help with new control room - includes measurements!-sub-wf-zoom.jpg   Would love some help with new control room - includes measurements!-right-wf.jpg   Would love some help with new control room - includes measurements!-left-wf.jpg   Would love some help with new control room - includes measurements!-l-r-sub-wf-zoom.jpg   Would love some help with new control room - includes measurements!-l-r-waterfall-zoom.jpg  

Old 6 days ago
Gear Nut

REW mdat

mdat file (attempted to attach zip, linked in case)

WeTransfer

to anyone who got this far

i appreciate you!
Old 5 days ago
Gear Nut

Did I over share? :/

I can make the post smaller.
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by West0n View Post
Did I over share? :/

I can make the post smaller.
No problem with that

Takes some time to read through and many measurements to investigate.

Pls be patient

Cheers
Old 4 days ago
Gear Nut

Thanks akebrake! Appreciate it. No rush! I had trouble attempting to export wavs for anyone to evaluate, that part of it got confusing for me. Even when I download the mdat I linked to I am not certain is opens correct on other computers.
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
...Even when I download the mdat I linked to I am not certain is opens correct on other computers.
I'll guess people will tell if that's the case

It's quite common GS uploads their mdats directly here. Make sure files are not bigger than ≈10MB.

Your measurements looks valid and room description and photos are excellent.
Some bass is missing for sure... I will comment further shortly.

Two questions:
Is it possible to move your ProAc's (and Towers) very close to the front wall?

What is the big "dark box" on the left side close to the L Tower...Can you move it to the rear part of the room?. Is that an actual position for the measurements you have sent? (Try keeping the front part of the room as symmetrical a possible).

Cheers

PS There is a later version of REW available. (REW 5.20 Beta 1)
Old 4 days ago
Gear Nut

I can move them to the front wall and measure again. Things seem to fall a bit out of focus or something and I don't get the bottom end thump I would expect to when I put them there (but haven't measured there, I can do that!)

The sub (dark box) is what you're looking at on the far left and the measurement you're looking at is where it is in the pics, off to the side about 3.5 feet up in the air. It was pretty horrible sounding everywhere else. Anywhere in the middle of the room. My go to spot was the middle front of the room, then around the corners on the ground. None of those spots were sounding good to me. This very unconventional spot was the only one that made any sense to me. I can measure it somewhere else if it helps?

The sub is about the only thing thats sounding great to me, despite it being horrible to look at it.
Old 4 days ago
Gear Nut

front wall

Here is what the left speaker looks like if I put it on the back wall. Did a measurement before I moved it so the mic would be in same spot.

Maybe a huge cancellation happening on the side walls? Perhaps thats why the sub kinda works there. Idk.
Attached Thumbnails
Would love some help with new control room - includes measurements!-original-etc.jpg   Would love some help with new control room - includes measurements!-wall-etc.jpg   Would love some help with new control room - includes measurements!-original-wf.jpg   Would love some help with new control room - includes measurements!-wall-wf.jpg   Would love some help with new control room - includes measurements!-wall.jpg  

Would love some help with new control room - includes measurements!-original.jpg   Would love some help with new control room - includes measurements!-image1.jpg   Would love some help with new control room - includes measurements!-image2.jpg  
Old 3 days ago
Lives for gear

Testing testing

Quote:
... I don't get the bottom end thump I would expect to when I put them there (but haven't measured there, I can do that!)
Looks like you have gained some more lows by moving that speaker closer to the front wall. And some ETC peaks have diminished.

But will that position interact a lot/ differently to the other ProAc and the sub?
Is the Sub responsible for the low end alone (X-over?) or are all 3 playing lows?

BTW One of my favourite displays of low end is the Spectrogram/ Wavelet.
Very sensitive to differences in decay and early reflections.

This is what L+R+Sub looked like in the ”original” measurement.

We still have to find out what causes the nulls at 63Hz and hole at 112 Hz
Modes, SBIR, phase of Spkr combination...in spite of fairly heavy treatment.

Cheers

Would love some help with new control room - includes measurements!-l-r-sub-wave-orig.jpg

PS If you upload the mdat one can check differences (e.g with help of overlay) for a better comparison of ETC and WF.
Attached Thumbnails
Would love some help with new control room - includes measurements!-l-r-sub-wave-orig.jpg  
Old 3 days ago
Gear Nut

mdat attached for those last measurements!

right now all three are playing bottom end, but I can't really hear/feel much out of the proacs. It mostly comes from the sub. These two measurements were done with just the right speaker alone.

What does that wild spectro/wavelet look like in ideal world?
Attached Files
File Type: zip WALL VS ORIG.mdat.zip (3.94 MB, 2 views)
Old 3 days ago
Gear Nut

Also the ETC in the latest one seems to look worse than my original measurement from the first post. Another part of this whole thing that seems so elusive to me... move the mic an inch and many of the problem areas seem to change esp mids/highs.
Old 1 day ago
Gear Maniac

I don't have much to add but maybe moving the sub forward will help you reduce the time delay to the smaller monitors?

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search