The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Dirac Live Upgrade?
Old 23rd November 2018
Lives for gear

Dirac Live Upgrade?

How the heck can I upgrade to the full version?

So I purchased Dirac Live last august, the standard stereo version. Now id like to upgrade to the full version. However the upgrade link was not to be found at all yesterday. And today I cant even find the standard or full version for pc/mac at their web shop! Only a Black Friday sale on Dirac 2.0 software for a specific Nad product integration!

From the recipe mail they sent me in august it clearly said I had an option to upgrade to the full version:

"UPGRADE from Stereo Version to Full Version?
Pay ONLY the DIFFERENCE. Login at Avangate and myAccount, further down in this email is a unique link regarding this.
Go to My products and click on Upgrade now - the price will be adjusted automatically."

However there is no such thing to be found at the 2co myAccount who sort of handle their sales, nor from the user login page over at the Dirac Live homepage.

2CO Support Center
Home - Dirac

There is no upgrade path in my product page at 2co, and also nothing at Diracs Customer Portal. I can only download the standard licence again. I tried both Chrome and Firefox. Hopefully someone from Dirac will read this because so far I have not got any response to support email. To be fair its only been 24 hours. Really strange that they would make it impossible to purchase in the middle of a sales campaign! Im not a Nad user which this sale is for, but surely they would hope to bring other types of customers into the shop as well, for their standard Mac/PC app?

2co myAccount support replied quickly to support mail but they could not do anything about it.

Does anyone have any clue whats going on over at Dirac? Maybe the shop is temporarily down due to their black friday sale campaign..
Old 25th November 2018
Lives for gear

Update: I got a response email from them. So the shop is down because they are working on the 2.0 version! Hopefully this means its just around the corner. They did not say when its expected, but they offered me to take part in the beta. However the beta only runs at 48khz for now which I dont use unfortunatelly.

Sonarworks has 2 weeks money back guaranty.. I might try and use this while waiting. Was considering getting it for headphones work anyway so maybe I end up purchasing it too.
Old 16th May 2019
JGM
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimotei View Post
Update: I got a response email from them. So the shop is down because they are working on the 2.0 version! Hopefully this means its just around the corner. They did not say when its expected, but they offered me to take part in the beta. However the beta only runs at 48khz for now which I dont use unfortunatelly.

Sonarworks has 2 weeks money back guaranty.. I might try and use this while waiting. Was considering getting it for headphones work anyway so maybe I end up purchasing it too.
Any updates on what you ended up doing?
Old 16th May 2019
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGM View Post
Any updates on what you ended up doing?
He may still be sat in a room somewhere, talking to himself

But more on point; the Dirac HelpDesk would be my first port of call for any such enquiries. I’ve always found them to be very helpful and quick to reply.
Old 16th May 2019
JGM
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skol303 View Post
He may still be sat in a room somewhere, talking to himself

But more on point; the Dirac HelpDesk would be my first port of call for any such enquiries. I’ve always found them to be very helpful and quick to reply.
lol
Do you have a Dirac system?
Asking b/c in curious what it comes with (hardware/ software),and how it all integrates in a typical mixing studio setup?
Old 16th May 2019
Gear Addict

Quote:
Do you have a Dirac system?
Yep I’m running Dirac Live using a miniDSP hardware box, which is placed in my signal chain immediately before my monitor controller.

I’ve also used the Dirac software, which is exactly the same product but without the dedicated hardware box (in fact the software version has some useful features that the hardware version doesn’t have).

I’ve also tried Sonarworks, but I find Dirac to be well worth the extra money. It’s more customizable; the thinking behind the software is ‘smarter’; and it produces measurably better results, the big difference being:
  1. Dirac features an impulse response correction; and
  2. It’s frequency response correction applies only to problems that are common throughout the listening position, so it doesn’t attempt to EQ location-specific nulls caused by reflections.

By far the best DSP software available at that price point, in my experience.

Here’s a thread summarizing my experience of using it:
Room correction software (DSP) - optimising results for small rooms
Old 16th May 2019
JGM
Lives for gear

Quote:
Yep I’m running Dirac Live using a miniDSP hardware box, which is placed in my signal chain immediately before my monitor controller.

I’ve also used the Dirac software, which is exactly the same product but without the dedicated hardware box (in fact the software version has some useful features that the hardware version doesn’t have).

I’ve also tried Sonarworks, but I find Dirac to be well worth the extra money. It’s more customizable; the thinking behind the software is ‘smarter’; and it produces measurably better results, the big difference being:
  1. Dirac features an impulse response correction; and
  2. It’s frequency response correction applies only to problems that are common throughout the listening position, so it doesn’t attempt to EQ location-specific nulls caused by reflections.

By far the best DSP software available at that price point, in my experience.

Here’s a thread summarizing my experience of using it:
Room correction software (DSP) - optimising results for small rooms
Sorry for the questions, but I'm really trying to understand the Dirac system.
So are you saying that I have the option to use their hardware or their software, or a combination of both? Which in your opinion will give the best result for an untreated room (treatment is not an option at the moment, just looking to get the best possible sound in my current situation)?

Which of their products are you currently using in your setup?

Thanks for the thread. I will check it out.
Old 17th May 2019
Gear Addict

Quote:
Sorry for the questions, but I'm really trying to understand the Dirac system.
No problem! Questions are always good

Dirac don’t make hardware - they make digital signal processing (DSP) software. You can run the software as a standalone on PC or Mac no problem.

MiniDSP is a separate company that makes hardware boxes running Dirac software. I prefer this solution, because once the software is calibrated I just need to switch on the hardware box and it’s working straight away.

Both solutions are running the same core software, so in terms of results there’s no difference. However, the software-only version is updated more frequently by Dirac (because it’s their core product) and offers some features not found in the hardware version of the DSP programme. Notably, the ability to switch off the inter-speaker impulse response correction, which can cause phase problems when summing to mono if you’re not careful when setting up the software.

In summary: either solution is perfectly fine. The software by itself is cheaper, more frequently updated and has more features. The hardware boxes sold by miniDSP are more expensive, have fewer features but once set up can be ‘forgotten about’, which I find more convenient. That said, if I was buying afresh right now I’d probably opt for the software only.

Edit to add... using DSP software such as Dirac in an untreated room is fraught with problems. You really need to tackle the big problems with acoustic treatment and then consider using software once the ‘heavy lifting’ has been done.

That said, Dirac does take account of this to some extent - notably it only attempts to correct problems that are consistent throughout the listening area (so problems caused by reflections are generally left alone). If you are going to use the software without treatment, I’d recommend using a large-ish listening area during calibration (eg. the ‘sofa’ setting - that will make sense if you demo the software!) as this will help to ensure the software only tries to correct what is possible to correct, and no more. I.e. if you use a large area for the calibration, the software can more easily identify location-specific problems and leave them alone (meaning it won’t try to boost nulls unnecessarily).

In a well treated room, I’ve found that you can use a smaller area for the calibration - eg. just big enough for your chair movements when mixing - and get very good results. But that’s only with acoustic treatment in place first.
Old 17th May 2019
JGM
Lives for gear

Quote:
No problem! Questions are always good

Dirac don’t make hardware - they make digital signal processing (DSP) software. You can run the software as a standalone on PC or Mac no problem.

MiniDSP is a separate company that makes hardware boxes running Dirac software. I prefer this solution, because once the software is calibrated I just need to switch on the hardware box and it’s working straight away.

Both solutions are running the same core software, so in terms of results there’s no difference. However, the software-only version is updated more frequently by Dirac (because it’s their core product) and offers some features not found in the hardware version of the DSP programme. Notably, the ability to switch off the inter-speaker impulse response correction, which can cause phase problems when summing to mono if you’re not careful when setting up the software.

In summary: either solution is perfectly fine. The software by itself is cheaper, more frequently updated and has more features. The hardware boxes sold by miniDSP are more expensive, have fewer features but once set up can be ‘forgotten about’, which I find more convenient. That said, if I was buying afresh right now I’d probably opt for the software only.

Edit to add... using DSP software such as Dirac in an untreated room is fraught with problems. You really need to tackle the big problems with acoustic treatment and then consider using software once the ‘heavy lifting’ has been done.

That said, Dirac does take account of this to some extent - notably it only attempts to correct problems that are consistent throughout the listening area (so problems caused by reflections are generally left alone). If you are going to use the software without treatment, I’d recommend using a large-ish listening area during calibration (eg. the ‘sofa’ setting - that will make sense if you demo the software!) as this will help to ensure the software only tries to correct what is possible to correct, and no more. I.e. if you use a large area for the calibration, the software can more easily identify location-specific problems and leave them alone (meaning it won’t try to boost nulls unnecessarily).

In a well treated room, I’ve found that you can use a smaller area for the calibration - eg. just big enough for your chair movements when mixing - and get very good results. But that’s only with acoustic treatment in place first.
Thank you for taking the time to field my queries. I'll ry the software alone just to start to get a feel for the concept.
Have yo ever tried IK Multimedia ARC software? And do you think the mic that comes with the ARC would be ok to use with Dirac?

Thanks again.
Old 17th May 2019
Gear Addict

Quote:
Have yo ever tried IK Multimedia ARC software? And do you think the mic that comes with the ARC would be ok to use with Dirac?
I've no experience of using ARC, sorry, and I'm not familiar with the mic that comes with it. But I'm sure it would be perfectly fine, assuming it's a typical omnidirectional measurement mic?

I use a UMIK-1 mic myself, but have used other 'cheap and cheerful' omni-mics with Dirac Live and they all seem to work ok. So you shouldn't have any problems.

EDIT: Just had a quick Google and found an article on Sound On Sound that says the ARC MEMS mic can be used "for other studio recording activities", but also mentions that "due to its very small effective diaphragm, the low end rolls off below 60Hz more than the previous IK Mulitmedia mics or the studio mics I tested. But, of course, the ARC 2.5 software ‘knows’ this and takes it into account".

Perhaps just keep that in mind when testing it with the Dirac demo. And if you like the Dirac demo, you could always buy a UMIK-1 or similar quite cheaply.
Old 17th May 2019
JGM
Lives for gear

Quote:
I've no experience of using ARC, sorry, and I'm not familiar with the mic that comes with it. But I'm sure it would be perfectly fine, assuming it's a typical omnidirectional measurement mic?

I use a UMIK-1 mic myself, but have used other 'cheap and cheerful' omni-mics with Dirac Live and they all seem to work ok. So you shouldn't have any problems.

EDIT: Just had a quick Google and found an article on Sound On Sound that says the ARC MEMS mic can be used "for other studio recording activities", but also mentions that "due to its very small effective diaphragm, the low end rolls off below 60Hz more than the previous IK Mulitmedia mics or the studio mics I tested. But, of course, the ARC 2.5 software ‘knows’ this and takes it into account".

Perhaps just keep that in mind when testing it with the Dirac demo. And if you like the Dirac demo, you could always buy a UMIK-1 or similar quite cheaply.
I really appreciate you taking the time to answer my queries.
I’ll be looking into Dirac in a few weeks. Just waiting on a couple of things to come in.

Thanks again, you’ve been a great help.
Old 17th May 2019
Lives for gear

Hello :P

No, it does not seem to be released yet from their web site.
I ended up with both sonarworks and dirac last year.. But I prefer dirac if I could only get to pay for the damn i/o upgrade!

I did get in contact with them at the end of last year and they told me they could send me the beta. But I prefer just to wait for the released version.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

They're not telling me what the intended pricepoint is going to be for 2.0. If I'm not mistaken, Dirac Live 1.0 was like 500 bucks, right?

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search