The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Building a studio from an old building
Old 19th November 2018
Here for the gear

Building a studio from an old building

Hi all, I'm new in this forum but I've been reading posts here since a long time. I live in Italy.
I'm going to move to a new house soon, and I've got the possibility to build a "studio" since there's an old building I can renovate. There's no roof at the moment and the walls need to be rebuilt. The room has these dimensions:4,09 and 4,14 meters for the front walls, 3,58 and 3,55 meters for the side walls. There are 2 holes in the room where I'll place the windows, and there is not floor nor a door for the entrance.
Since I'm not going to mix/master my tracks there, this room's purpose will only be to record audio and listen it of course. I mean, I will create and record my music there, but no mixing will be involved. FIY, I'm a rapper so I'll need dry vocals. I've also to point that acoustic insulation isn't needed since the bulding is located in the countryside.
So here are my questions:
1 How the roof and the floor need to be built? Which materials should I use?
2 What panels/bass traps I need to buy? Since I don't mix in there, only reverberation times are important, am I right? Should I buy them by myself?
3 How I build the door?
If you have any advice you can give me, I would be happy about that. Thank you all in advance for you attention. I'll attach the building's photos now.
Attached Thumbnails
Building a studio from an old building-whatsapp-image-2018-11-18-05.19.57.jpg   Building a studio from an old building-whatsapp-image-2018-11-18-05.19.58-1-.jpg   Building a studio from an old building-whatsapp-image-2018-11-18-05.19.58-2-.jpg   Building a studio from an old building-whatsapp-image-2018-11-18-05.19.58.jpg   Building a studio from an old building-whatsapp-image-2018-11-18-05.19.59.jpg  

Old 21st November 2018
Lives for gear
Turning a ruined medieval-looking building into a studio is going to be a huge, expensive, and time-consuming undertaking. You will need to have some serious money to spend.
How much can you spend on this project? What skills do you have that will help? From your post, I would guess that you have not designed or built a studio before now. Do you have construction skills? Do you have electrical skills? Is there a legal power service to this room? (You can’t run a serious studio from an extension cord running from the house).

But the concerns above assume that you are going to build a real room that is finished dry, tight and looks professional.
Maybe that isn’t the direction you can or should go. There are all degrees of “making a room into a studio.” If you put a heavy tarp over the open roof and made about twenty 4’x8’x6” thick panels to surround your mic position, you could probably record a very decent fairly dead vocal without worrying much about doors and windows. That’s an advantage of being out in the country where only the animals will be disturbed by your noise. It is very difficult to give you advice without more information.
Old 24th November 2018
Lives for gear

Looks cool! There's no roof, and there is at least some question about the walls, and overall structural integrity of the building. So I'd say at that point you should take a step back and consult with a structural engineer to have it inspected upfront, and then work with a construction company to properly reinforce the foundation and walls as needed, build a new roof structure that the building can support, and run electricity. Since you're working around a somewhat questionable older building and adding a roof overhead, I'd be sure there are plans and that they are done right and somebody qualified signs off on the plans, etc.

After all that, just have them build the floor, and install the door and windows while they are there.

That also answers your question about absorbers, you'll want to build them yourselves because at that point you'll be broke.

The building sure looks cool! Good luck!
Old 24th November 2018
Lives for gear
I think Bowzin assumes that you are trying to build a commercial studio to attract clients. If you are trying to establish a studio business, he is correct.
If you are not opening a business, but just want to use the space for personal recording, you aren’t required to do much. You want to be safe with the structure and power. I would hate to learn that they dug your (headphone-wearing) corpse out from under the stones of a collapsed building.
Old 25th November 2018
Lives for gear

I don't know, man. That building looks like it might be tired of everybody's loud music. Just let the building bask in the sun, imo.

audioforce

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search