The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
New kind of bass trap
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

New kind of bass trap

Hello all

I found this article about a new tuneable bass trap down to 40 Hz

The TPDA or the Tuneable Pistonic Diaphragmatic Membrane is a patented system from Portuguese acoustic room treatment company, Artnovion.

The TPDA is a new approach to low frequency absorption, it is composed by a calibrated mass suspended on an elastic membrane. This method separates the mass and elastic support into separate elements, preserving the range of movement (with low activation energy) and guaranteeing true pistonic movement”.

They have a White Paper here in case you want to read further and they work with the Salford University in the UK for their research.

TPDA Artnovion's Patented Technology by Artnovion - Issuu

Last edited by andrebrito; 5 days ago at 04:52 PM..
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

Clever

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrebrito View Post
Hello all

I found this article about a new tuneable bass trap down to 40 Hz
Hallo Andre,

Big thank you for sharing!

Very interesting with bass traps (for low frequencies! )
Especially in combination with good research papers!

Cheers

Ake
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

Is this similar to a VPR?
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

Hello

You're welcome !

Quote:
Originally Posted by akebrake View Post
Hallo Andre,

Big thank you for sharing!

Very interesting with bass traps (for low frequencies! )
Especially in combination with good research papers!

Cheers

Ake
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

It is a tuned absorber but different from VPR, it is a new concept / technology

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Foi View Post
Is this similar to a VPR?
Old 5 days ago
Gear Addict

Smile

Thanks Andre! The diagrams about %-coverage in Artnovion's paper where especially interesting.

I wouldn't say it is a new concept / technology though. As is written in the first part of the paper, it is based on the same idea used in tuning a speaker with a passive radiator (instead of with a port) to increase bass. Add weigth to the passive radiator and the tuning goes lower in frequency. Artnovion's might be one of the first offered that can be purchased though, instead of making them as DIY.

(I made prototypes with flexible surround + panel to be weighted down, a couple of years ago. Just as Artnovion describe their article. I think I posted some pictures of them. They aren't hard to make. Finding suitable material for the soft flexible surround would be the tricky part usually.)
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

Hi

Thanks !

yes you are right but research on this kind of concept is quite new in terms of a commercial approach. These guys at Salford don't joke around hahah !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adhoc View Post
Thanks Andre! The diagrams about %-coverage in Artnovion's paper where especially interesting.

I wouldn't say it is a new concept / technology though. As is written in the first part of the paper, it is based on the same idea used in tuning a speaker with a passive radiator (instead of with a port) to increase bass. Add weigth to the passive radiator and the tuning goes lower in frequency. Artnovion's might be one of the first offered that can be purchased though, instead of making them as DIY.

(I made prototypes with flexible surround + panel to be weighted down, a couple of years ago. Just as Artnovion describe their article. I think I posted some pictures of them. They aren't hard to make. Finding suitable material for the soft flexible surround would be the tricky part usually.)
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

...can you spell vaporware?
sure, I knew you could...

YYMV

Light

Temple
Old 3 days ago
Lives for gear

We are waiting to get some in for testing, looks very promising! The fact that they are tuneable has important implications for addressing room specific issues and for widening the bandwidth of the absorption curve. Cant wait to see how they perform!
Old 3 days ago
Lives for gear

Hi,

Not sure if it is clear on the White Paper but a single unit on reverberant chamber takes out 3 or 4 dB when tuned to a peak mode

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveGTR View Post
We are waiting to get some in for testing, looks very promising! The fact that they are tuneable has important implications for addressing room specific issues and for widening the bandwidth of the absorption curve. Cant wait to see how they perform!

Last edited by andrebrito; 3 days ago at 01:32 PM..
Old 3 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Hi,

Not sure if it is clear on the White Paper but a single unit on reverberant chamber takes out 3 or 4 dB when tuned to a peak mode
Yes, great point. So this implies for typical small rooms that multiple units will be necessary. So the price and real world performance needs to be known exactly. I am assuming for control room level control of common small room low end issues something like 6,8 or 10 units may be necessary.
Old 3 days ago
Lives for gear

Yes you will need multiple units probably tuned at different frequencies but not all modes need to be treated, usually only the ones that have the longest ringing

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveGTR View Post
Yes, great point. So this implies for typical small rooms that multiple units will be necessary. So the price and real world performance needs to be known exactly. I am assuming for control room level control of common small room low end issues something like 6,8 or 10 units may be necessary.
Old 3 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Yes you will need multiple units probably tuned at different frequencies but not all modes need to be treated, usually only the ones that have the longest ringing
That’s the beauty of this being tuneable!
Old 2 days ago
Lives for gear

...build it, and they will come...

YYMV

Light

Temple
Old 2 days ago
Here for the gear

Hello All,

Artnovion's brand new TPDA Technology was published in AudioXpress August Edition, dedicated to Room Acoustics and in Hifi Pig website.
Although the products using the TPDA Technology took longer than we though, since we posted it here as a brand new product back in February but it got delayed and you can check the reason why here in my last post in that same topic, it's now live and ready to order!
The TPDA Technology is used in Artnovion Wall and Corner Bass Trap, aswell as in the brand new Sub Trap that can go as low as 40Hz frequency treatment.
In terms of tests, we would like to share with you guys the ones we did in Artnovion's lab.
All test were made in a 90m3 Reverb room.

New kind of bass trap-grafico-1.jpg

In this one you can see the between the results with the room empty and with 1 unit of Sub Trap tuned at 40Hz.

New kind of bass trap-grafico-2.jpg

Here is the tests using 1 unit of Sub Trap with no weights, so tuned at 60Hz.

New kind of bass trap-grafico-3.jpg

And here the results mixed in one graphic.

If you have any questions regarding the TPDA and the new Sub Trap don't hesitate in asking us.
Attached Thumbnails
New kind of bass trap-grafico-3.jpg   New kind of bass trap-grafico-1.jpg   New kind of bass trap-grafico-2.jpg  
Old 2 days ago
Gear Addict

Seems to be an incredible thing. I will keep my eyes on this

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search