The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Rain, rain...go away !
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Rain, rain...go away !

I just bought a studio space and have relocated my business. It's a great space except for one thing. In the large recording space proper, rain is clearly heard on the roof !!! I am still kicking myself for not coming to look at (hear) the space on a rainy day. I must obviously address this problem & it already sounds expensive!

A second ceiling, hanging on acoustical clips? Reframe it with neoprene iso and hang a few layers of drywall? I will appreciate ANY ideas. This will probably be DIY or local contractor. Is there any kind of commercially available dropped ceiling that will address this problem?

Thanks in advance experts!
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

So you already have isolation in place from iso booths, CR, and LR? Just not the LR ceiling? Do you hear traffic, planes, thunder? Or just the rain falling on the ceiling? In all honesty you should just hire an acoustician/studio designer to help with this. Its dangerous and expensive to get wrong. You'll also need a structural engineer to verify load limits.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

I'd trade your noise for my leak! Three different contractors so far have failed to find and fix the root cause!
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Foi View Post
So you already have isolation in place from iso booths, CR, and LR? Just not the LR ceiling? Do you hear traffic, planes, thunder? Or just the rain falling on the ceiling? In all honesty you should just hire an acoustician/studio designer to help with this. Its dangerous and expensive to get wrong. You'll also need a structural engineer to verify load limits.
Thanks Jason...good advice. I'd be afraid to spec the solution my$$$elf.
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

how high is the roof? After browsing a few courses on isolation, a combination of dense material and air gaps is what works...

If theyre high ceilings and you'd wanna try a cheaper method, perhaps have two different layers of absorption material (however many pieces thick youd want, per layer).
..with an air gap in between them (all using cheap one-by wood for the framing), and double sheet-rock to finish it off?

Just one thought.....Im not expert but Ive got hundreds of hours of acoustic advice logged, as Im able to watch videos while I work my day job.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Can anyone recommend an acoustical engineer local to eastern Pennsylvania?
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Nut

Just a silly thought, but is it possible to put something on the roof? To muffle the sound of rain that is.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by neopl View Post
Just a silly thought, but is it possible to put something on the roof? To muffle the sound of rain that is.
My thought as well.

Assuming it´s only rain that is causing trouble, you might be able to add a fine net of some sort, a couple of inches spaced off the ceiling in order to scatter the droplets before impacting the actual ceiling causing the noise.

Edit: I mean "roof", not "ceiling" ...

Last edited by Jens Eklund; 4 weeks ago at 12:12 AM..
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Hmmm.. i thought of recomending a tarp or something similar too, but hesitated thinking that if impact noise from rain was audible then surely LF noise from planes, cars, thunder etc would bleed through. Thats where i was heading with my first post, but I still think a pro's advice/consultation would be invaluable here, given theres lots of unknowns involved. Its not even clear if the ceiling is decoupled, which it seems it most likely is not.

OP, i dont know about PA, but in case youre not already familiar with him, Jens is one of the most knowledgable studio designers/acousticians i have come across on my journey. His advice is incredibly valuable.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Good question.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Foi View Post
Hmmm.. i thought of recomending a tarp or something similar too, but hesitated thinking that if impact noise from rain was audible then surely LF noise from planes, cars, thunder etc would bleed through. Thats where i was heading with my first post, but I still think a pro's advice/consultation would be invaluable here, given theres lots of unknowns involved. Its not even clear if the ceiling is decoupled, which it seems it most likely is not.

OP, i dont know about PA, but in case youre not already familiar with him, Jens is one of the most knowledgable studio designers/acousticians i have come across on my journey. His advice is incredibly valuable.
Thanks! I'm going to ope n the ceiling this weekend and see what we are dealing with. Pretty sure it's not de-coupled.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Yeah... but carpet will get heavy, nasty and moldy on the roof..

And the problem I have ...the thunder is ruining my tracks... ~
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search