The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
7x9 concrete drum room soundproofing
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

7x9 concrete drum room soundproofing

Hi

Assume people are familiar with the sectional bolt together garages. I will be picking up the first section of one, literally 7x9 with a upvc door.
Ill be using it for an acoustic drum kit. I don't expect to be able to make it 100% soundproof, it would be nice if it just reduced the sound so when stood outside its more like conversation level (or less!).
At this size I cant afford to loose much room so my initial thought was to put a wooden framework on the inside (not sure if itll make much difference if freestanding or connected to the concrete walls at this size), line with rockwool then plasterboard it over. once done, make bass traps etc with more rockwool. Maybe even make a false rockwool door to cover the real door when closed. No air vents, just open the door when needed to take a breath.
Would that actually make much difference, or is there anything else I could do?

many thanks
Old 1 week ago
Gear Head

It all depends on how the existing building is constructed and the mass and gap sizes of the new constructions.
So add more details about the existing building and then someone might be able to help you.
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bert stoltenborg View Post
It all depends on how the existing building is constructed and the mass and gap sizes of the new constructions.
So add more details about the existing building and then someone might be able to help you.
building is made up from concrete posts for each corner and concrete sections that slot on top of each other. Not sure how thick they are, but happy to make up a batch of cement to fill any gaps around where they fit together.

link to a garage on ebay which is the same type

concrete sectional garage used | eBay

cheers
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

The good news is that prefabricated concrete has a fair amount of mass so you are off to a good start. The not so good news is that where air can leak, so will sound, so airtightness will be a lot of work but also a big help towards minimising sound escaping.

Sorry but opening a door is not a realistic ventilation plan. If you do not plan ventilation sufficiently it will be more difficult and more expensive to sort out later on. You would do well to at least learn what the normal requirements are (they are 25 cu.m/hr per person) so that you make decisions in the light of what you know, not because of what you are ignorant of.

There is an inspiring 74 minute video, a video diary of a drummer who built a studio in his garage: How to convert a garage into a soundproof drum room & studio. There are plenty of helpful ideas to glean from it.
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starlight View Post
The good news is that prefabricated concrete has a fair amount of mass so you are off to a good start. The not so good news is that where air can leak, so will sound, so airtightness will be a lot of work but also a big help towards minimising sound escaping.

Sorry but opening a door is not a realistic ventilation plan.
thanks for the advice. will seal as many gaps as a I see when its back together.
This wont be full size garage, just 1 section of it. Obviously used for me practising rather than trying to squeeze a few more people in, I was hoping to keep it simple and not add vents as such just open the door between playing.

cheers
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search