The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Positioning: my small room nightmare
Old 28th October 2018
Here for the gear

Positioning: my small room nightmare

Hello all,

I have spent hours trying to improve my terrible sounding room and finally understood the main issue was modes. Dimensions are 260*350*230cm. 260*440cm*230cm if I leave the storage space open.

My speakers are Adam A7X and I read they had front bass ports which makes them ok to place close to the rear wall.

Following these recommendations (Studio Monitor Placement: Positioning Tips for Optimal Sound) I came up with two options for positioning my speakers.

room-acoustics — imgbb.com

What would be the best solution according to you? In option A the rule of thirds is not respected and listening position is close to the front wall, while option B makes me worry about stereo imaging since it lets the speakers 120cm only from each other.

Also, I am unsure what to do with the storage space. Shall I close it or leave it open?

Any opinion welcome.

Thanks all!
Old 31st October 2018
Gear Addict
This worked well for me:

Put one of your monitors in the bottom corner of the room. Not touching the walls but as close as you can get with the speaker cone pointing towards the opposite rear corner. Turn the other monitor off.

Ideally this is done with no desk and little to no acoustic treatment.

Play some music with a decent low end that you know well. Sit on your chair (if you have one with wheels). And start off sitting central to the two side walls at the position closest to the front wall you could possibly set up. Then slowly wheel backwards towards the back of the room. Listen to the bass of the monitors. You'll go through spots where there's nulls, spots where it sounds really over the top and points when it sounds neutral.

Pick the point where you feel it's powerful but fairly neutral. Mark the point on the floor. Thats where you'll sit.

Then setup your monitors from that point in an equilateral triangle (as in your drawings), setup your desk and then set up your acoustic panels from there.

Think of this point in the room as having the best starting acoustics you can get in that room. It's not going to solve all your issues but it should help get the room "on your side" so you're not fighting it from the off. Low end is the hardest thing to fix so it makes sense to give it the least issues possible

It worked great for me, I tried so many things before it. I put my panels up afterwards and I have great acoustics now.
Old 31st October 2018
You can also simulate your room and the frequency response at various spots in Room EQ Wizard.
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

I am not an expert (yet) but I found this guide on how to set up your studio monitors without having to use a lot of treatment.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search