The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Help with bedroom acoustics / choosing monitors Studio Monitors
Old 5 days ago
Here for the gear

Help with bedroom acoustics / choosing monitors

After many years delaying the learning of music making/producing, i finally started (Ableton live) and I'll be buying my first monitors. Most of my music listening is done on headphones (K701, pro 900). I'm thinking 5" woofers is adequate, and i'm eyeing the Focal Cms50 and Adam a5x, but i'm open for any suggestion.

As you can see in the images, the position and space of the cubicle isn't ideal (the speakers on the drawing are the size of the CMS 50), so i'm guessing it would probably be best to pull the table from the wall and mount the speakers on floor stands? The bedroom has wood flooring, and the wood squares on the walls are built in wardrobes. The window has wood doors on both sides. I don't have any carpets or rugs because of allergies. In what ways can i treat the room for better acoustics?
Attached Thumbnails
Help with bedroom acoustics / choosing monitors-quarto-v3-topo-dim.jpg   Help with bedroom acoustics / choosing monitors-quarto-v3-com-colunas-cms50.jpg   Help with bedroom acoustics / choosing monitors-img_20181013_221626.jpg  
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

One of the sticky topics is Acoustics/Treatment Reference Guide - LOOK HERE! It has been compiled for folk who are just starting out and covers all the basics to save more experienced folk having regularly repeat the same basic stuff. When I was new I found it a bit hard going so do ask about bits that are not so clear to you.

As there is quite a lot to read through, let me get you started in the right direction. You will hear suggestions to centre your work station on the wall the bed is next to. Keep your monitors, whichever ones you buy, as close to the back wall as possible. For acoustic treatment read up on (or search for) the phrase first reflection points as these will be where you start. My experience has been that it takes a lot of study for what can feel like a small amount of progress, so don't be in too much of a hurry to throw money at the wrong solution.

All the best!
Old 1 day ago
Here for the gear

Thank you, i had already started reading before posting, since i don't have much knowledge about this.
Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search