The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Treatment symmetry
Old 1 week ago
Gear Head

Treatment symmetry

Hey everyone!

I am currently planning how I am going to treat my studio and I have a question regarding symmetry of the treatment.

To start off I will be able treat the early reflection points on the right and left wall, aswell as the ceiling. For this I will be using 242 panels from GIK.

I will also be able to place more 242 panels on the back wall.

This will still remain symmetrical.

Now to my question, I have more wallspace to place panels on the right wall, but to the left wall my colleague has her desk and I will not be able to place panels there. (except from the early reflection point).

What is the best option:
- treat the right wall more than the left wall, one or two panels more on that wall, making the treatment unsymmetrical.

or leave both walls without treatment to keep the symmetry?

Thank you!

Last edited by pettah93; 1 week ago at 12:41 PM.. Reason: error
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Acoustic symmetry and visual symmetry arent necessairly the same thing. If you are trying to treat the room properly you will need way more than a few 242 panels. I suggest contacting GIK and having them help with your treatment plan.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Foi View Post
Acoustic symmetry and visual symmetry arent necessairly the same thing. If you are trying to treat the room properly you will need way more than a few 242 panels. I suggest contacting GIK and having them help with your treatment plan.
Hi Jason! Thank you for your input.
Some well placed treatment is always better than no treatment. Of course I understand that I won't be getting the absolute perfect acoustically treated room, that is not possible with my budget. But I will get better results than I have without treatment.
I am not just using "a few 242 panels". The room is small and I will be covering a lot of the walls with these absorbers and place them strategically and well. I will do my best, and get as much treatment as my budget allows! Will definitely contact GIK for advice too.

Now my question was more regarding symmetry. Is it important to treat the left and right walls just as much or can I treat one wall more than the other? or will this mess it up more than it helps?

Thank you again!

Last edited by pettah93; 1 week ago at 03:34 PM.. Reason: update
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear

A 2" panel will not do much below 400hz, where all the problems are. Like i said before, acoustic symmetry and visual symmetry are not the same thing. In a properly treated room, it wouldnt be a problem. If the room is not properly treated, i would expect problems, BUT the room isnt properly treated and not suitable for mixing anyways so..........
Old 6 days ago
Gear Head

Quote:
A 2" panel will not do much below 400hz, where all the problems are. Like i said before, acoustic symmetry and visual symmetry are not the same thing. In a properly treated room, it wouldnt be a problem. If the room is not properly treated, i would expect problems, BUT the room isnt properly treated and not suitable for mixing anyways so..........
Well, I am trying to properly treat my room. That is why I am asking the question in the first place. I am certain that the 242 panels will be great, and together with bass trapping I will ge the room to the level I need it to be, and definitely better than what I have right now, which is the main goal.

"In a properly treated room, it wouldnt be a problem. If the room is not properly treated, i would expect problems". This is kind of why I am asking, would it be properly treated if the side walls are treated differently? Will a rooms acoustics be messed up if the side walls aren't treated similarly? And from your answers I guess it will not be?

My priority is first the early reflection points,
then the back and sidewalls, and then finally as much bass trapping as I can afford.

Thank you!

Last edited by pettah93; 6 days ago at 04:07 PM.. Reason: added
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear

IF you properly treat your room its not an issue. GIK makes fantastic products, and it is possible to get great results with them, but it will not be cheap. Since you are on a tight budget you would be better off going DIY. 10 packs of fluffy fiber insulation would cost you about $400. Another $400 in wood, screws, and fabric and you would be in great shape.
Old 6 days ago
Gear Head

Quote:
IF you properly treat your room its not an issue. GIK makes fantastic products, and it is possible to get great results with them, but it will not be cheap. Since you are on a tight budget you would be better off going DIY. 10 packs of fluffy fiber insulation would cost you about $400. Another $400 in wood, screws, and fabric and you would be in great shape.
Perfect! Thank you!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search