The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Standing waves in control room, please help! Diffusion Products
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear

Standing waves in control room, please help!

Small control room, getting sproingy y sound on parallel walls right near mixing position despite lots of 4" thick OC703 panels, bass traps and RFZ. A video is worth a million words, please watch for details: YouTube

Any and all help/advice is greatly appreciated! Aloha!
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear

Flutter echo, it become more apparent in treated rooms. Just break up the surfaces with something. Absorbtion in a checker board pattern with the reverse pattern on the oppisite wall works well
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Foi View Post
Flutter echo, it become more apparent in treated rooms. Just break up the surfaces with something. Absorbtion in a checker board pattern with the reverse pattern on the oppisite wall works well
Thanks! It was EXTREMELY apparent before we put in the panels and bass traps. Better now but definitely still there. So mirrored skyline diffusers on both walls?
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear

I wouldnt use diffusion in a room that small. In all honesty you need LOTS more absorbtion in that room, but to get rid of the flutter echo either cover all surface area at the front of the room with absorbtion or do absorbtion in a checker board pattern on both side walls. Using the opposite of the left wall on the right wall.
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Foi View Post
I wouldnt use diffusion in a room that small. In all honesty you need LOTS more absorbtion in that room, but to get rid of the flutter echo either cover all surface area at the front of the room with absorbtion or do absorbtion in a checker board pattern on both side walls. Using the opposite of the left wall on the right wall.
Okay thanks!

Chairs in back will act as more absorption/corner traps. I'm going to measure the freq response before I add much more absorption. I'm afraid that since the OC703 isn't perfectly flat and the bass traps are small, the room will start to tilt in favor in mids/bass.

Perhaps I'll add another 703 panel in that void directly behind the mix position instead of a diffuser....or move that vertical cloud panel over there and build something bigger and that'll sound better for an overhead cloud (more like 4x8).

Thanks for the advice! I'll definitely try the checkerboard pattern on those opposing walls!
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

Your corner traps as applied to the bass region are next to pointless.
A 24" triangle bass trap pegboard covered in all corners would be mediocre performance.
A 34" triangle bass trap pegboard covered in all corners would be adequate approaching pro performance.
Again using 1.6lb pcf ecose or 3lb pcf semi rigid insulation.
You are not going to be able to translate anything in that room the way it is now.
YYMV
!

Light

Temple
Old 2 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Temple of Light View Post
Your corner traps as applied to the bass region are next to pointless.
A 24" triangle bass trap pegboard covered in all corners would be mediocre performance.
A 34" triangle bass trap pegboard covered in all corners would be adequate approaching pro performance.
Again using 1.6lb pcf ecose or 3lb pcf semi rigid insulation.
You are not going to be able to translate anything in that room the way it is now.
YYMV
!

Light

Temple
I think you'll find in practice that many great sounding albums have come out of far less ideal rooms, but thanks for the input anyway.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search