The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Can't figure out the walls between live room and vocal booth
Old 3 days ago
Gear Head

Can't figure out the walls between live room and vocal booth

So my live room will have a 2 leaf wall. Next to it is empty space. I will build a vocal booth there or maybe even another live/rehearsal room.

So now we're talking two times a 2 leaf wall. Not touching each other most likely.

Where does the 2 leaf effect stop and when does it turn into a 4 leaf system? How bad is this?

What are better options? Just mass on each (out)side and just insulation/air in between the rooms? There will be sound coming from both directions. I can't imagine this being enough to stop it. My guts tell me to add yet another 2 leaf in between but i guess that's wrong.

What will this do? M-S --- M-S-M --- S-M
Where the outer mass and spring on both sides are decoupled. So there is a stand alone mass - spring - mass in the middle.

Any ideas are greatly appreciated.
Old 3 days ago
Gear Head

Same type of question so i'll add it here.

Say the ceiling is quite thin and impossible to add gypsum or mass to due to pipes and other stuff hanging there what would be the better option.

Just a double leaf room where any sound that gets through the double leaf will leak directly into the ceiling and room above or create the dreaded 3rd leaf by adding another frame with mass and insulation between the double leaf room and the ceiling?

No need to explain me how bad a triple leaf is but is it worse than having nothing there but a ****ty non-insulated non-mass ceiling? Will adding mass and insulation in a leaf between really make things even worse? At some point adding a 3rd leaf must have more benefits than not adding it?
Old 3 days ago
Lives for gear

In my drawing, each line is one leaf. (Drywall/frame/insulation) airgap is space between lines. This keeps everything 2 leaf msm system for best isolation
Attached Thumbnails
Can't figure out the walls between live room and vocal booth-20180915_175418.jpg  

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search