The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Broadband absorbers with Homatherm FlexCL - how thick?
Old 6 days ago
Gear Addict

Broadband absorbers with Homatherm FlexCL - how thick?

Hi there,

I am planning to built some broadband-absorbers myself.
Right now I am using 10cm Basotect at the first reflection points but I feel I can do better with Homatherm!
Since Homatherm FlexCL has an extremely high flow resistance, it's not so suitable for building basstraps. So therefore I will use Rockwool/Sonorock in the corners.

However Homa FlexCL looks perfect for first reflection absorbers for the walls and ceiling.
What I am not sure about, is how thick those absorbers should be?!
Is 10cm Homatherm FlexCL good enough?
I read somewhere that FLexCL should not be used too thick, because it will then start to reflect again.

Maybe someone can shed some light in the dark
That would be highly appreciated

Last edited by Northward; 18 hours ago at 10:07 AM..
Old 6 days ago

Homatherm decided a couple weeks ago to stop all production. These products are not available anymore...

We're looking for replacements.
Old 6 days ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northward View Post
Homatherm decided a couple weeks ago to stop all production. These products are not available anymore...

Holy Crap!? WHAT..??
Didn't see that comming

Wonder why they withdraw.. you seem to been their best customer haha.
So their sales couldn't be that bad.

Thanks for the heads-up, Thomas
Old 4 days ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by midmost View Post
Holy Crap!? WHAT..??
Didn't see that comming

Wonder why they withdraw.. you seem to been their best customer haha.
So their sales couldn't be that bad.

Thanks for the heads-up, Thomas
Myself and others anyway don‘t understand
why using that FlexCl stuff for bass traps as its
air flow resistance is so high.
HolzFlex is better. I used instead of HolzFlex SteicoFlex because HolzFlex was not abailable anmore. it has 5kpa.
Old 4 days ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by ak23 View Post
HolzFlex is better. I used instead of HolzFlex SteicoFlex because HolzFlex was not abailable anmore. it has 5kpa.
That's because in our case Flex CL wasn't used primarily for its flow resistance but for its mechanical properties when mounted within a certain sequence. Holzflex has too big fibers to be a good flow based absorber.
Old 4 days ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
No one said I was going to make bass traps from it
Old 1 day ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
That's because in our case Flex CL wasn't used primarily for its flow resistance but for its mechanical properties when mounted within a certain sequence. Holzflex has too big fibers to be a good flow based absorber.
Yeah and Holzflex has also 5kpa as most other Rockwool products right ?
But 5kpa are 5kpa even if the fibers are too big! In the high/mid frequency range it reflects more but bass should be the same i guess.
Old 19 hours ago

Quote:
Yeah and Holzflex has also 5kpa as most other Rockwool products right ?
But 5kpa are 5kpa even if the fibers are too big! In the high/mid frequency range it reflects more but bass should be the same i guess.
Fibers size affects the absorption coefficient substantially. For a similar resistance to flow and density, there is an increase in absorption coefficient alongside a decrease in fibers diameter.

This is mainly due to thinner fibers being able to move more easily compared to thicker fibers. Thinner fibers structures also have a more tortuous path which means increased friction and viscosity.

This factor is called "Tortuosity" and is a "measure of the elongation of the passage way through the pores", basically the influence of the complex internal structure of a material on its acoustical properties.

Generally speaking, tortuosity affects the location of the 1/4th wavelength absorption peak, while porosity and resistance to flow affect the height and Q of the peaks.

Looking at the resistance to flow value and density is a good hint at what a material's properties are likely to be, but it's not the whole picture, so it must be put in perspective alongside other factors and materials properties - that are not always available which is a problem.

While Holzflex is a good thermal product and a welcomed green alternative, it is not a very good absorber due to its mechanical properties. Especially in the LF.
Old 8 hours ago
vdH
Here for the gear

isover ultimate

Quote:

Have you considerd Isover Ultimate?

http://www.isover-technische-isolati...9c598fe39b.pdf

It looks promising....
Attached Thumbnails
Broadband absorbers with Homatherm FlexCL - how thick?-screen-shot-2018-09-18-22.01.29.png  
Old 7 hours ago
Lives for gear

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search