The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Advice needed for help with opposite (acoustically) Plugin Presets/Expansions
Old 19th August 2018
Here for the gear

Angry Advice needed for help with opposite (acoustically)

Hi to everyone

Im looking for some help/advice on a few things I will be doing. Before I give the background, I have exhausted every nice approach. Its a neighbour noise issue that has been going on since the start of the year. I am unfortunately pushed to this but it might work.

Im in a solid concrete cast concrete apartment (Walls, floor ceiling), its long and has 4 small apartments underneath (Im the top level). The start of the year a new person moved into one. At the time I didn't know it was them but a massive vibration and humming started, basically like someone had machinery or a huge fan in their house, all night every night and sometimes through out the day. Basically I had no sleep for months. Initially I couldn't find the source because the vibration was very uniform throughout the apartment, must have been something to do with the concrete build. Talked to loads of architects, tried measuring, asked anyone I could, got the management company to check with the builders of the apartment and so on. Its only about 4/5 years old so we concluded it was not anything loose in the apartment. All other architects said someone has something in their place.

Wrote a very nice letter to everyone asking to check any equipment etc... is touching the walls could they please move it, as it may be making the vibration/humming noise, also got the management company to call them (few times) and ask. Basically through months of being a weirdo and losing any kind of relationship I had with my neighbours I eventually found out it was the a-hole who moved in and he was not stopping. Its still going but a bit better but its not stopped.

My conclusion is
1. He doesn't care and will continue (every time he is communicated to its stops for a while but a few days/weeks later its back)
2. It could be something small in his apartment and he doesn't think the noise is that big. (mightnt know about acoustics/materials)

Through some research I understand that lower end frequency and vibration can get through concrete very easily and Im guessing as I am basically in a concrete box it stays in here and vibrates more banging of the walls etc...

I saw the building schematics while doing a meeting with the management company. Basically every place is a concrete cube excpet for holes for piupes and windows/door. Inside then there is wooden walled rooms for shower and toilet.

My guess is he has a large fan attached to his wooden wall and that is sending the vibrations up. When he has his aircon on its never there, also he has an unusual amount of plants for a (im guessing) 30 year old male so might be some filtrating fans or something. Electricity is expensive in the country I live in too so might be that, either way he knows theres an issue and doing nothing about it.

I want to buy a bassbin or subwoofer and place it so when he turns his on, Ill turn mine on and rattle him out until he stops, its drastic but I think it would work. Ill make a low end constant bass-y sound with my equipment.

Im wondering

1. What shape/type of subwoofer is best for this
2. Does there need to be some air escape for it, as in I could place it fully touching the ground
3. Would it be better to have it touching my wooden room for it ti travel down to him.

Also
1. Would there be anything beneficial I could do to treat my apartment, absorbers or something?

I want to avoid other peoples places underneath me of course.

I can provide a drawing of the apartment layout if needed

I know this is a weird one, appreciate any advice to do with this request. As mentioned I have done every nice way possible up to now.

Usually people want to keep their bass to themselves, how to I do the opposite?!?

Thank you
Old 19th August 2018
Lives for gear

Heh, revenge isnt the answer. Talk to the guy and find out what is making the noise and we can try and tell you what to buy and give to him to isolate the noise from the structure. Theres no need to torture your other neighbors in the process. More than likely $30 worth of sorbothane will do the trick.
Old 19th August 2018
Here for the gear

Ill try once more but dont hold your breath
Old 19th August 2018
Lives for gear

Tell him that youll buy whatever he needs to decouple the source from the building and be sweet about it. Good luck my friend.
Old 19th August 2018
Here for the gear

Thanks, Ill do that and offer to fix it and I hope it works but....... I think
Old 15th April 2019
Gear Maniac
Grow op?

Sounds like he is growing? Fan noises at night? Mmmmm. Have a good sniff about.
Old 15th April 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl Freeland View Post
Sounds like he is growing? Fan noises at night? Mmmmm. Have a good sniff about.
I was thinking the same thing....

But Jason has a good point: Instead of retaliating (initially), realize that anything you do is going to cost you a lot more money than simply isolating his "noisy object" from the building structure. That's going to be relatively easy to do, and by far the most effective solution. Cutting off structure-borne noise at the source is always the beset solution: trying to isolate at your end is going to cost you a fortune, and won't ever be as effective as spending a hundred bucks or so on a good isolation mount, properly tuned to the correct frequency.

Now, if that doesn't work, and you have no choice but to retaliate, then instead of sub-woofer, I'd suggest a "tapping machine" (see picture below). It is used to test the acoustic isolation of floors, and has a series of small hammers that are raised one by one and allowed to drop on the floor. Very annoying. You can leave it running for as long as you want... or until the cops come knocking on your door!

The reason why I'd suggest this is because the problematic noise is constant; you describe it as a "humming" sound, which would probably mask any similar sound in his place. So instead of trying to fight back with another continuous sound that he might not even hear, rather fight back with a series of impact sounds that he will certainly hear.

Another option is for you to take up playing drums....

But first, try the "decoupling at source" approach.

- Stuart -
Attached Thumbnails
Advice needed for help with opposite (acoustically)-impact-noise-standard-tapping-machine.jpg  
Top Mentioned Products
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search