The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Still mixing too dark!! Audio Interfaces
Old 17th August 2018
Gear Guru
Eq

Boggy has a few times referred to using the EQ in the RME.
I would hazard a guess that the Mixed Phase filters are the key to the Dirac Live great LF performance. But SonarWorks provide a few different filter topologies, including MP, so I dunno.
Jason, only professional users are likely to have a problem with the lack of delay bypass. I don't think that the summing is coherent enough in a untreated domestic or home theatre. I recommend you contact Mini and state the problem. I do a bit of beta for DL. They are aware of the issue, they have provided the off option, as have Sonarworks. But I get the sense that Minidsp don't appreciate the severity of the problem for us. I too have a paperweight, although they gave it to me to facility exactly what I am doing and saying. i.e. Identifying bugs and problems, asking for necessary features.
DD
Old 17th August 2018
Lives for gear

On their forum mini dsp says its out of their hands. Im really suprised dirac doesnt provide a patch
Old 17th August 2018
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanDan View Post
I would hazard a guess that the Mixed Phase filters are the key to the Dirac Live great LF performance.
"Standard" EQs are minimum phase EQs (e.g. Babyface digital EQ).

I might be wrong about this, but, in my experience, minimum phase EQ is better at low frequency correction, while linear phase EQ sounds better at HF (at low frequencies it creates audible ringing on transients). I believe Mixed Phase simply means that minimum p. is used for lows, linear for highs.

This means that ordinary EQ should be pretty much transparent for gentle low frequency boosts/cuts (in any case better than linear). But it should also be perfectly fine for gentle HF tilts.
Old 18th August 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomthetom View Post
Why do you not use just the eq in the rme converter? 5 free selectable bands + you can set a extra eq curve for left and right channel.

Would save you some cash and all the hassle with the software correction.

5 bands should serve you well for shaping just the low end + a little roll off in the highs.

Here you can see it if you not know which feature i mean.
YouTube

Tom
Hah! That is awasome!

I did not know it could do that. I used it a little before but only stereo. Im only using correction on bass so it should be enough bands to get close.. So basicly I look at the speakers measurement in the bass region and do the negative of that seperste for left and right with the converter eq.. Should work ok!

Is it anything I will be missing from Dirac Live software other then delay compensation and gain compensation? Dont use that anyway. Ah yesh.. Presets! Do we have eq presets on the ADI2 Pro? :P I will look into it..
Old 18th August 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Boggy has a few times referred to using the EQ in the RME.
I would hazard a guess that the Mixed Phase filters are the key to the Dirac Live great LF performance. But SonarWorks provide a few different filter topologies, including MP, so I dunno.
Hmm.. Yeah ok I will have to A/B test it, and see if it holds up. Will try to do it tonight.

There is a 30 day money back guarentee from Dirac luckily, if I change my mind.

Yeah, Boggy was the first to recomend RME converter eq to me.
Old 18th August 2018
Lives for gear

Mic & measurements

Quote:
Kim, the pic you posted some time back has rising HF. What mic are you using? Does it have a Cal file in use? Which direction was it pointed? Also, it is important to keep the mic well away from your body when measuring.
Its the Dayton EMM-6. Boggic told me not to use cali files during REW test or something..

Anyway, with Dirac I stand and hold the mic into a broom stick, because I dont have a mic stand! I rest it into either the table or the chair. Might be a tiny bit shaky on one or two of the 9 or so possitions..

I directed it towards the front wall, as recomended from Dirac youtube setup videos. With REW I use it hanging down from the ceiling.
Old 18th August 2018
Here for the gear

Kimotei: where do you live? In Norway, the results on the measuring seems great actually. Shouldnt have that problem with that good measurements.
I know some people which I say are very accurate when it comes to acoustic, let me know =)
Old 18th August 2018
Lives for gear

From minidsp:
Quote:
UNfortunately the PC and miniDSP version we get from Dirac Research are different I'm afraid.. :-( We don't have control of any of these settings once Dirac generates a filter for us.

DevTeam
From Dirac live:
Quote:
Hello,

this is a question for miniDSP to answer (the scope of this HelpDesk is limited to the standalone version of Dirac Live):

miniDSP |

Email Us

Best regards
So, it seems its nobodys problem, but our own DanDan. How are you at writing code?????

Old 18th August 2018
Gear Guru
Kode

LOL, no code, but I can type faster than I think....... What forum is that? Let me at them!
The Minidsp software has a tiny 'playback' app. This can learn an IR Remote.
All that is needed is an Off switch for the Delay.
The standalone DL app has it, sonar has it.....

Kim, the rising HF is due to using the Mic without a Cal file. If DL recognises yours, use it.
If you wish to continue without, point the mic upwards, or about 70 degrees, slight forward lean.
The mic needs to be steady when measuring, and you need to be well away from it.
You are not experiencing DL working properly at the moment.
DD
Old 18th August 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by larsaskogstad View Post
Kimotei: where do you live? In Norway, the results on the measuring seems great actually. Shouldnt have that problem with that good measurements.
I know some people which I say are very accurate when it comes to acoustic, let me know =)
Hei Lars!
I am Norwegian yes, but I live in sunny Greece.

Yeah the measurements are alright, though the left/right difference is scewed and varied (probably because of the door on the right side) at such a rate I was mixing to dark, and had a problem working with precission in the low end. I feel much better precission there now with room correction on the bass. It also boosted the bass about 2db which helped to balance the dark mixes.

Im usually hiring international pro acoustitians if I need help. But sure, could be helpfull with some nordic conections aswell!

Best,
Kim
Old 18th August 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Kim, the rising HF is due to using the Mic without a Cal file. If DL recognises yours, use it.
If you wish to continue without, point the mic upwards, or about 70 degrees, slight forward lean.
The mic needs to be steady when measuring, and you need to be well away from it.
You are not experiencing DL working properly at the moment.
DD
Aha..

Ok cool, but I dont have time to get a mic stand now as im leaving on the road in just a few days and working around the clock here to prepare. I will do it when I get back!

I think the mic came with a calibration file, but I have no idea where it is or even what kind of file type it is. Maybe its available to download by serial number through Daytons website..

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search