The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
NON-superchunk mineral wool density advice
Old 12th August 2018
Here for the gear

NON-superchunk mineral wool density advice

Hello guys, new user here
I have to put some bass traps in my rehearsal room: i don't have much time to build them so i'm not going top build superchunks but i'm just placing panels in the corners (wall-wall and wall-ceiling) and maybe some on the ceiling and walls if needed.
I don't know what's the best density for such traps since i've only found advices for superchunks, so please help me: consider that i'm going to put in some foam aswell for high frequencies (if needed), so i mainly need these traps for the low end.
I've found a good deal for 75 kg/m3 but i don't know if it's a good choice.
Also i'd love to get rigid or semirigid mineral wool so i don't have to build wooden frames (time issues aswell) but i can work around it.
Thank you in advance!
Old 12th August 2018
Lives for gear

Search the forum for "GFR" (Gas Flow Resistivity).
Old 12th August 2018
Gear Guru
Boom

Welcome. The use of a fairly common building material caught the attention of Acoustic folk some time ago. Big guns tested it Acoustics Forum • View topic - Corner Absorption Comparision test

Note well, the SSC and Foam are massive, while the corner straddling panel is relatively tiny. If you make that adjustment mentally while viewing the comparison graph, it seems to me that the corner straddling 2'x4'x4" is a real David vs Goliath amongst traps. I believe it is the damped membrane 'drum head' effect, which needs the air gap. Best bang per buck. RealTraps used to use 705, but I believe you are looking at 703 there. 48KG.
Depending on where you are for availability Caruso Isobond can function without a frame or fabric.

You do not need foam in any case.

Best DIY Trap EVER

DD
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search