The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Lifx/Philips Hue (noise/flicker)?
Old 11th August 2018
Gear Maniac
Lifx/Philips Hue (noise/flicker)?

Does anyone have any experience with these re noise and flicker? Especially guitar pickups. "Apparently" the latest models (gen3) are supposed to be good for both audio and video (no noise/compatible with high fps).

I moved to a new (temporary) home studio and want to do a quick fix on the lighting...currently low voltage halogen and a buzzing dimmer; can't play my single coils here at all (well until I turn the main light off that is)...considering getting a Variac and then changing the transformers for each light (5x mr16) if I have to (they're old)...though Lifx/Hue would work out a bit cheaper (especially if it's my transformers also, as I can just rip them out and go straight to AC)...it needs to be done anyway so an either/or.

Besides noise, thing is I like low voltage lights, fluorescent and LEDs irritate me...prob a bit over sensitive to it, but you are what you are...haven't seen Lifx or Hue in person yet...looks good on youtube however...I could handle the green yellows if they don't flicker or hurt my recordings tbh.
Old 12th August 2018
Gear Maniac
I'll add to this thread if I find anything interesting...

Some light measurements, unfortunately they didn't dim them and no sound measurements, at least flicker is low when at full brightness; seems people who say say the always look a bit green aren't wrong...Philips Hue A19 bulb LED Light review

I'll get some soon and do some tests myself.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search