The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Building a 1 room studio in my FROG
Old 2 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Building a 1 room studio in my FROG

Hello. This is my first post although I’ve read the forums for a while. I’m in the planning stage of building a studio in the FROG at my new place. It’s 12’W x 19’L x 8’H. The ceiling is sloped identically on both sides of the length of the room. Therefore, only the middle 5’3” is actually 8’. I’m replacing the carpet with a floating engineered hardwood and will make sure the subfloor is insulated properly. I plan on setting up my desk facing the window and closing off the wall next to the closet. I can gain an additional 3’ by removing the closet.

Questions:
1. Would it be better to remove the closet to gain the extra length?
2. I need the best all around treatment I can get for this room for about $2000US.
I won’t need to record any loud acoustic instruments in this room. Just voice, acoustic guitar, percussion and electric guitar (with an iso cab). I will record, mix and master in this room.
Any suggestions?

Thank you!
Michael
Attached Thumbnails
Building a 1 room studio in my FROG-45839bc2-63ae-4093-b507-a21df2538f0c.jpeg   Building a 1 room studio in my FROG-b8fa0eb7-7ef6-4c30-9c5a-bf7c4e854c54.jpeg  
Old 2 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Thanks

Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

The treatment strategy and advice are the same. The greater volume in your case will allow more room for treatment
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Foi View Post
The treatment strategy and advice are the same. The greater volume in your case will allow more room for treatment

I’ve read the entire thread you linked to and it’s great advice. Thanks for that. I do have two questions if you or anyone else has time.

1. The back right corner of my room is currently open to the staircase that runs up behind the closet. I plan on closing it off so that I can install bass traps in all four corners. Is there any significant advantage to a specific placement of the back wall? I would prefer to work around an AC vent in the ceiling next to the closet and a return that is in the bottom of the side wall facing the staircase, if possible.

2. There is ample attic space outside of both side walls to create a bass trap in the lower portion of these walls as deep as 3 ft and the full 58” in height if I remove the Sheetrock, build in the traps and cover the front with cloth trimmed out with wood. Will this method be more effective than placing traps along the floor wall junction on the side walls and is it worth the time and cost?

Thanks!
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mchlsngr View Post
I’ve read the entire thread you linked to and it’s great advice. Thanks for that. I do have two questions if you or anyone else has time.

1. The back right corner of my room is currently open to the staircase that runs up behind the closet. I plan on closing it off so that I can install bass traps in all four corners. Is there any significant advantage to a specific placement of the back wall? I would prefer to work around an AC vent in the ceiling next to the closet and a return that is in the bottom of the side wall facing the staircase, if possible.

2. There is ample attic space outside of both side walls to create a bass trap in the lower portion of these walls as deep as 3 ft and the full 58” in height if I remove the Sheetrock, build in the traps and cover the front with cloth trimmed out with wood. Will this method be more effective than placing traps along the floor wall junction on the side walls and is it worth the time and cost?

Thanks!
1. Its hard to see in your pictures, but if you can build the new wall flush with the closet wall and place the door as far to the left as possible that would be great. I would just cover the entire open area of the back wall with 3' thick of fluffy fiber, not just the corners.

2. It will decrease any isolation you have and im not sure about vapor barrier issues with your current construction, but if you could do thick absorbtion on all surfaces except the floor and front wall you would be in great shape. You would have to add wood slats or something to non first reflection points to balance decay times, but you would end up with fantastic results for your efforts.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search