The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Best 6" Panel Corner Bass Traps? Bass Traps
Old 13th July 2018
Gear Head

Best 6" Panel Corner Bass Traps?

Hello,

I want to build corner bass traps but don't have the luxury of doing superchunk/fill style traps. I've already built handfuls of 6" traps from 703 and currently using some in my corners/sides/back wall. If I want to trap the lowest frequencies without building a corner trap, whats the best depth and best material (desnity, GFR) to build? And how much of an air gap should I leave at that depth?
Old 15th July 2018
Lives for gear

Look here :The Best (And Only) Insulation Material You Need For DIY Acoustic Absorbers — Acoustics Insider
This should answer a lot of questions...
The Superchunk is another matter...

YYMV

Light

Temple
Old 15th July 2018
Lives for gear

Why 6”? That seems shallow for bass traps, no?
Old 15th July 2018
Lives for gear

8" iz preferred...at least that's what she said...
Old 16th July 2018
Gear Head

Thanks for that link Temple of Light. I understand that Safe n Sound is a lower density than 703, but I've read that certain densities are better for certain frequencies, but only after a certain depth? So would you recommend 8" deep panels of Safe n Sound? I would like to avoid that since I'm looking for fully rigid material for my panels. What's the next best that is completely rigid- Owens Corning 701? Its density is 24kg which is even lower than Safe N Sound (40kg) and I assume it is as rigid as 703?
Old 16th July 2018
Lives for gear

12"-36" deep of fluffy fiber preforms best.

8-12" deep of semi rigid with 4"+ deep airgap (safe and sound) is 2nd best

4-8" deep of rigid insulation with 4"+ deep airgap is 3rd best.

When using a rigid material you can get a boost in LF absorbtion by having the airgap closed on all sides. This creates a membrane effect.

Low end response is fine but low mids are horroble. Why why why?
Old 17th July 2018
Gear Head

Thanks Jason. That's exactly the type of answer I was looking for, and thanks for the tip on the closed sides of the airgap.

Just for theoretical sake- if I could build a superchunk corner trap, would something with a low GFR like R-19 with a 24" center thickness (24x32x32) work best, without resorting to a tuned/pressure/Hemholtz build? Curious what the best possible corner trap design would be to soak up very low (60hz and under) frequencies by only using wood frames and fiberglass...

Whats the pros and cons of just using a 6" panel straddling the corner and filling the inside gap with bags of R-19 (or any low GFR material)?
Old 17th July 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddievanwailin View Post
Thanks Jason. That's exactly the type of answer I was looking for, and thanks for the tip on the closed sides of the airgap.

Just for theoretical sake- if I could build a superchunk corner trap, would something with a low GFR like R-19 with a 24" center thickness (24x32x32) work best, without resorting to a tuned/pressure/Hemholtz build? Curious what the best possible corner trap design would be to soak up very low (60hz and under) frequencies by only using wood frames and fiberglass...

Whats the pros and cons of just using a 6" panel straddling the corner and filling the inside gap with bags of R-19 (or any low GFR material)?
Its all about volume. A pro studio will typically devote 60% percent of the rooms volume to treatment, so make it as big as you can. If you can cover the entire back wall floor to ceiling with 2' deep fluffy fiber you could expect decent absorbtion down to 40hz, and even around .4 absorbtion coefficient down to 20hz. If you can cover the entire ceiling, do it. Same with the side walls.

You can model all of your ideas with this calculator and see what works best.

Fluffy has a gfr of 5000, and OC 703 is 23,000.

Multi-layer Absorber Calculator

As far as 6" of rigid fiberglass with with fluffy behind it, im not completely sure. The calculators i use dont account for the membrane effect caused by the rigid insulation, so it does model poorly compared to just 100% fluffy fiber, but I have also often heard from professional designers that it will not be the best use of materials.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search