The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Window screen for acoustic panels?
Old 12th July 2018
Here for the gear

Window screen for acoustic panels?

Hi all, I'm building a bunch of roxul rockboard panels and need fabric to cover the backs (am using auralax type foam panels I already had to cover the fronts.) I saw a killer price ($25) on a 60" by 100' roll of fiberglass window screen material and so just jumped on it without thinking too much but now am wondering if I jumped the gun.

Here's the stuff I bought WJ Dennis & Company Climaloc SGCL60100B Bulk Roll of Wrinkle-Free Fiberglass Replacement Screen for Professionals, 60-Inch x 100-Feet, Black - - Amazon.com

Anyone here use window screen before as a panel material? My two concerns are that it'll be too porous and let the roxul mineral wool fibers through, and / or that it'll be too fragile to staple (though I did consider buying window screen frame and spline that'd be another $50 or so and would defeat the purpose of the killer deal.) I suppose I could lay down a strip of fabric over it or figure something else out to staple it.

Anywho, thought some of you guys might have done this before and could save me some trouble.

Thanks!
Old 24th July 2018
Here for the gear

FYI For anyone stumbling across this later the screen material worked great, holds the roxul fibers in just fine and not too fragile. I stapled it to the 2x4 wood panels I made and it's nice and secure / looks sharp. It also worked well for a few I made without frames, that I wanted to remain flexible, since it stuck well to itself using spray adhesive, I just folded it over / glued it to itself & the roxul to completely cover it. Below is the first one I made where I wrapped the screen over the sides of the panels, worried it would rip if I just stapled it to the back, the rest I did just staple it to the backs and cut it clean to the edges with an exacto knife, looks a lot better and still totally solid.

IMG_0476.JPG - Google Drive

IMG_0478.JPG - Google Drive
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search