The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Surrounding yourself with absorbers Modular Synthesizers
Old 1 week ago
Gear Head

Surrounding yourself with absorbers

Hi guys,

So I've recently got a decent amount of absorbers and traps. Traps in corners and absorb panels on the reflection points. Obviously though, I didn't get enough to cover my whole room, there are still a lot of wall space being a decently sized room (3.3x5x3m). My freq response is ok and my waterfall graph is acceptable. I would like the sound to be a bit more dead if I could.

My absorbers are GIK monster traps and the corner traps are GIK Soffit traps. Check out the images below. My 'current setup' is as shown, I don't have the extra two panels at the window wall yet.

Basically, I'm wondering if 'new setup 1' or 'new setup 2' is worth trying to get a better freq response and waterfall? If I enclose myself with my panels close to me, would this improve the sound control dramatically? Or is this new setup a stupid idea that doesn't make sense or that doesn't make any difference?

Also, if anyone has tried this would be good to hear your feedback.

Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails
Surrounding yourself with absorbers-freq-response.jpg   Surrounding yourself with absorbers-waterfall.jpg   Surrounding yourself with absorbers-current-setup.png   Surrounding yourself with absorbers-new-setup-1.png   Surrounding yourself with absorbers-new-setup-2.png  

Last edited by Exis; 1 week ago at 02:17 AM.. Reason: Adding photos
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

First off, great music music my friend. Im a fan.

Secondly, the only way to know would be to test. Having panels 1/4 wavelength off the wall is highly effective, so its possible that with some tweaking you could get decent results, but i suspect that youll still need to add some deep fluffy fiber to absorb LF. If you dont have one already, a large cloud between speakers and mix position is a must. Move the treatment, measure at the mix position, and post up the results. Also, some pics or a drawing of the room, and a list of quantity and type of treatment would be helpful.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Foi View Post
First off, great music music my friend. Im a fan.
Thanks man Your name sounds very familiar, I'm wondering if we've met?

Anyway, I updated the OP with more info and photos. Let me know what you think

Last edited by Exis; 1 week ago at 02:19 AM.. Reason: removing photos and just editing OP
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exis View Post
Thanks man Your name sounds very familiar, I'm wondering if we've met?

Anyway, I updated the OP with more info and photos. Let me know what you think
Nah, dont think we've met before. I put out prog house, but nothing major yet.

Anywho, if you try anything, i would test option 1. The main problems i see are lack of LF absorbtion and speaker location.

You could try adding some deep fluffy fiber, like 300-600mm thick, along the back wall. That would help with decay times. The window seems to actually be helping by letting LF energy escape, as your frequency response isnt terrible except for that big dip. I would try pushing your speakers up against the front wall instead of having them pulled out. The dip is likely due to sbir. You might want to add to your clouds. The thicker/bigger the better. Also, whats your desk like? Big and flat? That can cause dips too. If space is a premium in your room, you can also try digital room correction like dirac live. Mini dsp has good options.

Start by changing one variable at a time and testing. RTA with pink noise can help you experiment quiclky, and then do a full sweep if you find something promising.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
I would like the sound to be a bit more dead if I could.
Your decay time at 4Khz is already around 100ms, and you want it to be even MORE dead ??

You should focus your attention on the 30 to 300Hz range. That area looks pretty awful on your waterfall.

Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by sage691 View Post
Your decay time at 4Khz is already around 100ms, and you want it to be even MORE dead ??

You should focus your attention on the 30 to 300Hz range. That area looks pretty awful on your waterfall.

More dead from 600 down....

Anechoic isnt necessairly a bad thing. He just needs balanced decay times
Old 1 week ago
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by sage691 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Foi View Post
More dead from 600 down....

Anechoic isnt necessairly a bad thing. He just needs balanced decay times
Thanks jason, yes that's exactly what I meant. Sage, I used the wrong term but essentially I wanted to see if moving around my panels in a particular way would improve my decay times. I guess at this point the only way to find out is to try.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Thanks jason, yes that's exactly what I meant. Sage, I used the wrong term but essentially I wanted to see if moving around my panels in a particular way would improve my decay times. I guess at this point the only way to find out is to try.
Correct, my gut feeling is that you need to add deep fluffy fiber or pressure traps to tame those decay times, but try with what you have first. Moving your monitors should help with that big null around 80hz, but your current broadband traps arent going to do much below 400hz. The big soffit traps are more effective, but you would need MANY more. If youre handy, DIY is the way to go. If not, I know GIK can get you happy, but get ready to drop a bit of cash.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Guru

Que

What are we looking at. What is that REW graph representing? How many speakers running, what mic, pointing where? You could post the .mdat file so we can look into it.
Given the multifunction room, how about the speakers fairly central? Backs to the bed, maybe some sort of room divider there, even just a hanging fabric. There, they would be very far from any boundaries, and in the nulls of some of those lowest modes.

DD

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search