The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Small Room Acoustics Help - Diagram Included
Old 14th June 2018
Here for the gear

Small Room Acoustics Help - Diagram Included

Hello Guys,

I've gone through the forums and read a bunch of posts regarding room treatment, and over the past several weeks i've been slowly adding DIY basstraps to my small bedroom where i work from.

Room Dimensions: w:3m L:3.8m H:2.4m

As you can see from the diagram below i've only treated the front wall, with 2 x 4inch panels directly behind my monitors from the mix position, a cloud trap between my head and the monitors, and 2 x 12 inch monster traps that i made out of fabric shoe racks stuffed with the fluffy stuff and zipped up tight. These two are positioned eitherside of my monitors with a 30 cm gap between them and the wall behind them (they do not go floor to ceiling, they are about 170cm tall)

I wanted some advice regarding treatment of the back wall, as you can see i have a window running along the right side of the room so corner straddling bass traps is a no go on that side. I also have a small enclove (i think thats what you call it) where the door opens/closes so placing a bass trap in that corner will be problematic, furthermore i have a wardrobe that is also on the left hand side of the room which i cannot move.

I was also curious to see whether my monster trap placing could be improved, or whether they are good where they are. Finally, is there scope for me to place a Quadratic Diffuser at the back wall?

All feedback, good or bad are welcome!

Thanks,

Dhaknam
Attached Thumbnails
Small Room Acoustics Help - Diagram Included-room-layout.jpg  
Old 14th June 2018
Lives for gear

Your room is too small to benefit from diffusers. Cover as much area as possible (rear wall) with treatment; as deep as practically possible. Search the forum for more info on what wool to use depending on depth. If room ends up too dry, add slats to areas around the centre (early reflection point):

2 feet/60 cm deep absorber on the back wall. Sound examples before/after.
Old 14th June 2018
Gear Head

Interesting idea with the shoe racks!

You’ll likely benefit from moving the panels behind your speakers to the early reflection points to your left and right and pushing your monitors as close to the front wall as possible without touching it. You can mount the early reflection panels on stands if the window is in the way.

Your shoe rack traps can be moved right into the corner where bass tends to accumulate, giving you a little more room in the process. You might also consider straddling as many wall-ceiling corners as possible with thick panels and treating the back wall as thickly as is practical as Jens suggested. Lastly, more clouds is always a good idea; like the wall-ceiling panels, they don’t encroach on your small space, and can offer great improvements.

These would be my next steps.
Old 18th June 2018
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jens Eklund View Post
Your room is too small to benefit from diffusers. Cover as much area as possible (rear wall) with treatment; as deep as practically possible. Search the forum for more info on what wool to use depending on depth. If room ends up too dry, add slats to areas around the centre (early reflection point):

2 feet/60 cm deep absorber on the back wall. Sound examples before/after.
Hey thanks for the link to that thread, i've not come across it yet but the result this guy got with thicker traps at the back wall sounds immense.

I don't think i will personally be able to have traps as thick as this guy, unfortunately i have my bed right up against the wall, and well ... it wouldn't be practical for me for various reasons

The best i can do is 4 inch traps with maybe an inch air gap
Old 18th June 2018
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinned View Post
Interesting idea with the shoe racks!

You’ll likely benefit from moving the panels behind your speakers to the early reflection points to your left and right and pushing your monitors as close to the front wall as possible without touching it. You can mount the early reflection panels on stands if the window is in the way.

Your shoe rack traps can be moved right into the corner where bass tends to accumulate, giving you a little more room in the process. You might also consider straddling as many wall-ceiling corners as possible with thick panels and treating the back wall as thickly as is practical as Jens suggested. Lastly, more clouds is always a good idea; like the wall-ceiling panels, they don’t encroach on your small space, and can offer great improvements.

These would be my next steps.

Thanks for posting, i've taken your advice and adjusted the shoe racks and it's made considerable difference evening out the bass to the side of my monitors.

I made two additional 4 inch bass traps (60cm x 60cm) that are now sitting either side of the first reflection points, i'm now intending to make two additional 4 inch panels 120cm x 60cm to fit in the corners at back wall and an additional two 4 inch 60cm x 60cm panels space apart in line with my monitors at the back wall.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search