The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Advice on garage live room climate control etc
Old 28th May 2018
Lives for gear

Advice on garage live room climate control etc

I’ve been tracking in my home for years using my large garage as a live room and a big room above it as CR. I wired a snake and Furman monitoring system down through the floor, hung sound panels and placed bass traps in the garage, and it’s worked fine. There’s some amount of bleed through the floor but it’s been workable. I also track overdubs, vocals and even occasionally a small drum kit or strings right in the CR with me as it’s a nice big room.

However, the lack of heat or AC in the garage is a bummer. Not only in terms of comfort but also because I hate leaving instruments out there. Without going insane and eliminating the overhead door and framing it in, etc. I’d simply like to upgrade the garage door to the highest rated insulated option, add a ductless heat/ac and possibly put down some flooring. The idea would be to have a more controlled and comfortable live room without major construction. Can anyone offer advice on insulated doors or other things I might do to upgrade my room. Thank you
Old 29th May 2018
Lives for gear

They make insulation panels that pop into garage doors, which will help. To keep it fully climatized year round will be expensive if the whole building isnt well insulated. Your location in the world will play a big part too
Old 2nd June 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Foi View Post
They make insulation panels that pop into garage doors, which will help. To keep it fully climatized year round will be expensive if the whole building isnt well insulated. Your location in the world will play a big part too
Thank you. This is an attached garage and it IS insulated, both downstairs and upstairs. Although I really don’t know how well it’s insulated down in the garage. Also the fact that it’s bare concrete floor may need to be addressed. I was thinking of installing garage grade flooring and with area rugs on top that may help during the winter.

There’s also central air upstairs but, being above the non HVAC garage, and also at the end of the duct-lines, it’s never warm enough in winter nor cool enough mid summer. Hence why I want a ductless mini split for up and down. I’m in the northeast US so it gets cold in winter.
Old 2nd June 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidKmusic View Post
Thank you. This is an attached garage and it IS insulated, both downstairs and upstairs. Although I really don’t know how well it’s insulated down in the garage. Also the fact that it’s bare concrete floor may need to be addressed. I was thinking of installing garage grade flooring and with area rugs on top that may help during the winter.

There’s also central air upstairs but, being above the non HVAC garage, and also at the end of the duct-lines, it’s never warm enough in winter nor cool enough mid summer. Hence why I want a ductless mini split for up and down. I’m in the northeast US so it gets cold in winter.
You could check into inline duct boosters to use the existing hvac system. Youd want to be sure the existing system could handle the increased volume though.
Old 23rd July 2020
Here for the gear

Hi, I had something similar. I made repairs in my office about a year ago. And I decided to order a lot of new equipment, such as a computer, printer, mini bar and air conditioning. But there was a problem I couldn't find a normal air conditioner anywhere, the main thing is that I ordered everything, but I didn't find a normal air conditioner. Then I decided to repair the old air conditioner, but I didn't know who to turn to and asked my friend if he had someone how can help me. Then he threw these guys to me https://www.socool.sg/, and they improved my old air conditioner so that it looks like a new one.
Old 14th September 2020
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by xLaurenHx View Post
Hi, I had something similar. I made repairs in my office about a year ago. And I decided to order a lot of new equipment, such as a computer, printer, mini bar and air conditioning. But there was a problem I couldn't find a normal air conditioner anywhere, the main thing is that I ordered everything, but I didn't find a normal air conditioner. Then I decided to repair the old air conditioner, but I didn't know who to turn to and asked my friend if he had someone how can help me. Then he threw these guys to me https://www.socool.sg/, and they improved my old air conditioner so that it looks like a new one.

My mother-in-law had something similar. She used the air conditioner on a daily basis, then her air conditioner started to stop responding to the remote. If she were to increase the temperature, the aircon would switch off. But when she switches it back on, the temperate would skyrocket to the high 20s. She had no choice but to contact LKbrothers for a aircon chemical wash. Luckily they managed to help her with the issue. This means less family squabbles and lesser problems between her and the missus.
📝 Reply
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
🎙️ View mentioned gear