The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Help with new room
Old 3 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Help with new room

Hey guys,
I just bought my first house! This is the room I will be using. As you can see it has carpet on one side and raised hardwood on the other. I was thinking I would have my desk on the hardwood facing the window and the save the carpet for drums. Would it be better to track acoustics and vocals on the hard wood? Anyways and treatment advice would be awesome. I know the basics on how to treat a room. Just wondering about the slants and whatnot. The room has the same slants on both sides. This is the only pic of the room I have right now and if you can't tell it is half and half carpet and hardwood. Thanks for any tips! I can't wait to set up!
Attached Thumbnails
Help with new room-15275293562591148707823.jpg  
Old 3 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Anyone?
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Can you help with proper bass trap placement in such unusual room?

This thread should help you quite a bit. I think your idea of placing your equipment on the wood floor is a good idea if the fooor is good. Why is the floor raised there? You need to make sure its not hollow underneath. If its hollow youll need to fill in the cavity or just remove it all together.
Old 3 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Foi View Post
Can you help with proper bass trap placement in such unusual room?

This thread should help you quite a bit. I think your idea of placing your equipment on the wood floor is a good idea if the fooor is good. Why is the floor raised there? You need to make sure its not hollow underneath. If its hollow youll need to fill in the cavity or just remove it all together.
Thanks for the reply. Why would the hollow floor be bad? I have no idea why it's raised like that.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevut2002 View Post
Thanks for the reply. Why would the hollow floor be bad? I have no idea why it's raised like that.
If its hollow, its basically a drum. It will ring and screw with decay times and FR. Thump on it and see what it sounds like. Also, setup your speakers and measure the empty room with REW. Read the measurement primers at the top of the forum if youre not familiar with them.
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

This is pretty thick carpet. I'm still trying to figure out if I should put my desk on the carpet and use the hard side for tracking or the other way around.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Carpet is terrible for acoustics. It sucks all the highs out of the room.
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Foi View Post
Carpet is terrible for acoustics. It sucks all the highs out of the room.
Yea I'm not into the carpet or the raised floor. But right now I don't have extra money to do anything about it. I would say now I'm leaning towards having the desk on the carpet and keeping the wood for more of a live tracking area. I do a lot of mixing on phones also so I am more concerned about making the recordings sound good. The only other thing I was thinking would be plywood on the carpet. One other obstacle on would be the bass traps. One corner has a heater so I would not be able to treat both corners. Not the perfect room but it's going to be a big step up from what I'm in now.
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

Another picture
Attached Thumbnails
Help with new room-room.jpg  
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear
It looks like you have lots of hard surfaces to bounce the high end around. I don’t think the carpet will harm that much. I’m in the same boat with redoing my studio room in my house. If things like radiators are getting in the way they can easily be moved. It’s a hassle to do but not complicated, and then it’s done! How are your going to treat the room? What’s your budget. One thing I plan on doing is measuring the acoustics with software as I go (REW).

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search