The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
help me choose rockwool density for my corners Studio Monitors
Old 1 week ago
Gear Nut

help me choose rockwool density for my corners

* numbers are for Pound/cubic foot

well i'm in israel and this is pretty much my options

the ones on the left are far more cheaper here..

i'm going to replace those foams and speakers with rockwool in the corners.. floor to ceiling

Last edited by adiahha; 6 days ago at 01:26 PM..
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Depends how thick you're going to make them and how you plan to support the insulation. Fluffy stuff is good for thicker absorbers but needs more support. Rigid can be easier to use but is better for thinner panels.

Lots of info on the forum. Here's a good place to start: Acoustics/Treatment Reference Guide - LOOK HERE!
Old 6 days ago
Gear Nut

is 1.5 lb/ft density can be enough ?
I want to make it very thick.. cant i just fill the floor until it touches the ceiling and then put a frame and fabric on it?

Or Is it better to build full wood frame and insert it into the frame?

Last edited by adiahha; 6 days ago at 01:31 PM..
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by adiahha View Post
is 1.5 lb/ft density can be enough ?
I want to make it very thick.. cant i just fill the floor until it touches the ceiling and then put a frame and fabric on it?

Or Is it better to build full wood frame and insert it into the frame?
If youre making thick traps (2'+) floor to ceiling then go with the least dense material. Youll need to build "shelves" every 3 feet so the material doesnt compress from its own weight.

Check out post #20 in the following thread
Small home studio use of soundfoam
Old 6 days ago
Gear Nut

will earthwool do the same job?
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by adiahha View Post
will earthwool do the same job?
I think ive read fiberglass is slightly better, but yes, more or less the same. Its all about the GFR values of the materials. The lower the value, the better the performance, but the more thickness needed.
Old 6 days ago
Gear Nut

will i benefit from covering the hole front like that:

because i'm willing to do this if the performance it's better.. i dont care about that window
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear

Back/sides/ceiling - yes

I wouldnt do the front unless you build your monitors into it. You want the speakers touching the front wall to help with sbir. I would make a plug for the window though. The window wont give you the bass boost youd otherwise get from the front wall.
Old 6 days ago
Gear Nut

i can't afford doing this to the ceiling and the walls not enough space but i can do it to the front wall..

i'm planning to use two krk 10s subs with the vxt8.. i was told that two subs on Sorbothane Hemisphere can also help with sbir but building the speakers into it sounds fun

is somthing like this can work? :

(more treatment like cloud and side panels will come later..)

Last edited by adiahha; 5 days ago at 01:54 PM..
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

Sort of. You need to allow for ventillation or your speakers will over heat. There should be a clear pathway from floor to ceiling behind the speaker.

John Sayers' Recording Studio Design Forum •

View topic - Hybrid Superchunk-Soffit

However, im not sure how much bennifit youll receive from doing it this way. Especially since youre going to be using two subs. Two subs would help deal with the sbir that would be caused by having the speakers away from the wall.

Also, in my opinion, the back wall/ceiling/walls would be more important to treat with thick absorbtion than the front. You'll get very strong reflections from the back wall, and two subs will not stop early reflections from reaching the mix position.
Old 5 days ago
Gear Nut

well my room isn't exactly perfect
dimension of the room :
2.8 meters in height
3.1 meters in width
5.7 vertical (with problems)

video of the room
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B1r...d0eFZRSGs/view

i think i'll just build huge traps and shape space for the subs and for the monitors to be on stand or a shelf

i cant treet the back.. there is sofa window and door there meybe i can fill the cilling with fiber but also will have to wait for that..
im building slow and i want to start from the front and speaker placment..
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

You cant possibly know sub position yet. Front wall only will not help your situation.
Old 5 days ago
Gear Nut

than how can i know?
do i have to finish all room acoustic before i can place the subs?

that sofa will cover the floor i think and there is window there..

if im filling all the back ceiling as well the upper 1 meter of the walls and uses high density fiberglass for huge cloud and treet the front corners
can it be enough?
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

Youll need to use RTA with pink noise and move the subs around till you find the best position. Could be a few feet off the ground
Old 5 days ago
Gear Nut

few feet off the ground? i thought the point was to put them close to the floor

and can i test the subs only after the acoustic treetment?

Last edited by adiahha; 5 days ago at 10:50 AM..
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search