The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
More Bass Traps, More Problems.. Any advice? Studio Building, Photos included
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

More Bass Traps, More Problems.. Any advice? Studio Building, Photos included

I recently started treating (building and placing bass traps) and testing my room acoustically. However I have recently run into a series of problems (flutter echo, increased peaks and nulls) and was wondering if there is any insight or advice you can offer on a situation like this. I have included all relevant information below including current treatment, room dimensions, and waterfall graphs of before and after current treatment. I thank you kindly in advance for taking the time to help me out if possible because I have no idea where to start

Current Treatment:

We decided to build a home studio in the living room of our apartment. The rear wall is a kitchen. There is an oven, a small refrigerator, sink and cupboards on the rear wall. This prevents us from doing the amount of rear wall treatment that we would normally be able to do.

Our room dimensions are: 16.5 L 13.2 W 8 H

Below in the attachments is a floor plan of our space. Everything is drawn to scale.

As you can see below, there is a door on the left rear wall and right rear wall corner. There is a glass patio door on the front wall behind the speakers. The speakers are symmetrically placed on stands straddling the front wall. There are sorbothane pads under each speaker decoupling them from the room.

We have been using the REW software paired with a Sonarworks XREF 20 measurement microphone and tripod to keep track of our progress.

We started by making super chunks. The super chunks are:

24 L 18 W 18 H

They are filled with uncompressed OC R13 Pink Fluffy Insulation. We made a total of 22 super chunks at those dimensions. We placed as many super chunks as possible going floor to ceiling in the front wall corners.

Then, we placed the rest of the superchunks in the wall ceiling corners, and floor wall corners, until they reached the doorways on each wall (we ran out of space.) The super chunks are pictured below.

As you can see below, the super chunks reduced peaks and nulls and made decay times significantly more uniform. You can see the REW waterfall for this in the attachments below.

Pictures of these superchunks are attached below.

In the same photo with the superchunks you will see the black panels placed in our early reflection points. This was our next step. We bought the panels from craigslist and they are (about) 3in. thick and filled with Roxul SNS (not sure what density) They are facing horizontal instead of vertical, to cover more surface area.

This changed the peaks and nulls slightly but not by much.

Everything was going fine until we added our cloud.

We built two 48 in x 32 in ceiling clouds made of Roxul. They are 6 inches thick with a 6 inch gap from the ceiling. This created an intense flutter echo and created all types of new problems all over the spectrum. We now have a giant peak at 60 hz. We have a giant null at around 2k and also another one at 5k. There is 1/6 octave smoothing applied to this graph in the attachments

We also added a few things to the rear wall that didn’t make much of a difference….One 24x18x18 super chunk that we had leftover and four super chunks 18x6x18 (above cupboards). We bought four tube traps from Craigslist. We put two of them on the back wall (They seem to work because they resonate when they absorb sound however we don’t know what they’re made of and they made no difference to our measurements.)

Photos of back wall attached below.

We also tried placing three of these 6ft tall 3ft wide rouxl bass traps in front of the kitchen appliances but they did absolutely nothing. (brown bass trap in photo attached below)

I really would like to solve the flutter echo and reduce the space between peaks and nulls. Or maybe I am reading the graphs wrong, or looking at the wrong type of graph? Either way, I hear a major ping when clapping my hands together in the room under the cloud. :(

Any advice or similar experiences?
Attached Thumbnails
More Bass Traps, More Problems.. Any advice? Studio Building, Photos included-floor-plan.jpg   More Bass Traps, More Problems.. Any advice? Studio Building, Photos included-before-superchunks-waterfall.jpg   More Bass Traps, More Problems.. Any advice? Studio Building, Photos included-after-superchunks-waterfall.jpg   More Bass Traps, More Problems.. Any advice? Studio Building, Photos included-superchunks-right-wall.jpg   More Bass Traps, More Problems.. Any advice? Studio Building, Photos included-superchunks-left-wall.jpg  

More Bass Traps, More Problems.. Any advice? Studio Building, Photos included-after-cloud-placement-waterfall-graph.jpg   More Bass Traps, More Problems.. Any advice? Studio Building, Photos included-back-wall-1.jpg   More Bass Traps, More Problems.. Any advice? Studio Building, Photos included-back-wall-2.jpg   More Bass Traps, More Problems.. Any advice? Studio Building, Photos included-6ft-roxul-bass-trap.jpg  
Old 6 days ago
Gear Guru

Nada

I can't really tell much from those pictures.
.mdat files can be posted directly here. As we treat a room, typically starting at LF, strange and spectacular problems pop up along the journey. Flutter echo is very distinct between two surfaces when the rest of the room is dead.
It should be possible to 'see' the problem. Flutter is purely geometrical. Two reflective surfaces parallel and facing each other. It is enough to treat one of them.

DD
Old 5 days ago
Here for the gear

Thanks DD! Would you know what might have caused the newly developed nulls at 3k , 800, and 80? They only showed up and became so severe after adding the cloud. The early reflection treatment didn't help them at all. What else could it possibly be from do you think?
Old 4 days ago
Gear Guru

Blind

I can't see much but I suspect you are doing full range measurements with two speakers running. Most such newby errors are covered in the Primer Sticky at the top of this forum. When you have proper measurements, L,R, L+R, post your .mdat file here so that we can interrogate' the data.

DD
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search