The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
one sub two subs? floating subs? is it good idea? Studio Monitors
Old 5 days ago
Gear Nut

one sub two subs? floating subs? is it good idea?

hi there after i opened a thread about a floating bass trap deck witch seems to be a bad idea.
RyanC segested that i float my sub instead

i want my setup to be neumann kh80 as my mains and KRK VXT8 with floating sub or two if its good idea for second reference.. also got SPL Phonitor mini with r70x headphones

dimension of the room :
2.8 meters in height
3.1 meters in width
5.7 vertical (with problems)

it sims my situation does not require any floor treatment if i understand right

here is a video of my room:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B1r...d0eFZRSGs/view

no live recording here. i'm mainly making music and mixing in this room making trance and chill music is my goal here.

i already got a set of krk with sub and i thought maybe i"l buy another sub and float them in some good positioning.. can be very nice i think

any thoughts?

Last edited by adiahha; 5 days ago at 05:02 PM..
Old 5 days ago
Gear Nut

Ok definitely 2 subs

should i put them on the floor or to float them with strings and lots of weight/sandbags

The subs are krk 10s

Last edited by adiahha; 5 days ago at 07:30 PM..
Old 5 days ago
Gear Nut

my ceiling is something like wood and concrete (not very strong staff it was hard to hang the acoustic panels) and isolation

the walls are maid of blocks.

floor is concrete. like you can see in the video
Old 4 days ago
Gear Guru

Locate the subs where they perform best in terms of the Frequency and Modal response. It is quite tricky to optimise, but well worth it. There are plenty of guides out there on optimise sub locations and integration with the MF HF.
Note that placing a sub in the null of a mode will not stimulate the mode much. So one might consider half length or half width. But let's not forget half height. Or for other reasons one third.... etc. etc.

DD
Old 4 days ago
Gear Nut

And what about floating it with spring and weights?
Old 4 days ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanDan View Post
There are plenty of guides out there on optimise sub locations and integration with the MF HF.
DD
can you point me to one of those i actually can't find any

Last edited by adiahha; 4 days ago at 08:18 AM..
Old 4 days ago
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

Putting the subs on appropriate sorbothane hemispheres works well
Old 4 days ago
Gear Guru

Isolation

I am sure it does Jason, Sorbothane rocks. But Spikes would couple the sub to the floor. Which is better?
DD
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

Ive always heard tighter bass and less transmission of energy to the structure from decoupling. What are the bennifits of coupling?
Old 4 days ago
Gear Guru

Benefits

Decoupling certainly diminishes the amount of energy from the cab entering the floor and thus radiating from it. I am questioning whether that is good or bad. LF radiating from multiple sources distributed around the room is shown to be beneficial. Why not couple to say a wooden floor and let the whole thing radiate? , spread the good news?
I can make up reasons why either opposing approach might be better, nothing conclusive at all though.

DD
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

If i had to guess, id imagine there wouldnt be a huge difference between the two. Could be worth testing, if isolation wasnt a requirement, but if it were my room, i would decouple by default just because its what i mostly see the cool kids do.
Old 4 days ago
Gear Guru

Cool

LOL, In the real world, I would place at least mouse mats or sorbothane under any speaker, to prevent scratching the cab or the floor...... But hypothetically it's interesting isn't it. A whole wooden floor radiating vs no time smear due to multiple source(s).
Note sound travels faster through solids, so the floor near the listener will radiate LF sound AHEAD of the airborne path....... Now which bass is 'fast'.....
DD
Old 4 days ago
Gear Nut

Old 4 days ago
Gear Guru

Nonsense

I took a quick look but once I got the part where a 12" gap was introduced between boundary and sub....... That will null and a small area of absorption will not prevent it. I would just use mouse mats or sorbothane. Or a piece of paper if you want to hear what coupled sounds like. Generally the more subs the better.
DD
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

I really think it is worth reviewing the acoustic treatments in this room before we get to floating or coupling of subs. Lots of foam at work in here
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search