The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Is my first measurement acceptable?
Old 3rd May 2018
Deleted ae681af
Is my first measurement acceptable?

Hello,

This is my first shot at Room EQ Wizard.

I removed all of the treatment from my room and gave it a shot.

I am using the Sonarworks XREF 20 with the provided 0 deg. calibration file

I followed the instructions in the GIK video.

I just want to know if everything looks correct..

and also maybe an idea of what I'm looking at would be beneficial as well. THX!
Attached Thumbnails
Is my first measurement acceptable?-corey-test-1.jpg  
Attached Files
File Type: mdat corey test 1.mdat (2.80 MB, 87 views)
Old 3rd May 2018
Deleted ae681af
I just ran L+R, L, and R. All measurements were taken in sweet spot at ear level with the mic pointing up to the ceiling...(with four inches to left for L and four inches to right for R.)

The right speaker's waterfall graph has strange gaps in it and looks nothing at all like the left.

What are these gaps with no information in between them called? Nulls? I have been googling for hours and can't find any explanation on what these gaps in the right speaker are.
Attached Thumbnails
Is my first measurement acceptable?-l.jpg   Is my first measurement acceptable?-r.jpg   Is my first measurement acceptable?-l-r.jpg   Is my first measurement acceptable?-275614ae-fc3d-42d8-9ab3-a38bed239e2c.jpg  
Attached Files
File Type: mdat corey test 2.mdat (8.38 MB, 84 views)

Last edited by Deleted ae681af; 3rd May 2018 at 10:05 AM.. Reason: more info
Old 3rd May 2018
Gear Guru
Decent

The Measurements look fine on a quick skip through.
The Waterfalls do look a bit different, as does FR, but nothing mad IMO.
I note you took L and R measurements a distance apart. I like that, it is pretty representative of what arrives at each ear. Much more so then a Nose Mic! True symmetry is very rare. Are you L and R Walls made of the same material and the same distance from each speaker and are you central? I wouldn't sweat this. The the brain sums them, particularly at LF. Narrow nulls are not really audible, particularly if not occurring equally at both ears. LF is Mono anyways!

I think 0 Degree Calibration would normally mean point the mic straight forward, at each speaker or mid way with L+R.

While you are learning REW, maybe leave the Mic Dead centre. Take her for a spin, lots of measurements and try all the graphs. The manual is brilliant. There is a learning curve, but you have pretty much an Acoustics Lab in your hands there.

DD

Last edited by DanDan; 3rd May 2018 at 06:20 PM..
Old 3rd May 2018
Deleted ae681af
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanDan View Post
The Measurements look fine on a quick skip through.
The Waterfalls do look a bit different, as does FR, but nothing mad IMO.
I note you took L and R measurements a distance apart. I like that, it is pretty representative of what arrives at each ear. Much more so then a Nose Mic! True symmetry is very rare. Are you L and R Walls made of the same material and the same distance from each speaker and are you central? I wouldn't sweat this. The the brain sums them, particularly at LF. Narrow nulls are not really audible, particularly if not occurring equally at both ears. LF is Mono anyways!

I think 0 Degree Calibration would normally mean point the mic straight forward, at each speaker or mid way with L+R.

While you are learning REW, maybe leave the Mic Dead centre. Take her for a spin, lots of measurements and try all the graphs. The manual is brilliant. There is a learning curve, but you have pretty much an Acoustics Lab in your hands there.

DD
Hi Dan,

Thanks for replying. We read your "Measuring Room Acoustics" sticky before we got started!

The virtual sketch of the floor plan is made to scale. My wife and I measured everything so the desk, distance from walls, speakers/stands, carpet are all symmetrical. We made sure there's an equilateral distance between the speakers and the listening position. We put tape down to mark all of our points for easy recall.

Although this is a strange studio room (shared with a kitchen), The L and R walls are made of the same material (drywall). The walls are thin.

*The front door is on the rear left wall (leading to outdoors)

*The door to our bedroom is on the rear right wall CORNER (leading to our bedrm.)

*There is a closed off door on our back R wall corner leading to landlords house.

I hope this is worded in an understandable way. I attached pics of each rear wall (it's messy now but it was clear when measuring)

Would what's on the other side of walls/doors cause this drastic L-R difference?

Today I will try pointing mic at the speakers like you said.(0 degrees) If I'm pointing mic at each speaker for L R, I wouldn't need to move the mic stand (4 inches L or R like before) to simulate each ear position, right?

Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Is my first measurement acceptable?-rear-l-wall-corner.jpg   Is my first measurement acceptable?-rear-r-wall-corner.jpg  
Old 3rd May 2018
Gear Guru
Normal

Try applying 1/6 octave smoothing on your Waterfalls? The differences between L and R are graphically much less. Old school thought 1/3 Oct was about the bandwidth that the ear/brain can distinguish. What is behind the Walls could certainly show up at LF. Also you have rear asymmetry, doors etc. There can be radical differences in unsmoothed FR over 2" not to mind 8". Again as LF is heard Mono, why worry other than due diligence?

Moving the mic to actual ear positions is kinda Ninja level measurement technique. I have not seen anybody else recommend it. But I have seen Acoustic Measurement done at the highest levels using Binaural Dummy Heads and even HATS. Leave the mic central if you wish, but the point remains, there is no ear at this central location, and a nose mic does not simulate the summing that goes on with the head and brain.

DD
πŸ“ Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
πŸ–¨οΈ Show Printable Version
βœ‰οΈ Email this Page
πŸ” Search thread
♾️ Similar Threads
πŸŽ™οΈ View mentioned gear