The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Control Room or not? Amp Sim & Guitar Effects Plugins
Old 16th April 2018
Here for the gear

Control Room or not?

I'm very close to kicking off my garage to studio conversion. I'll be doing the project with a couple of contractor friends. We've got a good plan, have read Rod Gervais' book, reviewed some other studios and have what we think is a good plan.

One of the big questions I need to settle on is whether to build a control room or not.

The studio will serve as a creative workspace for me alone 90% of the time. As such, I don't need, or want a control room. However, my band will be in there one night a week, sometimes rehearsing, sometimes recording. Again, for my band, no control room is necessary. Given my decades of interest in recording, I do want to start recording other bands. In those situations, I can see how a control room would be helpful, but also see it isn't a necessity.

The current plan is to build the space out without a control room, but build the floor in a way that is easy to add in a control room later if I decide I want one.

I'd love to hear from experienced studio owners, especially folks in a similar situation where your studio is mainly you most of the time. Thanks in advance for helpful replies!
Old 16th April 2018
Gear Guru
One Love

No CR. Invest on a Good In Ear or Sealed Cans system. A separate space for Drums would be really useful. Ditto an amp room.

DD
Old 16th April 2018
Lives for gear

What are the room dimensions? Most people seem to underestimate the amount of space required to build a good control room.
Old 16th April 2018
Here for the gear

Roughly 10’x15’. I hear you on adequate space for a good control room. Thinking that if we do it, the CR would be long and skinny along one side, probably 5’x10’.
Old 16th April 2018
Lives for gear

One room studio is the way to go.
Mentioned Products
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search