The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Unintentional Helmoltz Resonator
Old 16th April 2018
Gear Nut

Unintentional Helmoltz Resonator

Hello!

Without actually knowing i've created huge helmoltz resonators in my control room

They are 60cm x 40cm "boxes" and run across the the whole upper length of the side walls. Only the portion facing downwards is 20% perforated drywall.

Please check the pictures to fully understand the design.

My intention was to build bass traps without giving up all the mid-hi energy in the room. But I've actually builded huge Helmoltz resonators. At least that's what i understand. Correct me if I'm wrong.

I've used the helmoltz calculator to determine what this structure is doing and I've come with the attached results.

Now... my question is... Does a helmoltz resonator produce a "perceivable" resonance in the room?

My control room have suffered from exaggerated peaks at 330Hz and 420Hz and now I'm not sure if this is because of the aforementioned structures.

I'm planning to remove the side drywall and use fabric instead. That way the structure will became more of a broadband bass trap.

Why do you guys think about it?

Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Unintentional Helmoltz Resonator-img_0148-1-.jpg   Unintentional Helmoltz Resonator-captura-de-pantalla-2018-04-15-la-s-5.59.59-p.-m..jpg   Unintentional Helmoltz Resonator-img_0876.jpg   Unintentional Helmoltz Resonator-img_0153.jpg   Unintentional Helmoltz Resonator-captura-de-pantalla-2018-04-15-la-s-6.48.23-p.-m..png  

Last edited by rokko101; 16th April 2018 at 01:07 AM..
Old 16th April 2018
Lives for gear

Why did you leave only one side with perforations?
Old 16th April 2018
Gear Guru
Unlikely

Old 16th April 2018
Gear Nut

Hi there!

I left the sides closed basically because the slanted ceiling, half floating (tiles), half perforated drywall (front of the room) has to be partially supported and attached to those surfaces. It was also an aesthetic decision because the perforations would be partially covered in different angles.

I thought those sides may act as a membrane bass trap, efficient at 20Hz-50Hz... but now from what I understand the perforated sides most certainly negates this effect (That frequency range may not be that useful considering my near field monitors goes down only to 42Hz).

I can partially remove or perforate exposed surface of those sides. That may be a better use of those structures, right?

Thanks!
Old 16th April 2018
Lives for gear

It really depends on what problem modes you're trying to address. They say in carpentry, "measure twice, cut once", and I think that is doubly important in acoustics.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search