The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Studio desk building plans?
Old 15th April 2018
Gear Maniac

Studio desk building plans?

Can anyone link me to any kind of studio desk building plans/measurements?

I'm pretty much ITB but have a couple of rack bits and a keyboard.

I'm not experienced building but thought this could be a good start if I had some plans to help.

Thanks in advance,

dan
Old 15th April 2018
Lives for gear

I don't have any plans, but acoustically speaking I'd advise keeping the desk as small as possible.
Old 16th April 2018
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyezenears View Post
Can anyone link me to any kind of studio desk building plans/measurements?

I'm pretty much ITB but have a couple of rack bits and a keyboard.

I'm not experienced building but thought this could be a good start if I had some plans to help.

Thanks in advance,

dan

hey dan,

here a link:

https://sterlingmodular.com/product-pages/plan-series/

choose the model you like and download the spec sheet. the spec sheet shows the measurements.

greetings
Matthew
Old 16th April 2018
Old 17th April 2018
Gear Maniac

Thanks Jens and Mathew, I'll give them a shot.
Old 18th April 2018
Lives for gear

There are quite a few models on SketchUp's searchable model database.

I'm in the process of building my rig and decided to go with this desk for my setup, with minor adjustments:
My stutio desk | 3D Warehouse

You can easily use the tape-measure tool to get the dimensions. The designer (Alexey E) did a great job if you ask me, as it fit my needs precisely. The keyboard tray is fit to support most 88key keyboards, and the 4U rack spaces are built to fit 19" units, and with a decent depth. It's a very solid, simple and well thought-out design.
Old 19th April 2018
jrl
Here for the gear
Sketchup is a pretty cool program. I've been learning it and came up with a straight up rip off of the platform desk from output. It will take two sheets of Baltic birch 3/4 inch that comes in 5x5 sheets for around $65 each. The keyboard drawer rails are a little pricy to hold the weight and i want the hold-out and hold-in feature. I havent figured out what exact ones to get yet, but im sure they exist. Probably ~$50-$75 a set. The desk will have 3 3u racks (need to find the brackets). It will be a bit complicated to cut with all the weird angles, but I will rent a good table saw to make it easier. Add in some polyurethane, screws, some cable management channels, a goodmrouter bit, sandpaper, etc.. I can't see it going over $300. I have enough design that makes sense to me, but mine isn't good enough to publish up on their site. I'd feel a little guilty since I pretty much ripped off someone else's hard work.
Old 19th April 2018
jrl
Here for the gear
nnnn

Here is what I came up with in Sketchup. I have NOT built this yet, but if you have used the program, I don't see how it wouldn't work if you make the cuts right.

I included a cut plan for 5'x5' plywood, which is how the quality Baltic Birch comes. It may need tweeking if it isn't exactly 5'x5'x3/4". You can make the legs thinner, or the privact panel on the second board if your board isn't wide enough. if it's thinner it will change a lot of the measurements. I didn't put the cable holes in the drawing, as I had issues with taking parts of a solid space out in SketchUp.

Attached is the Sketchup file, and JPG of the cut plans and a 3d render of the desk. I will post a pic in a couple weeks once I get it built. I can get 5'x5'x3/4" Baltic Birch locally for $65 each. So $130 for wood for this project. Should be fun!

Attached Thumbnails
Studio desk building plans?-desk-5_6_2-done.jpg   Studio desk building plans?-desk-5_6_1-5x5x.75-inch-board-2-2.jpg   Studio desk building plans?-desk-5_6_1-5x5x.75-inch-board-1-2.jpg  
Attached Files
File Type: skp Desk 5_6_2 Done.skp (136.5 KB, 129 views)
Old 20th April 2018
Gear Head

hey,

if you want to build a nice-looking office desk - then you already have a nice plan.

if you want to build a desk that acoustically makes sense, your plan is not so good.

it looks in your pictures as if the three table surfaces were straight - 180 ° angle.

it would be better to tilt the table surfaces slightly forward. on the front down. where you are sitting.

So you increase the chance to pass reflections under your ears better.

Just look again at the pictures in the link from Jens Eklund or the link I have posted. The tables are all pretty winding. There is a reason for that.

greetings
Old 20th April 2018
jrl
Here for the gear
Haha, No, not trying for an office desk. And yes, the surfaces are flat 180 degrees. I was trying to copy a desk I saw that was supposed to be for recording... I do like the idea of having my MIDI keyboard in a drawer easily accessible.

Am I understanding you correctly that I need to lower the front (or raise the back) to tilt the desk surface? Perhaps also angle the sides inward some? How much of an angle? more that a couple degrees and everything would slide off.. Or am I just on a way wrong track? I am not hardware based, I do run through a PC, so I need monitors, keyboard, etc.

I do appreciate your feedback, I know I don't know what I am doing, and I am trying to learn. Thanks!
Old 20th April 2018
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrl View Post
Haha, No, not trying for an office desk. And yes, the surfaces are flat 180 degrees. I was trying to copy a desk I saw that was supposed to be for recording... I do like the idea of having my MIDI keyboard in a drawer easily accessible.

Am I understanding you correctly that I need to lower the front (or raise the back) to tilt the desk surface? Perhaps also angle the sides inward some? How much of an angle? more that a couple degrees and everything would slide off.. Or am I just on a way wrong track? I am not hardware based, I do run through a PC, so I need monitors, keyboard, etc.

I do appreciate your feedback, I know I don't know what I am doing, and I am trying to learn. Thanks!
hey,

I searched quickly in google and found two pictures. The first one shows the problem of a straight table top and the second a possible solution.

There are different opinions on how big the different angles have to be.

Some say the angle should be greater than 6 degrees.

Others say you should lift the back of the table surface until the axis is pointing at the tweeters of your speakers. This can be very steep in some cases.

What I noticed by looking at the commercial pro tables is that they are all angled at about 15 degrees in the rear area and then less at the front, or not at all at the front. The front surface is rather small (about 30 cm). The front part is also so close to the sitting position, that actually nothing can reach the ear.

As I said, there are different opinions of the experts. But where everyone always agrees - and I think that's right - is the fact that no blanket answers are possible. It depends on how your room is, where your speakers are, where you are sitting, etc.

The simplest is you put a measuring mic to your sitting position and take any table and put it between you and your speakers. Take 2 or 3 measurements. Then put something under the front table feet, so that the table tilts to you and measure again.
Then you can see what the angle does and how far you have to go with it. If you have a good result - take the table away and measure again. You can see if the result with or without a table is better or worse. If it's better without a table, you might also want to make sure that you keep your new table as small as possible. If it does not make much difference comparing the measurements, you will have more options in size.

But it is important that the whole thing remains practical for you at the end of the day. The best acoustic table will not help you if you can not work with it.
Your creativity is simply in demand to find the best compromise between your desired method of working and with the findings of the measurements.

greetings
Matthew
Attached Thumbnails
Studio desk building plans?-acoustic-retaining-walls.jpg   Studio desk building plans?-side-view.jpg  
Old 23rd April 2018
jrl
Here for the gear
Is this a little better? Still not done, but this is probably a better track. The black box is my midi keyboard. I made the top shelf for the monitors a lot smaller, angled the racks (3 3U space) I will add a slide out tray for mouse and keyboard. Sketchup pro is a very cool program!
Attached Thumbnails
Studio desk building plans?-desk-5_3.jpg  
Old 17th February 2019
You ever build your Platform copy?
Old 4 weeks ago
jrl
Here for the gear
No, I haven't. My current job is ending sometime in the near future, waiting to see where I land and what kind of space I will have then.
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Here is my design and sterling style. I've made in Thailand last year. If you like them i think I can share plans but stering style I'm not so sure about copyright

I modeled in sketchup and use the file to cut them on CNC machine. I paid cnc factory to cut them for me. They cost $$$ per sheet. These desks use about 2-3 sheets of plywood and fitting them together.

if you like to make your own desk you can search for cnc service in your area

My advice

- Edges should be round or bevel as much as you can to minimize diffration

- Make surface as small as possible large surface can reflect more sound wave than small surface

Or if you place speaker on desk larger surface will produce more sound. If you put speakers on desk you should have some kind of isolation to avoid vibration transmit to deak (BTW isolation shown in 1st pic not working the desk still vibrate)

- avoid boxy table coz they can resonate easily. That's why sterling modular use OPEN DESIGN
Attached Thumbnails
Studio desk building plans?-fb_img_1550694796199.jpg   Studio desk building plans?-fb_img_1550694554140.jpg   Studio desk building plans?-fb_img_1550697785469.jpg   Studio desk building plans?-fb_img_1550697792839.jpg  
Old 4 weeks ago
jrl
Here for the gear
puukij, that looks great!
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search