The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Building Gobos size
Old 10th April 2018
Lives for gear

Building Gobos size

I want to build some gobos for my recording room. I've decided to have them fully absorbing on both sides. Each gobo will be 1,20m x 1,00m
This is a practical size and should be easy enough to move.

My main question is how thick the gobos should be. I'm pondering between 10cm or 20cm thickness.
I'm aware that acoustics is normally the more the better
Is this necessary for this gobo?

The main area of application will be to get some separation between drums and amps (mostly guitar).

Ideas/Tipps?
Old 10th April 2018
Gear Guru
Big

Bigger is best. Maybe something modular, two piece stacking.
I have seen expensive ones in a local studio with wheels. The gap at the floor rendered them almost useless.
200mm maybe with a blocking board inside the insulation. 8" should self stand and stack nicely. If not just make the floor board wider.

DD
Old 11th April 2018
Lives for gear

Thanks dandan.
I agree with the wheels. I intend to make them stand on the floor. I’m just not 100% sure how thick
How much more effective will it be with 20cm vs 10cm? Any idea?
Old 11th April 2018
Gear Guru
Bigger

Bigger is better.
DD
Old 12th April 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanDan View Post
Bigger is better.
DD
:D
ok, point taken
Old 12th April 2018
Gear Guru
Leakage

Sorry I didn't mean to be mean! I intended to say remember how big LF waves and wave fronts can be. Bass notes can be 30 feet long. So definitely 200mm of fibre would be good. But I would put a layer of MDF in the middle. Or plasterboard.
Area is just as important, thus the two part suggestion. For a seated muso, instrument a head height Gobo would place the instrument or amp kind of in the middle of height. You should try to get a similar width.
DD
Old 13th April 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Sorry I didn't mean to be mean! I intended to say remember how big LF waves and wave fronts can be. Bass notes can be 30 feet long. So definitely 200mm of fibre would be good. But I would put a layer of MDF in the middle. Or plasterboard.
Area is just as important, thus the two part suggestion. For a seated muso, instrument a head height Gobo would place the instrument or amp kind of in the middle of height. You should try to get a similar width.
DD
Thanks DD.
I did not take it badly. It was mostly that i already knew the answer before asking
Just wanted a second opinion.
Good idea with the Plasterboard in the middle. I will see if there is an easy way to make it work and also not be too heavy.
My plan is to build 2 gobos (1,20m x 1,00m x 0,20) for now. i can then stack them if i need to. IF i need more i can build more

thanks for your great advice! always appreciated.
Old 13th April 2018
Gear Guru
Mass

You are welcome. Plasterboard is just the cheapest mass. MDF or Cement Board may well be better to work with.

DD
Old 13th April 2018
Gear Addict

Quote:
I have seen expensive ones in a local studio with wheels. The gap at the floor rendered them almost useless.
Interesting. I'm aware that GIK sell metal and wooden stands that have a floor clearance of ~30cm, which I've been considering for a movable bass trap panel (to be placed behind my listening position).

Would such a gap potentially compromise the panel's effectiveness?
Old 13th April 2018
Gear Guru
Blocking

Any gap at the floor severely diminishes the blocking. This will be much more noticeable if a solid blocker is involved. Open a door a little and sound from the next room sails in. I am unsure of where this trap is and what you hope it to do? DD
Old 14th April 2018
Gear Addict

Quote:
Any gap at the floor severely diminishes the blocking. This will be much more noticeable if a solid blocker is involved. Open a door a little and sound from the next room sails in. I am unsure of where this trap is and what you hope it to do? DD
The gobo trap would be used to add extra treatment to the rear wall. It'd be positioned immediately in front of three of GIK tuned traps (70Hz), which are fitted to the rear wall door. For this reason the trap obviously needs to be moveable.

I've attached a Sketchup of the rear wall - the gobo trap that I'm considering is highlighted red.
Attached Thumbnails
Building Gobos size-rear-wall.jpg  
Old 15th April 2018
Gear Guru
Gobo Trap

Gobo suggests to me Go Between. A primarily blocking device.
Good ones would have quite a mass of core and a good area, 'sealed' at the only possible place, the floor.

Absorbent traps are not good at blocking. And your location has no blocking requirement. A little bit of extra BW treatment cannot do any harm. But that size, in the middle of the wall, least effect place, I doubt any benefit to be honest.

DD
Old 15th April 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Gobo suggests to me Go Between. A primarily blocking device.
Good ones would have quite a mass of core and a good area, 'sealed' at the only possible place, the floor.

Absorbent traps are not good at blocking. And your location has no blocking requirement. A little bit of extra BW treatment cannot do any harm. But that size, in the middle of the wall, least effect place, I doubt any benefit to be honest.

DD
agree completley, except if the problem he has is a slapback between front and back wall. then it would be effective.

Thanks dandan for your support. just finished half of my gobo. will post a pic tomorrow when its done
Old 15th April 2018
Gear Guru
Slapback

Indeed I have such a slapjack, which flutters crazily. I have two large windows in the back wall. There is a small 'pillar' area of wall between them. This flutters ridiculously with the area above the large DAW screen.
A thin MicroTrap in the Front Wall eliminated it completely.

DD
Old 23rd April 2018
Lives for gear

So here are the Gobos i built!
took me a while to take some pictures! think they look great havent had time to test them. This weekend will be the first test
Attached Thumbnails
Building Gobos size-img_3993.jpg   Building Gobos size-img_3995.jpg   Building Gobos size-img_3996.jpg  
Old 1st March 2019
Gear Head

they look great. how much rockwool did you use ?
Old 2nd March 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighAndDry View Post
they look great. how much rockwool did you use ?

Thanks. for some reason the pictures are on their side...

I wrote it above, they are 1,20m x 1,00m x 0,20m
Work fine.
Old 12th June 2019
Gear Maniac
Hey, nice gobos you made!

Congrats !

Out of curiosity, Is 120cm height enough to record drums with other instruments at the same time?

Trying to build few gobos to isolate grand piano/bass/ drums. (Simple jazz trio)

I’m thinking to make them 6’(180cm).

What do you think? Is 120cm enough or should I make them to 180cm to block sound coming from drum to bass/piano mics?

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search