The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Skyline Diffuser Idea Diffusion Products
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

Skyline Diffuser Idea

So I have been trying for a while now to think of a way to make a diffuser that would require as few power tools as possible and be light weight for easy wall hanging (currently living in an apartment). I have a concept in my mind but I'm not sure it is really going to work the way I think it will.

I found a source for cheap pre-cut 1/8" plywood squares that are 4"x4". My thought is to get a ton of these and use 1/4" wood dowel material cut to different lengths as "posts" for each plywood piece. The dowels would just glue into the center of each square and provide the depth of the diffuser. The dowels could then easily be layed out on in a grid by gluing the other end into a typical MDF pegboard sheet you can get at home depot.

If my calculations are correct a 4'x2' panel made this way would only weight about 10-12 lbs. My question is will the plywood squares actually reflect the sound without having their sides fully closed in? I'm concern the sound would just go around the plywood and get trapped in the space behind each piece which would act more as an absorber than a diffuser. Thoughts?
Old 1 week ago
Gear Head

IMO, Skyline diffusers should be built to predictable results, which means following designs that are known. The side wells of the blocks contribute to the diffusion. And, have you determined if diffusion is really the treatment needed? What measured problem are you trying to fix? Provide details, dimensions, photos, anything to help.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search