The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Rockwool 233 vs Rockboard 60?
Old 21st February 2018
Here for the gear

Rockwool 233 vs Rockboard 60?

Hello new to GS forum. Recently ive really been getting into optimizing the acoustics for my home theater. First I looked for OC 703 locally(Orlando Area), then after only 1 supplier had it but I had to buy a huge amount, I moved on to Rockboard 60/80. One supplier didnt have Rockboard 60 or 80 but he has a product called Rockwool 233 and 231. Im more interested in the 233 because its 6 lbs per cubic ft density.

Just wondering will the Rockwool 233 work equally to or possibly even better than the Rockboard 60?

Im using this for General Absorption in my HT. Im not going to have anything really elaborate but I just want good acoustics for my speakers. I have one sub but its a small 10 inch klipsch sw450.

I can continue calling around in search of Rockboard 60 or Rockboard 80 and I might be able to find it. But the Rockwool 233 I believe is a good price. The supplier said hed sell me a bundle of the 233 for 43 dollars. The bundle contains 7 pieces, each piece 2x4 feet, 2 inches thick. Covers a total of 56 sq ft.

Im very intrigued to hear your opinion of the Rockwool 233 and just how exactly does it stack up with Rockboard 60 which is also 6 lb per cubic ft? I went to Bobgolds site and I couldnt find any data on Rockwool 233? As a matter a fact there isnt much info or testimonials or user experience of any kind regarding 233.

Right now im debating between buying one or two boxes of the 233. This home theater is going to be installed into a small room though so perhaps one box would be sufficient.

Thanks guys for your suggestions, I really look forward to hearing them!
Old 23rd February 2018
Lives for gear

Relative obscurity of said material is material to it's price, not knowing the difference in the characteristics between the two you have been quoted can be material to the success of your project. Using known materials for known applications is the way to go, not wasting time searching for bargains with stuff that may not perform as well due to different spec's of manufacture. Know the PCF density of whatever you use, and also know it's application, either general broadband absorption vs bass trapping....There is a big difference between the two and how each technique benefits an environment, broadband absorption should be used sparingly as over dampening the low-mid, mid, high-mid and high bands will degrade the performance of your space. Much better bang for your buck by bass trapping.Lots more info about this at GIK and ATS acoustics.

YYMV

Light

Temple
Old 23rd February 2018
Lives for gear

This should be helpful...

Selecting the Right Acoustic Material

YYMV

and this...

BuyInsulationProducts.com - Online Dist of Fiberglass Pipe Insulation

Light

Temple

Last edited by Temple of Light; 23rd February 2018 at 06:52 AM..
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search