The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
[Graphic picture of the room] Setting up newbie soundproof studio after rennovation. Studio Monitors
Old 15th February 2018
Here for the gear

[Graphic picture of the room] Setting up newbie soundproof studio after rennovation.

Hello my dear GS'ers

I just started my music production/DJ passion more seriously a couple of months ago, I'm really in the beginning of everything. At the moment my room is getting rennovated and I would like to ask you forum beasts to assist me regarding acoustics and overall in creating my musicando room!!

Below the PAINT MADE picture of my room:

http://funkyimg.com/i/2CqYc.bmp

1. I plan to build my own panels using wood for the border, rockwool for the inside (a)how thick you think it should be? I heard 10cm is fine) and I will cover it with some great looking material so it looks nice with the new painted walls. b)How big the panels should be in your opinion and how many of them ? As I live with other people whom I don't want to hear the noise AT ALL, c)is it possible to make my room ULTRA soundproof with those panels + carpet + maybe something else like basstraps?. It is really a key matter for me for the least sound and bass to come out of my room and disturb other housemates. d)Should I put a Panel on the door aswell?

2. Is the position of my desk good? I would plan to put my monitors on the desk as u can see in the picture. They're gonna stand on special stands for acoustics (maybe adam hall ones, because they're cheap - but probably regulated ones)

3. I know that carpets are very good for soundproofing, is there any special type of material for carpets which is best for catching the sound? I'm definately gonna have one.

Gear:
-Arturia KeyLab 88
-JBL LSR305 (going to get these today!)
-Focusrite Scarlett Solo
-Samson C01
-Laptop MSI GTX 1050 TI, 8GB RAM
-Pioneer DDJ RB

So yeah, as I said the main goal is to make my room look like great beautiful studio, which keeps as much as possible sound and bass INSIDE - I repeat that is a key matter for me.

I will be very grateful for replies from much more experienced people. Bless you guys
Old 15th February 2018
Lives for gear

I suggest that you either find yourself a local acoustician or spend at least one week reading different threads in this forum (and possibly others). Learn about the difference between acoustic treatment and sound isolation (and possibly that your room is too small to isolate successfully). Learn how to properly treat a room (not using thin porous treatment like carpet etc.) just to name a few things.

Here’s one for starters:

Does treating a rooms interior help sound not bothering neighbours?
Old 15th February 2018
What Jens said.

Plus: a simple way of thinking about sound isolation is that the thing that really matters is mass, think concrete or really well constructed multiple gypsum walls. Not the whole truth but I think it’s close enough for this thread. In other words: there are no simple things to build for not disturbing your mates. Sorry.

But your speakers are not all that powerful so they won’t go terribly loud. I suggest getting headphones for late night inspiration. Plus most important:
Have a candid conversation with roomies and neighbors. Give them a clear mandate to tell you to shut up anytime they really need to focus or sleep. And your phone number to reach you. If you keep up good relations they will hardly ever use it and you can happily keep creating.
Old 15th February 2018
Here for the gear

Thanks a lot guys... I have almost no problem with neighbours just parents at home who don't like their bass on their heads.. I want to listen to the music quite loud, not ultra loud and the main thing for me is to prevent the bass from travelling around the whole house.
Old 16th February 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by FilibMusic View Post
c)is it possible to make my room ULTRA soundproof with those panels + carpet + maybe something else like basstraps?
No. You are confusing sound attenuation with acoustical improvement. That panel, carpet and basstrap approach will make your room sound better if you do it right but it won't stop your sound from getting out of the room.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedberg View Post
a simple way of thinking about sound isolation is that the thing that really matters is mass, think concrete or really well constructed multiple gypsum walls.
Mass may be king....but damped mass rules. You can cheat Mass Law by damping.

If you are serious about limiting the sound transmission through your walls you'll need to do some real construction that involves more gypsum wall board and a damping component such as Green Glue, although contrary to popular belief, GG is not the only game in town.

Best of luck. Get some good headphones but be careful with them.
Old 17th February 2018
Gear Guru
Wisdom

On the first day, and again on the last day just before our Exams, my Professor told us.
Insulation is not Isolation.
Word, DD
Old 20th February 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanDan View Post
Insulation is not Isolation.
I'm stealing that...just wrote it on one of my white boards. Bet I get to use it on a call before this day is out.

Attached Thumbnails
[Graphic picture of the room] Setting up newbie soundproof studio after rennovation.-img_0162-1-.jpg  
Old 21st February 2018
Here for the gear

So does it require heavy structure and wall changes of my room to keep the sound inside a bit more? I don't want to play super loud but I want it quite loud without people hearing it inside the house.

Any advices of what should I do then?
Old 21st February 2018
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unclenny View Post
No. You are confusing sound attenuation with acoustical improvement. That panel, carpet and basstrap approach will make your room sound better if you do it right but it won't stop your sound from getting out of the room.

Mass may be king....but damped mass rules. You can cheat Mass Law by damping.

If you are serious about limiting the sound transmission through your walls you'll need to do some real construction that involves more gypsum wall board and a damping component such as Green Glue, although contrary to popular belief, GG is not the only game in town.

Best of luck. Get some good headphones but be careful with them.
Thanks man, it definately will be helpful... but like I said above, is there any sufficient way to make the sound and bass not spread around the house ?

Thanks a ton..
Old 21st February 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
So does it require heavy structure and wall changes of my room to keep the sound inside a bit more? I don't want to play super loud but I want it quite loud without people hearing it inside the house.

Any advices of what should I do then?
Sound isolation in your situation always requires the addition of mass (preferably damped) to a sealed assembly. Unfortunately, this entails real construction. There are no easy ways out.

With bass frequencies it is even tougher. To make a serious dent in low frequency transmission you really need a double wall assembly. All of these solutions are pretty much permanent.
Old 21st February 2018
Quote:
Thanks man, it definately will be helpful... but like I said above, is there any sufficient way to make the sound and bass not spread around the house ?

Thanks a ton..
This is what I do (bedroom producer nowadays, used to work professionally).
1. Had an acoustic consultant come home, gave real improvements in monitoring, not so much in isolation even if I did a bit of actual construction work (but that was exactly what he predicted)
2. Monitor my levels constantly which is both good for mixing consistency and not-disturbing-wife-and-neighbours. Typically around or below 70 db(c). Occasionally upwards of 85, but that needs to be short.
3. If I work late, temporarily filter bass on the master, works wonders for reducing disturbance.
4. Now and then TALK to the people around me to see what works for them.

Of all these I would say 4. is the most important. Actually talking to one another works wonders!

Headphones is of course an option but I don’t use it much.

And: have fun, you will eventually figure out ways to get your creative juices flowing!
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search