The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Room Choice
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

Tyler Acoustic D1x Room Choice

Hello to all of you.. could you guys give me a quick recommendation on room choice? I'll be using it to record and mix records.
The 12 x 9 room has a door in the bottom left corner and bass trapping seems impossible for that corner. For room #3 I can place bass traps on the wall to capture the buildup in that weird corner section. All other corners will have floor to ceiling bass traps.

Thank You
Attached Thumbnails
Room Choice-resized_20180213_120226.jpeg   Room Choice-resized_20180213_120238.jpeg   Room Choice-resized_20180213_120248.jpeg  
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

Anyone ?
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

#3 looks like a dead ringer for a LEDE type design, use the smaller weird shaped end as your control room/mix position, the larger end for live tracking. Corner Bass trap the sh!i!te out of all of it...then use 6" depth panels for first reflections and the cloud. Other wise if you dont have the time money and knowledge to treat the room effectively, go with the 12x9 design, and again basstrap.
This:
Acoustics Forum • View topic - Studiotips Corner Absorber
This:
Acoustics Forum • View topic - Studiotips SuperChunk
This:
Basics of Room Setup -

Light

Temple
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

I have 6 inch panels that are 2 ft by 4 ft (16 of them) and 4 floor to ceiling bass traps. All made with roxul safe and sound. The problem with that corner is the door entry is located there and it's not nearly as big for a control room. At most I could use it for recording vocals only. The room is a square without that section and there is a ton of bass build up in that corner. I have used that room before and the results were not bad. At the time I didn't have the proper treatment for that corner.

12x9 seems optimal based upon it's a longer room; however there is a door in the corner and it will be spring or early summer before I will build a sliding bass trap.

I'm not into live tracking just yet, momentarily I'm recording guitar and vocals.

Thanks for the reply, I really appreciate it.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict
how about using the weird looking part of room #3 for computers, storage, coffee machine? or as small booth to isolate amps? or as a reverb chamber?
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

DeeDeeYeah, Thanks for tuning in!

My illustration for room #3 is a bit exaggerated; however the # of ft are correct.
That section is rather small and there is a huge doorway entrance there

Without that section attached the room is an 11x11 room. That section also has a lot of bass buildup as well (I've used this room before)
Attached Thumbnails
Room Choice-20180214_062159.jpg  
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Having seen that photo I'd choose Room #2 . You could put a bass trap on wheels or some kind of stand if you need to place it in front of the doorway.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by Impervious View Post
My illustration for rooom #3 is a bit exaggerated; however the # of ft are correct.
That section is rather small and there is a huge doorway entrance there
Without that section attached the room is an 11x11 room.

on a strictly practical level: it's usefull to put the heavy gear (drums/amps/keys/leslie) in the most accessible room; however, there is also good reason to use the largest room for the loudest instruments - or for the most people - or mixing, if you're spending more time on mixing(/mastering) than on tracking...

good luck and keep us posted on how you progress!
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

Thank You guys, for your input. It is really appreciated. I'll be updating you guys with pictures as I progress. 12x9 is the room I will be going with. Lets get this party rockin'

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search