The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Building a studio in a room with alcoves.
Old 13th February 2018
Here for the gear

Building a studio in a room with alcoves.

Hello everyone at Gearslutz!

I am building my own little studio with some friends so I thought to get some advice from the community.

Got a really good price on some space in my city. We have a room about 500 sq/ft (21ft by 18ft and 8feet high) but as you will see in the sketch below it's a bit of a weird space. It has a little alcove at the corner of the room. We would like to block it off with some thick drapes or moving blankets to make an iso booth, however; we want to get the best possible sound out of this room, and are a bit confused as to how we would treat this space. So far, we are ready to build panels and plan on treating every corner of the room with bass traps.

Any ideas or advice is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

sketch: 20180212_214726.jpg - Google Drive

Last edited by yh2514; 13th February 2018 at 03:13 PM.. Reason: wrong room measurements (again)
Old 18th February 2018
The alcove is no big deal.

This is what I would do with this space:
NOTE: This is just an example and you will have to take measurements of your room to properly treat and tune it. So this is like a rough draft.

1. I would place your desk facing the wall as you walk in. Make sure it not against the wall, to give your studio monitors at least 3 feet form the back wall.

2. Then i would get (or build) at least 20 to 25 2'x4'x2" (length-height-width)panels of corning 703 or 705 and hang them about 2 to 4 feet apart from each other on every wall and place 4 to 6 of them on the ceiling, right above each studio monitor and right above your head.

3. Then get about 6 bass traps that are 2'x4'x4" made from corning 703 or 705 and put them in the 4 corners and then 2 of them on the back wall

4. Get or make some wood diffuses and hang them either on the back walls and ceiling. You can make wood ones for a decent price. for this size of room, i would make 4'x4' ones.

CJ
Old 22nd February 2018
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ Mastering View Post
The alcove is no big deal.

This is what I would do with this space:
NOTE: This is just an example and you will have to take measurements of your room to properly treat and tune it. So this is like a rough draft.

1. I would place your desk facing the wall as you walk in. Make sure it not against the wall, to give your studio monitors at least 3 feet form the back wall.

2. Then i would get (or build) at least 20 to 25 2'x4'x2" (length-height-width)panels of corning 703 or 705 and hang them about 2 to 4 feet apart from each other on every wall and place 4 to 6 of them on the ceiling, right above each studio monitor and right above your head.

3. Then get about 6 bass traps that are 2'x4'x4" made from corning 703 or 705 and put them in the 4 corners and then 2 of them on the back wall

4. Get or make some wood diffuses and hang them either on the back walls and ceiling. You can make wood ones for a decent price. for this size of room, i would make 4'x4' ones.

CJ

Thank you so much CJ! I will use this advice you have given me and let you know if everything works out
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search