The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Is it worth covering the entire ceiling as opposed to using "clouds"?
Old 24th January 2018
Lives for gear

Is it worth covering the entire ceiling as opposed to using "clouds"?

I just went to the DIY store to get a quote on supplies. Just the ceiling treatment for my control room / live room will set me back over 1500euro . Is there any way I can reduce this cost by not doing the entire ceiling and using a cloud in the mix position as well as several other clouds in the tracking position in the back of the control room? I suppose the question I really need answered is, what will the benefit be if I do cover the entire ceiling? Instead of doing 2' of treatment I could just go for 1' and still be alright according to this Porous Absorber Calculator

Room dimensions are 40' X 16' X 10'(ceiling).
Old 24th January 2018
Gear Maniac

Just use cheap pink fluffy instead of the higher density that you had in the calc. Check these results Multi-layer Absorber Calculator
Old 24th January 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by doodlebug View Post
Just use cheap pink fluffy instead of the higher density that you had in the calc. Check these results Multi-layer Absorber Calculator
That is using cheap fluffy! Or Yellow fluffy as we have here in EU. To cover 56sqm of ceiling area @ 50cm thickness I would need 35 packs @ 38 euro each. I don't see a huge difference between 30cm and 50cm so maybe I should just do 30cm. Not sure if it is better to have thicker and less coverage or thinner and more coverage. I don't know if anyone really know this..Maybe Ethan if he is still around, I remember reading somewhere that he did some kind of tests like this. I must find him!!

thnks for the comparison, interesting to see the slight differences in the low end

Last edited by attaboy_jhb; 26th January 2018 at 07:29 PM..
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search