The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Mixing/Recording Basement Studio Condenser Microphones
Old 17th January 2018
Here for the gear
Building Basement Studio for Mixing/Recording

Hey everyone! Building a recording/mixing space in my basement. I could really use some help or advise if anyone is for it.
My Background & Gear-
1. Mix and master a wide variety of music. Funk, Alternative, rock, hip-hop, jazz, blues, reggae, dub, pop, indie. Also different types of Electronic music (sub bass heavy music).
[INDENT][INDENT]1a.I use an "in the box" setup at the moment. I built a powerhouse PC. [64gb ram, i7 8th gen, etc.] Some would say I own way too many plugins, I have plugins from Waves, SoundToys(all), Metric Halo, FabFilter(all), Izoptope(almost all), UAD (all) w/ octo dsp card, Slate Digital (all), Native Instruments (all), there is more.

2. I write music. I make acoustic music, jam music, and Produce Electronic Music (low end mid tempo music). I play live on a Bose F1 system that I purchased.

3. I record music D.I. and with an Aston Origin mic. [I use the Aston Halo for vocals and acoustic. (Blocks reflections extremely well)][INDENT] 3a. D.I.:Focusrite Scarlett 6i6 (open to any audio interface suggestions with some solid preamps).

4. MonitorsUsing JBL lsr308s AND Yamaha Hs7s. I am interested in potentially adding a nicer pair; I just don't know how worth it would be in the room I am in.

5. Headphone. Open to any suggestions, here's what I got; Aiaiai-Young Guru, Beyerdynamic DT 990 Pro, Fischer Audio Maple fa-003 Titanium Driver: Titanium Driver + Maple wooden caps | Fischer Audio

The Goal/Room Layout

The layout and dimensions of the basement are in the pictures. There is a lot of space to play with. It's good because the room is oddly shaped. But it is also not good. And the whole thing is really long. It's 35ft then it cuts off (as you can see in picture A, the left side goes back farther and creates a 117inx9ft pocket (labeled "extra space" in pic). Picture B is taken in the same place but 180 degrees turned.You can see there is another little pocket that sums to the 26in wall. Picture C is from the 117inx9ft pocket/corner.

I was thinking about putting the desk around where I took the pictures, then having the monitors facing/playing to the large part of the room. But what the hell do I know. The main goal is to put it in a place where is is most acoustically sound; then from there, add diffusion/traps/walls/soundproofing etc.-also want to mention the ceiling is the thinnest part of the space. I can hear people stepping upstairs.

I'll take any advice on base traps or things to help with reverb and resonance. I want to get the room sounding as accurate as possible. I have a 1k-2k budget, will to do more if needed. I feel like I may need to reduce the length of the room, and somehow compensate for the low 7ft ceiling. Maybe add some fiberglass soundproof to the door (it's really thin). Things like that possibly.

I'll also love any advice or business tips on possible ways to make income. My dream is to be an audio engineer and record, mix and, master in my studio. It's a slow journey, but I can hear the progress. I defiantly need to gain more confidence mixing in the next couple years, before I rent a space.
I am looking to rent a space here in Brooklyn and invest in professional acoustic treatment. I should have enough saved up about 2.5 years. For now, I am going to work with what I have in my basement. I went to trade school a year ago for Producing, Mixing, and Mastering; I've been practicing ever since. I just have to train my ears and set the room up as well as I can.

Thanks Everyone in advance, any input is highly appreciated.

Picture A sketch-1516090973384.png - Google Drive

Picture B sketch-1516089716313.png - Google Drive

Picture C Basement 2.jpg - Google Drive

Last edited by VoLuminous; 17th January 2018 at 09:45 PM.. Reason: Finishing up post
Old 21st January 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by VoLuminous View Post
Hey everyone! Building a recording/mixing space in my basement. I could really use some help or advise if anyone is for it.
My Background & Gear-
1. Mix and master a wide variety of music. Funk, Alternative, rock, hip-hop, jazz, blues, reggae, dub, pop, indie. Also different types of Electronic music (sub bass heavy music).
[INDENT][INDENT]1a.I use an "in the box" setup at the moment. I built a powerhouse PC. [64gb ram, i7 8th gen, etc.] Some would say I own way too many plugins, I have plugins from Waves, SoundToys(all), Metric Halo, FabFilter(all), Izoptope(almost all), UAD (all) w/ octo dsp card, Slate Digital (all), Native Instruments (all), there is more.

2. I write music. I make acoustic music, jam music, and Produce Electronic Music (low end mid tempo music). I play live on a Bose F1 system that I purchased.

3. I record music D.I. and with an Aston Origin mic. [I use the Aston Halo for vocals and acoustic. (Blocks reflections extremely well)][INDENT] 3a. D.I.:Focusrite Scarlett 6i6 (open to any audio interface suggestions with some solid preamps).

4. MonitorsUsing JBL lsr308s AND Yamaha Hs7s. I am interested in potentially adding a nicer pair; I just don't know how worth it would be in the room I am in.

5. Headphone. Open to any suggestions, here's what I got; Aiaiai-Young Guru, Beyerdynamic DT 990 Pro, Fischer Audio Maple fa-003 Titanium Driver: Titanium Driver + Maple wooden caps | Fischer Audio

The Goal/Room Layout

The layout and dimensions of the basement are in the pictures. There is a lot of space to play with. It's good because the room is oddly shaped. But it is also not good. And the whole thing is really long. It's 35ft then it cuts off (as you can see in picture A, the left side goes back farther and creates a 117inx9ft pocket (labeled "extra space" in pic). Picture B is taken in the same place but 180 degrees turned.You can see there is another little pocket that sums to the 26in wall. Picture C is from the 117inx9ft pocket/corner.

I was thinking about putting the desk around where I took the pictures, then having the monitors facing/playing to the large part of the room. But what the hell do I know. The main goal is to put it in a place where is is most acoustically sound; then from there, add diffusion/traps/walls/soundproofing etc.-also want to mention the ceiling is the thinnest part of the space. I can hear people stepping upstairs.

I'll take any advice on base traps or things to help with reverb and resonance. I want to get the room sounding as accurate as possible. I have a 1k-2k budget, will to do more if needed. I feel like I may need to reduce the length of the room, and somehow compensate for the low 7ft ceiling. Maybe add some fiberglass soundproof to the door (it's really thin). Things like that possibly.

I'll also love any advice or business tips on possible ways to make income. My dream is to be an audio engineer and record, mix and, master in my studio. It's a slow journey, but I can hear the progress. I defiantly need to gain more confidence mixing in the next couple years, before I rent a space.
I am looking to rent a space here in Brooklyn and invest in professional acoustic treatment. I should have enough saved up about 2.5 years. For now, I am going to work with what I have in my basement. I went to trade school a year ago for Producing, Mixing, and Mastering; I've been practicing ever since. I just have to train my ears and set the room up as well as I can.

Thanks Everyone in advance, any input is highly appreciated.

Picture A sketch-1516090973384.png - Google Drive

Picture B sketch-1516089716313.png - Google Drive

Picture C Basement 2.jpg - Google Drive
7ft ceiling? I don't believe it is possible to treat a ceiling that low. Sorry.
Old 21st January 2018
Gear Guru
Low

That is probably the bad but honest news. If there is a void above that ceiling you might consider removing the plasterboard and installing fluffy insulation in there. Fabric etc. to keep it contained up there. Or you could drill a lot of large holes in it to create a Helmholtz resonant absorber tuned to the Height Mode Frequency.
Mixing/Recording Basement Studio-kl-hole-predictions-2.jpg
DD
Attached Thumbnails
Mixing/Recording Basement Studio-kl-hole-predictions-2.jpg  
Old 5th November 2018
Here for the gear

You can defiantly put a 4 foot(wide) 3 foot (deep) cloud
Above the mixing position to control top end reflection
Just so you know. I cant really get the layout of your room from the pic’s, but i can help you out for sure if i could see it. I have set up countless rooms and mixed
Records that are are still selling today. I love to help new people in a give back way !
Old 10th November 2018
Here are a couple videos of my studio build that may help you. If there is a will there is a way.

Part 1 Sanctuary Studio Control Room Build:
YouTube

Part 2 Sanctuary Studio Live Room Build:
YouTube
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search