The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Speaker/Listening Position in Odd-Shaped Room? Studio Monitors
Old 16th January 2018
Gear Head

Speaker/Listening Position in Odd-Shaped Room?

Hi all,

Just wanted to post a measurement diagram of my room and see if anyone can help me with where I should place my monitors and desk for best listening position? I know a fair bit about room acoustics and have a well treated room at home, but while I'm at college my room is shaped like this, somewhat oddly. If it helps, my ceiling is just under 8 feet. Also, the desk as pictured is to-scale.

I am currently using Yamaha HS5's but may very well switch soon to Focal CMS65's or CMS50's with sub (good or bad idea / which of these two?)

So, what would be the best mixing position here?

Thanks,
-Josh
Attached Thumbnails
Speaker/Listening Position in Odd-Shaped Room?-roomplan.jpg  

Last edited by JoshHPMusic; 16th January 2018 at 11:07 PM..
Old 17th January 2018
Gear Head

bumpp
Old 17th January 2018
Lives for gear

As always with room like this I would try each of the positions and test them using REW. If you are able to do this, it sets you up so much better for the room treatment when you get to that stage - Room EQ Wizard Tutorial - GIK Acoustics
Old 17th January 2018
Gear Head

I will do this kind of thing soon. Although, I can't test infinite possibilities of placement. So would there be perhaps 2 or 3 positions you could recommend as being theoretically best?

Also, I don't have a calibration mic at the moment, so I was wondering if I could use either my CAD M179 (could switch to omni) or SM58?
Old 17th January 2018
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshHPMusic View Post
I will do this kind of thing soon. Although, I can't test infinite possibilities of placement. So would there be perhaps 2 or 3 positions you could recommend as being theoretically best?

Also, I don't have a calibration mic at the moment, so I was wondering if I could use either my CAD M179 (could switch to omni) or SM58?
Definitely the M179, switched to omni, check the frequency response: http://recordinghacks.com/pdf/cad/M179-manual-2001.pdf
Old 17th January 2018
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReDRuMx View Post
Definitely the M179, switched to omni, check the frequency response: http://recordinghacks.com/pdf/cad/M179-manual-2001.pdf
Will do! In the meantime, I've come up with a number of options here for desk placement:

Me facing 1) the longest wall from a few feet away, 2) the 11' wall from a few feet away, or the "cubby" of the room, 3) centered between the big walls and a couple feet back from that outwards corner, or perhaps 4) centered along the 9' wall, 2 or 3 feet back. I've attached a diagram of these possibilities.

I guess what it comes down to is whether I should be more wary of side reflections, rear reflections, or front reflections and the symmetry of each, respectively.

Also, I've got a full size bed that can go either along the 9' wall, or by the far 7' wall. Thoughts?
Attached Thumbnails
Speaker/Listening Position in Odd-Shaped Room?-roomplan2.jpg  
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search