The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Is it worth building a cage of foam around my mic? Effects Pedals, Units & Accessories
Old 12th January 2018
Here for the gear

Is it worth building a cage of foam around my mic?

Hello everybody,

It's my first post, so go easy on me.

For the first time in my life I have a room dedicated to music production and I'm looking to get a very dry no-echo sound for vocals and acoustic guitar (external sound is not a real problem, it's a quiet neighbourhood).

My plan at the moment is to build something that would be the frame of a box (only the frame, with no wood panels), line it with acoustic foam, and then put the mic in there. The box would be about 80cm3 (32square inches), which would mean there would be about 40cm/16inches between the mic and the foam. Then, I'd put some more acoustic foam on the opposite wall (behind me as I sing). I sing pretty close to speaking volume, and play acoustic guitar.

I have a reflexion filter and I think it is not useless, but certainly completely unsuitable for my needs.

Here are my questions:

- Is my plan worthwhile? Or completely not?
- What thickness of foam and what shape (eggshell, pyramid, long pyramid) is best for my needs? For the box and the opposite wall.
- What material (foam, thick blanket, polyfibre) should I put on the wall behind me when i sing?
- Do dynamic mics let less reverb in than condensers? (subquestion)

I would like to spend probably about 75 euros on foam. The box frame I can make out of some old wood that I have lying around.
Old 13th January 2018
Here for the gear

Attached Thumbnails
Is it worth building a cage of foam around my mic?-img_20180113_004501752.jpg  
Old 13th January 2018
Lives for gear

Here`s a video. My apologies.
Old 13th January 2018
Here for the gear

Thanks Barcelona Music (y saludos desde Zaragoza!)

I have a reflexion filter, I have not got good results from it.

But the video you've posted is surprising, his voice sounds great in an untreated room.

Perhaps I need to work on my mic technique?
Old 13th January 2018
Gear Maniac

Hi Teeth,
Sorry but i cant answer your questions because i am in much the same position as yourself but i would be interested to hear how you get on with your booth and if you are happy with the results as i am thinking allong the same lines.
I am surprised you have not gotten more answers but sometimes it takes time here. Paul
Old 13th January 2018
Gear Guru

Reflexion Filters are Fake

Yes what you are doing is well worthwhile.
Quite often the sound is made worse by a Reflection Filter. They are a PR Advertisers and Manufacturers wet dream. Do S.E. own Sound On Sound or vice versa?
How Effective Are Portable Vocal Booths? |
Sell your Reflexion Filters before everyone finds out!

Simple open foam (or fibre) with no backing is much safer. I would use the pyramid kind but double the thickness to make up for half the foam being missing! Or add a layer of flat stuff if you have already ordered.
Stay away from boundaries. I would increase the size of your lid to soften the ceiling reflection which is typically nearest and thus strongest.
ISOVOX 2 Official
DD

Last edited by DanDan; 13th January 2018 at 07:05 PM..
Old 13th January 2018
Gear Head

I did something very similar in my... uhh... vocal closet?

Works great when I want a clean, dry track to work with.
Attached Thumbnails
Is it worth building a cage of foam around my mic?-6fece089-47a9-4759-af0a-bf7f6a6f89fd.jpg  
Old 13th January 2018
Gear Head

@teeeth

I built mine with Rockwool Safe n’ Sound. It’s been my go to for just about all of my builds.

Cheers!
Old 13th January 2018
Here for the gear

It's strange, because on the soundonsound forum everyone told me it was a terrible idea.

Similarly, my teacher told me that singing into a cupboard full of clothes would be effective, but his booth would not.

I bought some pyramid foam because it was the only one available in the store, I'll put it together tomorrow and do some tests.

Thanks to all who have replied.

T
Old 13th January 2018
Gear Guru

Sound Not Sound

SOS frequently publishes blatantly wrong recommendations. The only one I would trust there is Hugh Robjohns.
DD
Old 13th January 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by teeeth View Post
IMG_20180113_004501752.jpg - Google Drive

nobody replied so i just built it. I'll get the foam tomorrow. Any advice on the type, shape, density of foam would be appreciated!
You're making a big mistake in the using of foam, rather than insulation, to cover this thing with, as suggested, safe and sound {roxul} on the inside, surrounded by a layer of 703 or similar rigid insulation would do wonders to the effectiveness of your device. It may require additional framing to securely trap all that insulation, but you look pretty handy with a saw, hammer and nails,
so get on with it.
Avoid foam in this application, it's not dense enough to provide the results
you are seeking....
Light

Temple
Old 15th January 2018
Here for the gear

What is the role of foam? I thought foam was shaped liked that because it avoids reverbing the sound back into the room and would therefore be perfect for the job.
Old 15th January 2018
Gear Guru

Foam

Pyramid Foam is very good at this particular job. The angle is very welcoming to the incoming sound waves. Like almost any other treatment is it better bigger. Particularly as say 4" pyramid foam is really only 2" if you think about it. It can be added to, more layers of foam or 100KG fibre.
DD
Old 16th January 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by teeeth View Post
What is the role of foam? I thought foam was shaped liked that because it avoids reverbing the soud back into the room and would therefore be perfect for the job.
The role of foam is to separate uninformed well intentioned people from their money.
It's a very low quality substitute for real insulation materials, designed to treat minor acoustical problems such as flutter echo or to make a room less reverberant. It can be useful for certain applications, but you need 3 times more of it to get useable results, but if you used real broadband absorption panels, basstraps and insulation, you would need less of it,
it would work much better and cost you much less...the specs are there,
you just have to know how to interpret them...
YYMV
Light

Temple
Old 16th January 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Temple of Light View Post
... foam is ... a very low quality substitute for real insulation materials ...
I thought we have seen (but I cannot find the forum topic) that acoustic (ie. open-cell) foam works well but its problem is that it is sold too thin to do the job and by the time you have bought enough to make it thick enough you have, as your post started, separated a fool and his money.
Old 16th January 2018
Gear Guru

Bubbles

There is a lot of histrionic dislike expressed towards foam on forums such as this. Given the good performance of Basotect, and premium products from RPG, Vicoustic, Primacoustic, etc. etc. this seems strange. We should welcome things which are beneficial acoustically IMO. The price and availability concerns are a difficult calculation. OC703 is vastly expensive and hard to get. That and other fibres have to be wrapped in expensive hard to get fireproof fabric. The great alternative, Polyester, is also very expensive, and can be hard to find.
teeeth, have no doubt, your device will work very well for you. Because it is thin though, keep it away from boundaries. And thicken it if you can.

DD

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search