The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Seperating a garage Studio Monitors
Old 10th January 2018
Here for the gear

Seperating a garage

Hey folks, newbie here and 1st post. So apologies in the event I posted in the wrong place.

I built a studio in my garage. Its 40' long, X 10'.6" length and 8' high. Basically a rectangular cinderblock room. I separated the length at exactly 18' by building a wall. The wall is 7" thick with 2 X 2 inches of 703, and 1 X 3"inch layer of ROXUL Safe n Snd. My studio then is now 18' X 10'.6"X 8'. The garage portion is filled with bikes, lawnmower, boxes, and junk you'd find in most garages, etc...etc..

I do not have bass traps in the corners of the back of my studio thinking the 7" padded wall would suck up the bottom end and by the time it bounced back from the metal garage door as well as reflect and bounce off the junk that's in the garage, well there wouldn't be much waves left to worry about. I do have ROXUL Safe n Snd 8 X 4, 3" bass traps in the corner of the front wall however, and 2 Safe n Snd behind the speakers, as well as 3" 4 X 4 703 traps for my reflection free zone. And a 2" thick 4 X 4 Safe n Snd cloud over my head. I also mistakenly put thick carpet on the concrete floor. Its apparent that I am missing a lot of 80 to 100Hz. at my mix position, and the high end is pretty much non existent where I sit so my mixes translate rather poorly in the high end, and the low end is booming. I have KH 120 speakers as well as EVENT 20/20's. My speakers are not the issue. I am about to tear down everything and start from scratch and only keep my 7' padded wall. Do any folks out there have any suggestions as to how I can make a better mixing environment. Perhaps even tear down my padded wall to take even more length has been suggested. I'm open to opinions... I realise it'll never be perfect, but I'm certain I can make it far better than what it is today. The other question I had, when considering the 38% "rule" would you consider measuring the total length of the garage at 40' or would you consider measuring from the actual length of the studio 18'. May sound like a dumb question, but I've always wanted other opinions. measuring a room. In reading various posts over the years about rooms, modes, construction... I wondered how effective is my wall is.

Anything anyone can contribute would be greatly appreciated.

PeterBingo
Old 11th January 2018
Lives for gear

Start with how things are set up in the room. Speaker & listening position placement can often cause dips in that range.

Also, you will want thicker panels than what you have in areas where bass builds up. See this page to get started on basic strategies, and follow up with remaining questions.
Old 12th January 2018
Here for the gear

Thank you kindly for the reply
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search