The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Behind the VPR unicorn Saturation Plugins
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Behind the VPR unicorn

After studying for weeks all the information available on the web about VPR bass traps, I decided to pursue my first VPR unicorn. The information available is diffuse, which is obvious since VPR is a patent.
Definitely in my small room traps of 1.5 x 1 m would be difficult to place and it is possible that I would reflect the treble to the mix position.
I bet for traps of 1.2 x 0.62 m that will be easier to fit in my room and to which I could add a mid-treble absorber if they reflect me too much.
For this first unicorn hunt I want to use 1mm cold pressed steel or galvanized steel.
My fear is that if I do not cover them, the metal will reflect too much light and my room will look like a hall of mirrors.
What do you think of allowing a little oxidation of the steel and then apply a varnish for stop the corrosion??? It could look like a modern sculpture¡¡
(BARNIZ PARA METAL - Leroy Merlin)
Could the varnish change the response of 1mm steel to low frequencies?
What do you think?

Thank you for your answers¡¡
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

As you noticed correctly, you are building a unicorn, so I wouldn't focus to much brain power on worrying about it being to reflective to light. Make sure you get a fully-functional unicorn first - you can always place a thin layer of whatever in front of it to block light.

But I doubt a thin layer of varnish would affect the LF response at all. With that said, it is an "unknown", so who knows. Try it
Old 1 week ago
Gear Guru

Size Matters

I wouldn't risk building a smaller design. I would assume that the commercial designs and the original inventors made the best choice.
It has been hard to get hold of Isobond, but Don has fixed that CARUSO-ISO-BOND 100mm WLG035 Absorber panel 1560mm x 1090mm, 112,95 &

I nearly went ahead with some of this, may do sometime. Regarding steel I intended getting it professional painted or powder coated. I would imagine galvanised would be a practical cheap option also. Note there are variations with 75mm Fibre, 1mm Steel, 25mm fibre.

DD
Old 1 week ago
Gear Head

What's a vpr unicorn? Is it different to modex plates?
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Thank you all for your time.
It will be better to respect the original measurements. I do not want such big traps to reflect mids and treble to my mix position. So the problem with the cib is that there is no simple solution to cover with a 30mm plate of the same material the steel.
In any case, I imagine that if it can be painted, it can be varnished and that a bit of oxide will not change the acoustic properties of steel.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by lectric View Post
So the problem with the cib is that there is no simple solution to cover with a 30mm plate of the same material the steel.
Maybe I'm misunderstanding something, so maybe what I'm asking makes no sense... But, when you build the VPR - if you get unwanted HF reflections - why don't you just add some relatively thin porous absorber in front of the VPR? Not touching, of course. This will most definitely not influence low-end absorption characteristics of the VPR. If you want to keep the plate exposed for aesthetic effect, then I understand
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReDRuMx View Post
why don't you just add some relatively thin porous absorber in front of the VPR?
Which suggests for 1.5 x 1 meter???
Old 1 week ago
Gear Guru

BCA

Quote:
But, when you build the VPR - if you get unwanted HF reflections - why don't you just add some relatively thin porous absorber in front of the VPR? Not touching, of course.
There are varied VPR designs with a bunch of odd acronyms. CBA BCA.
Compact Broadband absorber. The Modex Plate Broadband is also like this. The clue is in the Model number 30/1/70. As I said earlier, a sandwich of 70mm CIB, 1mm Steel, 30mm CIB.

Quote:
Which suggests for 1.5 X 1 meter???
No entiendo, que dices?

DD

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search