The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Adding Binary Amplitude Diffusion to Broadband Absorption Panels
Old 4th January 2018
Gear Head

Adding Binary Amplitude Diffusion to Broadband Absorption Panels

Say I was able to find a hole pattern for a binary amplitude diffusion panel that is 2' x 4'...

Could I just make one out of thin MDF/ply and slap it on the face of a 4" OC703 panel or....

Are these patterns created with a particular thickness/design of underlying absorption in mind? Are the patterns more or less tuned to a particular absorption panel design?
Old 4th January 2018
Gear Guru

There are certain thickness that is good, but no reason you can't make it out of MDF/PLY and put in on the front of a 4" panel. If nothing else it will help retain the upper frequencies to help keep the room "balanced". Meaning even decay times across all frequencies.
Old 5th January 2018
Here for the gear

Thanks Glenn!

Keeping some high frequency energy preserved in a room where there will be plenty of bass trapping in all corners, hanging traps on the ceiling, and MF/HF panels spaced around the walls is definitely one of the things I would like to accomplish.

If diffusion can be incorporated onto the face of some of the panels (maybe a 3rd or half of them) that would be great too.

These types of designs seem relatively simple if one could arrange with a local CNC shop and provide the materials and design...

Room in question:

Acoustic Treatment Recommedation Request (picture/diagram heavy)
Old 5th January 2018
Gear Guru

[QUOTE]These types of designs seem relatively simple if one could arrange with a local CNC shop and provide the materials and design.../QUOTE]

Yes that is why we have 3 CNC routers and looking to maybe a 4th to keep up with demand!!
Alpha Series Combo Diffusor/Absorber Acoustic Panels - GIK Acoustics
Old 6th June 2019
Here for the gear

I’m interested in using Knauf Black Acoustic panels in building some BAD panels. Does anyone know if I use these panels can I avoid putting cloth in the face of the panel due to its facing?

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search