The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Building a house with a small home hobby recording studio Modular Synthesizers
Old 4th January 2018
Here for the gear

Building a house with a small home hobby recording studio

My fiance and I are preparing to buy land and have a house built, and we will each have our own home office. I plan to use mine as a hobby recording studio. The space available to me is quite small: 8' x 13' (and I'd like to have either a storage closet or shelves along one of the walls, so probably shorten that 13' to 10' or 11').

I don't expect to be able to build a pro-grade studio in this amount of space, but I have design freedom regarding ceiling height/angles, building material, wiring, and other things involving the structure of the room, and can also do some acoustic treatment/soundproofing (though, again, the space is limited, and I don't want to take up the entire room with acoustic treatment; I still need to have space for gear).

Given that the space is limited, but I have the ability to design this room from the ground up, what should I be doing to make this work well as a recording and production space?

(EDIT: I'll also probably be doing a decent amount of PC gaming, writing, and coding in this room; don't know if that will change anything)
Old 5th January 2018
Lives for gear
Look at the tutorials on the GIK site or contact them. You can get advice from professionals and take advantage of their experience, education and training. Because you control some of the build parameters, you’re in a better situation than most convert-a-small-bedroom people.
Be a little distrustful of random advice. Most engineers (myself included) have a very limited understanding of acoustics, and I’ve seen some very incorrect advice given with a lot of conviction. None was intended to mislead, it was just bad science.
If a guy named DanDan offers advice, he’s very knowledgeable and reliable, but he’s in Ireland (I think) so his prices and materials sometimes are not the same as in the US.
Old 6th January 2018
Lives for gear

Is soundproofing required? Or do you just want it to sound good?
Old 7th January 2018
Here for the gear

The priorities, in order of importance:

1) Being able to get acoustic recordings that sound good.

2) Being able to produce tracks (ie monitoring, mixing, etc) effectively.

distant 3) soundproofing
Old 7th January 2018
Lives for gear

With a normal room that small you will have a lot of issues. You would need to have really thick absorption inside making the room even smaller. I think what might work is to make the room out of false walls. So you build the framing for a normal wall, fill it with insulation, but don't put on drywall. Simply cover the insulation with acoustic fabric. You won't get good isolation but all the walls become absorbers, and bass wise effectively the room is bigger since the rigid boundary is much further away.

There is probably other perhaps better options. Like maybe perforated walls. And things like diffusion could help as well. You should hire an acoustic consultant to figure out the optimal details if possible.
Old 15th April 2019
Here for the gear

Similar situation

Hey, How did it go? what did you learn?
I'm building something similar but a bit bigger.
Im starting next week. looking at materials still for the walls.
Let us know how it went?
Old 15th April 2019
Here for the gear

Similar situation link to thread I started

Building a small house for mixing in

Thoughts on how to best let bass escape in a controlled manner with out loosing other qualities of the building.
Old 16th April 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Thoughts on how to best let bass escape in a controlled manner with out loosing other qualities of the building.
Are you sure you want to do that? You have no neighbors around you that would be annoyed by the sound leaving your room? And nothing noisy outside that would annoy you, when that sound came into your room? Cars, trucks, aircraft, thunder, wind, rain, hail, etc....
Old 16th April 2019
Here for the gear

Well yeah thats the difference here! I'm actually building this in the middle of the woods pretty damn far from any neighbours or cars and trucks or aircrafts etc. Rain wind and hail are all mid frequency which is easy to keep out and thunder is pretty rare.
Top Mentioned Products
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search