The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
How much does it cost to soundproof a 12' x 15' drum room in an apartment?
Old 30th December 2017
Here for the gear

How much does it cost to soundproof a 12' x 15' drum room in an apartment?

Hi!

I'm not looking to completely soundproof a drum room since that's likely impossible.

However, something like bringing down drum volumes to about 60dB or less from outside the room (I suppose 70dB is fine because I used to have Zildjian L80 cymbals and everybody was pretty fine with what they're hearing outside.) All be it if I can spend a little more to push the volume down even further, I won't mind spending the money.

I'm moving into an apartment with a room of 12' by 15' where I'll be putting my drums into.
There'll be neighbours surrounding me everywhere :'(

I live in Singapore. Hence the houses are all built from concrete, with some walls that are built with bricks.

I would likely look for a contractor. If the prices are too high for one, then I may look to do DIY but I have no idea how difficult it may be.

Do help me out here!
Thank you
Old 31st December 2017
Lives for gear

Sounds like it could be a very bad situation. I'd hire a contractor.
Old 4th January 2018
Here for the gear

Bump
Old 5th January 2018
Lives for gear

You leave open a gaping big fat question mark? What specifically, kind of construction, is the apartment you are moving into?
Concrete? Brick? Drywall/Studframe? A combination?
No one will help you out with such generalised questions about next to impossible situations...
Light

Temple
Old 5th January 2018
Lives for gear

In the USA, that would cost between 20k and 50k. Keep in mind, you can't just isolate the room - you'll have to fill it with broadband absorbers or you'll go deaf playing in there.

I think it would be best to buy electronic drums...
Old 7th January 2018
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Temple of Light View Post
You leave open a gaping big fat question mark? What specifically, kind of construction, is the apartment you are moving into?
Concrete? Brick? Drywall/Studframe? A combination?
No one will help you out with such generalised questions about next to impossible situations...
Light

Temple
I was asking for a rough idea
Old 7th January 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porkie View Post
I was asking for a rough idea
Even though your original post is still much more than vague as to it's content and intent.
And you offered no further clarification or detail.
Being a nuub, I'mma gonna cut you slack even though you really don't get it yet.

In a drywall type of soundproofing construction {as opposed to brick and mortar,concrete, etc...} there is a completely different set of materials, techniques and requirements, both financially and logistically,
that will dictate the results of your attempt. If you build something like this in a drywall/studframe construction, there are at least 3 seperate levels of STC classification available to your attempt at soundproofing, based on your budget, available materials, and time invested. So, if money is no object, and you have all the time in the world, consider at least 7.5K$ upwards of 10K$ for a 75% reduction in sound transmission. Depends on who's doing the labor and how much it's costing you. If you are trying to build in a concrete or brick building there may be significant building code restrictions and requirements preventing you from even making an attempt at such a project. If you don't know, ask, study, learn and ask some more, so you understand before you start any work, before you spend any money, and before you even commit to such an environment for music production. I do know where you are but not what sort of resources you may have available, but making music at a reasonable level of sound and quality requires a specific environment optimised for it's creation, if you start out with less than ideal, it will go downhill fast, and end up costing you exponentially more to make your space adequate. Start with something close to the ideal, meaning, isolated from neighbors, and exterior sources of sound, such as freeways, shopping malls, and apartment complexes, and you could easily spend the above amounts mentioned on just the acoustical treatment required to get to a semi-pro environment; a real studio costs a lot in terms of time of design, materials , construction costs and ongoing overhead such as rent/mortgage, electricity, etc...to say nothing whatsoever of the gearsluttiness involved in such a pursuit....I've dropped six figures plus on just gear, and I'm not done yet.
The ultimate goals of musicians have to do with a stable environment, a solid ability to sustain it long term, and resources enough to do such a lifestyle, and environment at a level that isn't subject to ongoing ridicule or contempt.
You may wish to reconsider...
YYMV
Light

Temple

Last edited by Temple of Light; 7th January 2018 at 09:48 PM..
Old 7th January 2018
Lives for gear

Old 12th January 2018
Here for the gear

Go and hire a practice space!! What you're planning to do is.. pretty much mission impossible.
Old 12th January 2018
Lives for gear

It will cost too much.
Then again, it may not cost enough.

But that room sounds very tough.

Last edited by Salty James; 13th January 2018 at 12:15 AM..
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search