The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Knauf with foil backing or no backing?
Old 3 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by avare View Post
Thank you for the information. Unless you monitor at supr high levels you will have no problem with sound pressure level.
Not really positive I got this REW test right. From the video it seemed that once I set up a loop back in the soundcard calibration that I left the loop back input out connection in while using the microphone for measurements?

Here is the first measurement. I guess this is the way to share it.
Attached Files
File Type: mdat 1 Cal Measure Position 1.mdat (1.95 MB, 7 views)
Old 3 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Foi View Post
Correct
You think I did this test right, Jason?
Attached Files
File Type: mdat 1 Cal Measure Position 1.mdat (1.95 MB, 4 views)
Old 3 weeks ago
Maybe I was just supposed to post screen shots and not the files? Tomorrow Iโ€™m gonna try again and screenshot as I go through the process of doing the REW then maybe someone can tell me if Iโ€™m doing it right or wrong.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLDNOOB View Post
Maybe I was just supposed to post screen shots and not the files? Tomorrow Iโ€™m gonna try again and screenshot as I go through the process of doing the REW then maybe someone can tell me if Iโ€™m doing it right or wrong.
I haven't checked it in years, but REW had good documentation on its site/in the program for setup and use. Might be worth referring to so you hit all the steps.
Old 3 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle P. Gushue View Post
I haven't checked it in years, but REW had good documentation on its site/in the program for setup and use. Might be worth referring to so you hit all the steps.
Thank you. I will do that. I thought it was all in the video.
Old 3 weeks ago
Quote:
Not really positive I got this REW test right. From the video it seemed that once I set up a loop back in the soundcard calibration that I left the loop back input out connection in while using the microphone for measurements?

Here is the first measurement. I guess this is the way to share it.
That looks like you measured the loopback.

You make a calibration file that allows REW to measure any changes the hardware is causing so that it can later account for those changes.

Once you have the calibration file, you don't need the loopback hardwiring for the next stage.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Thank you. I will do that. I thought it was all in the video.
it might be, i haven't watched the vid, but gik is generally reliable.
Old 3 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Caffrey View Post
That looks like you measured the loopback.

You make a calibration file that allows REW to measure any changes the hardware is causing so that it can later account for those changes.

Once you have the calibration file, you don't need the loopback hardwiring for the next stage.
That what I thought. In the GIK REW video they don't mention removing the loopback cables.

Thanks Mike!
Old 3 weeks ago
Appreciate Guys. I'll try again tomorrow.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Appreciate Guys. I'll try again tomorrow.
Lol, hang in there. There's a big learning curve, but you're making progress.
Old 3 weeks ago
Quote:
Thanks Jason,
It looks liked maybe the REW software has been updated since the GIK video.
It seemed different but maybe I opened the wrong template. I think it also was because like Mike said I had loopback still going on and maybe my channel selection messed up. Iโ€™ll try again tomorrow.
Old 3 weeks ago
Quote:
I meant Knauff R-38.

My guess is that there are companies that make the exact same thing, but I don't keep track of that.
Hi Mike,
So I got around to checking the Knauf production available. Roxul has the market cornered. Only one place so far has it and it is R-40 16" $36.00 a bag.
Old 3 weeks ago
Quote:
Hi Mike,
So I got around to checking the Knauf production available. Roxul has the market cornered. Only one place so far has it and it is R-40 16" $36.00 a bag.
Do you have a link, so that I can be sure I'm looking at the exact same thing.

Is that 16 inches deep or wide? 48 tall or a roll?

How does the cost compare to the other things you've been looking at?
Old 3 weeks ago
Quote:
Do you have a link, so that I can be sure I'm looking at the exact same thing.

Is that 16 inches deep or wide? 48 tall or a roll?

How does the cost compare to the other things you've been looking at?
Must be this. I thought she said 40 but its R-49.
https://www.knaufnorthamerica.com/en...lation/ecobatt

The other stuff they sell is

https://www.rockwool.com/products/sa...ications&Sizes
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Maybe I was just supposed to post screen shots and not the files?
Always post Screenshots plus files Why?

A Screenshot will show an example of your question. The files (L & R swept individually) gives us the opportunity to dive deeper to find more details about your set up & room

RE Calibration.
Modern Soundcards have a very good FR so the SC calibration shouldnโ€™t be needed but...
Such a file can reveal user mistakes, like feedback. (Direct Monitoring must be switched off while measuring)

A bit similar to measuring a PA system with live vocal mikes...

Pic 1 your sound card. Pic 2 Soundcard with Feedback from Direct monitoring.

Best
Attached Thumbnails
Knauf with foil backing or no backing?-sc-test-1-oct.jpg   Knauf with foil backing or no backing?-combing.jpg  
Old 3 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by akebrake View Post
Always post Screenshots plus files Why?

A Screenshot will show an example of your question. The files (L & R swept individually) gives us the opportunity to dive deeper to find more details about your set up & room

RE Calibration.
Modern Soundcards have a very good FR so the SC calibration shouldnโ€™t be needed but...
Such a file can reveal user mistakes, like feedback. (Direct Monitoring must be switched off while measuring)

A bit similar to measuring a PA system with live vocal mikes...

Pic 1 your sound card. Pic 2 Soundcard with Feedback from Direct monitoring.

Best
Thank you very much.
I will try that.
Old 3 weeks ago
Well, I think I figured out the room testing. I did a few.
Feedback wanted.
Attached Files
File Type: mdat rem test1.mdat (1.59 MB, 0 views) File Type: mdat REW ROOM TEST 1 OCT1.mdat (5.86 MB, 0 views) File Type: mdat RME REW TEST OCT 1.mdat (1.59 MB, 1 views) File Type: mdat Soundcard TEST OCT 1 10 am.mdat (1.59 MB, 0 views)
Old 3 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by avare View Post
Attached is calibration file for an ECM8000. It may need some formatting adjustment. Errors installing is a sign.

I wrote "an ECM800" because they are infamous for variability. See the attached jpg.
Avare, What do I do with the zip file you sent me?
Old 3 weeks ago
Quote:
I may try this one more time tomorrow but I'm not getting it. I'm going to go back to the link you sent me about doing measurement. The videos don't help. It looks like maybe because I use PC everything looks different. Here is the best I could get.
Attached Thumbnails
Knauf with foil backing or no backing?-last-rew-shot.jpg  
Old 3 weeks ago
last try.
Attached Files
File Type: mdat rewlastb.mdat (370.9 KB, 2 views)
Old 3 weeks ago
Quote:
last try.
You need to limit the sweep from 20hz to 20,000 khz if you are measuring your listening monitors.

And measure left and right separately if monitors only.

In the measurement there is some clipping showing up at 22.75hz. Are the woofers ok on speakers or subwoofer? Is the dust cap loose? Worth a check.

Also its looking like your measurement modal activity is not lining up with the predicted.

You have SBIR at 78.3hz that is contributing to the deep null around 79hz.
Old 3 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by thethrillfactor View Post
You need to limit the sweep from 20hz to 20,000 khz if you are measuring your listening monitors.

In the measurement there is some clipping showing up at 22.75hz. Are the woofers ok on speakers or subwoofer? Is the dust cap loose? Worth a check.
Thank you. I will try to limit the sweep and check the other problems. There is No subwoofer. Not even sure if I got input outputs right. The template looks different than other videos.
Attached Thumbnails
Knauf with foil backing or no backing?-last-rew-shot.jpg   Knauf with foil backing or no backing?-1b.png  
Old 3 weeks ago
Quote:
Thank you. I will try to limit the sweep and check the other problems. There is No subwoofer.
I don't think you need to limit the sweep as 75db average is good.

Just measure each speaker separate. Also the clipping at 22.75hz can be anything, but worth checking the monitors. If you want just click the signal generator, click tones and type in 22.75hz. and play the sine wave.

See if you hear any rattling or something else.
Old 3 weeks ago
Quote:

Just measure each speaker separate. Also the clipping at 22.75hz can be anything, but worth checking the monitors. If you want just click the signal generator, click tones and type in 22.75hz. and play the sine wave.

Oky Doke

appreciate it!
Old 3 weeks ago
Quote:

Both monitors sound the the same. Vibrating woofer but no rattle. What do you mean by I don't need to limit sweep as 75db average is good?
Old 3 weeks ago
Quote:
Both monitors sound the the same. Vibrating woofer but no rattle.
Well then you might ok and it might be an anomaly.

Quote:
What do you mean by I don't need to limit sweep as 75db average is good?
75db is the average that's recommended for the sweep. Your measurement looks to be around 75db average which is fine. Just measure left and right separately so it doesn't overload the measurement and you can analyze each speaker in space separately.
Old 3 weeks ago
Quote:
Well then you might ok and it might be an anomaly.

75db is the average that's recommended for the sweep. Your measurement looks to be around 75db average which is fine. Just measure left and right separately so it doesn't overload the measurement and you can analyze each speaker in space separately.
Ok. Thank you. Iโ€™ll try again with each speaker separate and hopefully Iโ€™ll figure it out.
Old 3 weeks ago
Quote:
Ok. Thank you. Iโ€™ll try again with each speaker separate and hopefully Iโ€™ll figure it out.
You are pretty much there.

The difficult part is coming as you have some serious issues in the low end right now.

You have a serious "meteor crater" wide hole between 60hz-125hz that will take a lot of work to repair.
Old 3 weeks ago
Quote:
You are pretty much there.

The difficult part is coming as you have some serious issues in the low end right now.

You have a serious "meteor crater" wide hole between 60hz-125hz that will take a lot of work to repair.
An asteroid hole. But did I do a proper measurement? I'm not so sure. I'll try and thank you for your encouragement. It is sounding like everyone was right about going thick insulation all over the plaCE.
Old 3 weeks ago
Quote:
But did I do a proper measurement?
If you are just looking at frequencies between 20hz and 200hz then yeah its fine.
But as we know there is more to the range of hearing than frequencies below Schroeder.

Just do what you did before and measure left and right separately, 20hz to 20khz and then it will get even more fun.
๐Ÿ“ Reply