The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
I just moved my monitors 6 feet apart and . .
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

I just moved my monitors 6 feet apart and . .

I have a whole new room/listening experience!

My 13' x16' room is treated with rockwool bass traps in corners, and lots of broadband absorption, plus ceiling cloud. I have had my speakers spaced about 3 feet apart for a long time, and decided to try a wider spacing.

Oh my.

It's like I have this huge soundstage! Instruments that were hard to place in the stereo image are now as if they are right in front of me. At this point, I don't care if it's "accurate" . .. I'm just digging listening to all the music I love in a new way!
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

The best way to decide speakers position is using a software measurement. You can even use ears plugs for this, while looking at the graphics improvement :-) . 3 for 6 feet is a huge difference. I´d say 1" is noticiable, and change the things for better or worse, and it´s a matter of measure (and let the ears decide of course, as you did in your room). Also what you´re hearing is probably more low end - since the speakers are closer to the side walls.
Old 5 days ago
Gear Addict

The shorter they placed near the wall, they more comes the comp-filtering in an area where our ears working more accurate (if there is not good absorption placed).
To check a good place a measuring system is fine for lower frequencies. But for (low) mids and above you must use your ears, which working much better than any measuring instrument.

Maybe now you are having more space between your speaker and your ears also?
A lot of people sitting (much) too close to their 2-way (or more) speaker system. Then it isn´t possible to have a perfect middle, reflections from the table or mixer tiring your ears and a lot of other things. This is very stressful for your ears/brain because it isn´t natural.

Finally the exact same distance to your speakers for left and right side is very important (use a laser distance meter).
If you doing that all correct and your speaker is good enough you should have the feeling that the singer is directly in front of you on good records.
Old 4 days ago
Gear Guru

Radical

3 feet from tweeter to tweeter? That seems extremely narrow.
6 seems fine depending on room size, mine are currently at 5 feet.
But as Ciro said, measuring can greatly help in determining the best location for each speaker, the two combined, and the listener position. All of which are interdependent.
Quote:
The shorter they placed near the wall, they more comes the comp-filtering in an area where our ears working more accurate (if there is not good absorption placed
Sorry but I would have to disagree. Most speakers have little to no HF or MF to the rear. At LF, comb filtering, the SBIR null, is non existent when the speaker is flush in the wall. Next best is as close as possible. The often seen 2-3 feet from the wall will create a massive null in the 70-100 area, which will probably coincide with the ceiling floor null.
DD
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanDan View Post
3 feet from tweeter to tweeter? That seems extremely narrow.
6 seems fine depending on room size, mine are currently at 5 feet. . . .
Most speakers have little to no HF or MF to the rear. At LF, comb filtering, the SBIR null, is non existent when the speaker is flush in the wall. Next best is as close as possible. The often seen 2-3 feet from the wall will create a massive null in the 70-100 area, which will probably coincide with the ceiling floor null.
DD
Honored to have you respond to my thread.
My speakers are indeed flush against the wall. Maybe 4 feet to either side wall. It's just my amazement at how the stereo picture opened up with this wider spacing. And it helps that a) my room is fairly well damped, and b) I'm using DIRAC live. All I want to do is sit here and listen to music I love, especially my ECM collection.

I guess some actual mixes done with this setup will tell more.
Old 4 days ago
Gear Guru

Honour

Thank you for the kind words. A refreshing change from way too much of the opposite we see around here.

Same here. Highly damped, Neumann KH320, Dirac Live.
I use variations on the Bruel and Kjaer curve, which softens the too clear sound in a highly damped room, and causes very reliable translation to other peoples speakers.

DD
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear
Did I miss where the OP stated the distance from the speaker line to the listener?
If you don’t have a console and sit three feet from the speaker line, a six foot split doesn’t seem right. Yes, the stereo field will be dramatic to you, but in the mixes...?
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushman View Post
Did I miss where the OP stated the distance from the speaker line to the listener?
If you don’t have a console and sit three feet from the speaker line, a six foot split doesn’t seem right. Yes, the stereo field will be dramatic to you, but in the mixes...?
I'm in an equilateral triangle. Six, six, and six.
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
I use variations on the Bruel and Kjaer curve, which softens the too clear sound in a highly damped room, and causes very reliable translation to other peoples speakers.

DD
I shall seek out this B&K curve . . .
And I note with an Irish twinkle (my great-grandfather was keeper of the locks at Monasterevan) your proper spelling of "honour".
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by robert82 View Post
We’re you 3, 3 and 3 before, or were you 6, 6, and 3? If you were the latter, you should be more correct now, and the sound field should translate well.

Last edited by Bushman; 4 days ago at 03:45 AM..
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Thank you for the kind words. A refreshing change from way too much of the opposite we see around here.

Same here. Highly damped, Neumann KH320, Dirac Live.

DD
Do you have a link or an explanation of the B&K curve?
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert82 View Post
Old 3 days ago
Mentioned Products
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search