The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Looking for Suggestions - DIY Sound Treatment for 2nd Bedroom
Old 9th October 2017
Here for the gear

Looking for Suggestions - DIY Sound Treatment for 2nd Bedroom

First off - sorry for the long post, but I'm hoping someone with experience can provide some insight...

I've finally decided to put some money into treating my mix room. I've held off - mainly because I'm renting and know I will be moving, but after some thought have decided to build some bass traps that are sturdy enough to take with me when I go. I bought 2 6-packs of OC703 and started making plans on what to build and where to place them, but before I dive in I thought I'd see what the GS world thinks.

About the room - 105"x128"x88" - Basic dry wall and hard wood floor
If Wall A is the wall in front of the listening position and the rest are named clockwise...
Wall A has a window about 16" from the corner of Wall B
Wall B has a closet about midway and a door in the corner of Wall B/C
Wall C is blank
Wall D has a window midway

My plan right now is to build 12"x12"x16.9" triangular (or super chunk) corner traps to go floor-to-ceiling in the two corners of Wall A (I would do 24"x24"x33.9" but I have the window in the corner).

After that I can do 6 2'x2'x4" squares to place on the walls - probably 3 turned on their sides (diamond-like) across the wall behind the listener and I could place the others on the remaining walls. Or I could place one additional on the wall and make one 2'x4'x4" panel to hang from the ceiling.

I've seen some threads out there about building these traps and placing them, but realize every room is different and am hoping that some folks could provide some insight based on their experience/knowledge. Thanks!
Old 9th October 2017
Gear Guru

Go

No worries. Same old story for anyone starting out, multiply what you are considering by four then multiply that by four again..... The smaller Studiotips SuperChunk is really disappointing in my experience, while the large one is great. Consider different shapes, square or rectangular, like SoffiTraps.
You will need to eliminate early reflections at the mirror points. At both sides and over head. This will take at least six 2'x4'x4" traps. I don't think anything under four inches is worth the frame.
etc. etc. do you best and go for more as soon as you can.
Here's a great DIY trap design by a client of mine. Another client used six inch duct with four inch fibre to include the air gap.
Best DIY Trap EVER

DD
Old 10th October 2017
Lives for gear

Yeah, agreed with DanDan. If you have a limited amount of material, 4" thick panels seem to be the sweet spot for cost-effectiveness probably because you can maximize coverage area. If you can cover all the surfaces you need to (all 12 corners, reflection points, rear wall) and have more material, then start making the panels thicker.
Old 10th October 2017
Here for the gear

Thanks for the advice! I've considered just making panels for the corners, but have also read that using flat panels in corners requires a large room so that the panels can be pulled away from the wall. I don't have a lot of space to work with, but I could fill the two corners with 4" panels (1 2'x4' and 2'x40" each corner) and that would leave me with 4 2'x4' panels I could use to make additional traps. Maybe 1 2x4 above listening position and 2 2x2's for the side walls? Would that make sense for the corners? Thanks!
Old 11th October 2017
Lives for gear

For DIY I generally opt for 2'x4' panels all the way around, mostly so I don't have to deal with cutting fiberglass or rockwool. But sure, make them smaller if you need to do so to fit them in place. Just remember coverage area in the room is just as important as the thickness of each trap, arguably more so.
Old 12th October 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWL.GIK View Post
For DIY I generally opt for 2'x4' panels all the way around, mostly so I don't have to deal with cutting fiberglass or rockwool. But sure, make them smaller if you need to do so to fit them in place. Just remember coverage area in the room is just as important as the thickness of each trap, arguably more so.
In canada we can only easily get the 3" safe and sound. Should I do a 4" deep frame which would include a 1" air gap or go for 6" deep traps with no air gap? Not a lot of options..
Old 19th October 2017
Lives for gear

If it was up to me I'd say go 6" if budget supports it.
Old 19th October 2017
Quote:
If it was up to me I'd say go 6" if budget supports it.
Budget is not a problem, it's just that 6" just starts to take a lot of real estate. Currently my options will be either 6" of SnS or 4" of OFI-48 (basically oc703) if I can source it, there is a possibility in town.
Old 20th October 2017
Lives for gear

If budget is no object go 6". You'll appreciate the extra 3" lost because of the upgrade in sound quality.
Old 21st October 2017
Gear Nut

Quote:
If budget is no object go 6". You'll appreciate the extra 3" lost because of the upgrade in sound quality.
Is this achieved with 4" fiber or wool and 2" fluffy stuff?

and on a scale of 1-10 where do you rank 2/4/6 in. Fiberglass Treatments at in comparison to each other at 16 points in a room? (Two on each wall and corners)
Old 23rd October 2017
Lives for gear

If I had 16, 6" panels in a small, rectangular room, I'd put them in in the following order:
  • 2 per front corners
  • 2 at side reflection points
  • 2 on ceiling reflection points
  • 2 on rear corners
  • 2 more on front corners
  • 2 more on rear corners
  • 2 on rear wall
  • 2 more on side walls (2 total per side wall)

There's a lot of flexibility here, but usually close to that order is what I'd prioritize.
Old 24th October 2017
Quote:
Ok, i can see how 6" is better but how much better are we talking about for early reflections and walls? When I did some plots there was not a huge improvement of 6" vs 4" oc703 1" away from wall. I also feel wood sides when we're at 6" starts to be a bit expensive and heavy. But I don't see examples of metal sides, SnS is very floppy, definitely needs to be properly framed.
Old 27th October 2017
Gear Nut

https://photos.app.goo.gl/CGVzAbvaivnnBslt2
Hope you can see those.
Does this deconstruction alter how I should go about setting the room up? Do these openings open up enough to call that direction my short wall or make it more like one room, or should I still treat them as two separate rooms?
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search